cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding it impossible to accept diagnosis

118 REPLIES 118

Re: Finding it impossible to accept diagnosis

Thanks Kerry. Smiley Happy

I will post on here after my op and let you know how it went.

Good luck and very best wishes to you to on your journey.

Hazel. xx

Hi Haz, I think pain is individual. Some ladies get very little and some get more. I had quite a bit of pain and ate painkillers like smarties for 3 weeks after surgery which perplexed me as I've had several ops in the past including incision abdominal hysterectomy and taken virtually  no pain killers. Reason I'm telling you this is because if you need to take them......take them and don't suffer. I would say however the pain was more from SNB than the op site.  I was given codine and also took ibuprofen and paracetamol. I was given codine when I was discharged as a day patient but watch the constipation with it if you take it and get something to help (some hospitals give you a laxative when they give you codine). 

Re driving - due to insurance purposes, I was told by the med team not to drive until I went back for my results and to check my wound which was 2 1/2 weeks later. I think different hospital trusts say different things from reading posts on driving. But due to the pain I was feeling from SNB it was another week before I felt comfortable enough to drive.   I am left side poorly boob so obviously gear changes etc were not easy. I'm a confident driver and drive a lot as I commute an 80 mile round trip to work and back in normal life. You are right, speak to your med team about driving and do a test drive before. All the best to you on your journey. Kerry xxx

Haha Charys......there was no way I was giving up my bedroom. Up and down too much in the night with bloody night sweats and need the ensuite to strip wash and cool down. On top of that my step son decorated the spare room as he was going to move in with us (and didn't....that's another story). he's a goth and in to death metal so you can imagine the colours/decor 😱😱😱. I'd be having nightmares if I work up in there and think I'd gone to hell lol 

Hi jackie

I am new to this forum... i am also having 6- 8 cycles and am starting hopefully late next week. I also have long hair so am getting it cut short sometime this week. I have gone a bit beserk ordering all different headwear on line but hey we deserve to spoil ourselves...best of luck when you start your chemo

Tracy xx

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge ladies. Smiley Happy

Jobey68 I'm also usually sick after General Anesthetics but have learned to tell them this so they can give me anti-sickness meds. I had a Cystoscopy last year at the same hospital, and the anaesthetist was brilliant, he took all my issues on board (One time I came round in a complete state of panic) and gave me extra anti sickness and sedative meds and I felt fine when I woke up.So I'm going to see if they still have my notes from that (not holding out much hope though) they lost my Kardex info after the cystoscopy so even my GP doesn't know what meds I got.

Re: driving, I'm thinking about 2 weeks but hoping that I'll be able to drive after 7-10 days, I'll have to wait and see, have a wee test drive round the car park etc.

I'm seeing the surgeon who is doing my op after my pre op on the 5th May before my op on 11th May so can bombard her with questions then!

Take care ladies. xx

Charys
Community Champion

I shall be driving myself to my outpatient appointment for dressing removal tomorrow. Had a quick test today, this being day 6 after surgery, and all good :0) arm movement entirely normal, infact I tested that I can reach up behind my back and touch the back of my neck with my hand, and put arm straight up with no probs, and no issues with the seatbelt. I guess everyone is different depending on how the surgery went and where it was. 

yeeeesssss, the padding thing, I didn't realise that now and again a bit of extra 'spongey something' helps , so have been using nice soft socks in my bra to stop rubbing if needed. The dressing areas are thick, deliberately so to apply some pressure to the incision sites. 

CHarys x

In the booklet I was given it said you could drive when you could wear the seat belt without being in pain or discomfort & felt safe to do so. I drove after 3 wks & was fine. I might be stating the obvious but the first time just go a short distance even if it's just up & down your street just to see how it feels. X

It's really not a bad op, the node site was more uncomfortable then the lumpectomy one , mine was right in the crease of my arm pit and it did sting for a few days but nothing a few paracetamol couldn't sort, I was expecting far worse so was really pleased with how it was and how well I felt, you will have dressings on which are quite padded and I personally couldn't wear a bra and found it more comfortable with a tight stretch vest under my top, I drove after about 9 or 10 days and was ok, I just took it stready and only went a few miles  to visit my Cousin, codeine makes me really sick and anaesthetic does too but I mention it before hand and they gave me something to help prevent it and I woke up feeling fine thankfully, I walked out of hopistal within a few hours of coming back from my op and can honestly say I was on cloud nine! By the time I went back for my results 2 weeks later my dressings were off and everything had healed really well Xx 

Thanks for your replies ladies.

It's reassuring that you all weren't in too much pain. I only ever take paracetamol for pain relief. I can't take ibuprofen as I have asthma and stomach problems. I was given codeine last year when I put my back out but stopped taking them as they made be feel sick.

I expect to be a bit uncomfortable and fully intend to keep my sports bra on day and night. Someone else on here said they used maternity nursing pads to "cushion" any rubbing from the bra against the wounds so I'll buy some of those just in case.

Charys, I expect the site of the node removal to be the more painful/uncomfortable of the two. My lump is quite high up on breast too.

Do any of you drive? Were you given any indication of when you might be able to start driving again?

Thanks again for sharing all your experiences, it's really most helpful.

Kind regards to you all. xx

I wasn't given any medication after my op just told to take paracetamol and ibuprohen every 4 hrs if needed, I can't take anything stronger as makes me feel awful! Luckily I didn't have any real pain so didn't need it xx 

Charys
Community Champion

Yeah sorry I should have said that, if you need paracetamol or ibuprofen then so be it, everyone is different. Nerves get 'twanged' ( medical term lol) in individual ways x

I was sent home with codeine (I can't spell!!!) & only took 2 as they made me feel woozy but like Charys I didn't really have any pain so didn't take anything else. But everyone is different so if you are in pain take something & don't think there's anything wrong if you are & we weren't - if you see what I mean? Anita x

Charys
Community Champion

I Know it s a god send the advice on here isn't it! The care seems to vary so much nationally, and even from county county, and between individual hospitals. I have to say it was my surgeon who sent me off for the bras and gave that advice, my BCN didn't say a thing.

Our hospital gave no medication at all following day patient surgery, they quoted that on their pre op assessment literature. I know I was given a whack of ibuprofen and some local painkiller injections during surgery, but then that was it. I was asked on the morning of the surgery what painkillers I would be using once home and said paracetamol ( I had bought some ready and was prepared to use them) However, I have to say I've not had a single painkiller since those two things given at the time of surgery. It has been very manageable. Now, that might just be me, I have most dental work done without pain relief either and didn't need anything after my Caesarian either, I seem to mentally tolerate pain quite well.

You know what though once firmly strapped into that bra there has only been limited pain and that has been when the breast tissue has been moved. I have found some positions better than others, and at times I have been found 'ferreting about' moving things slightly in the bra, to find a position with no pain. Sitting down with my chest resting on a pillow and the bra on gave total relief. I think it depends on where the site of the lumpectomy is. Mine is very high where the breast pulls down on it. Night time has been most annoying as I never sleep on my back, but have had to. For the first couple of nights I had a pillow out to the side to rest my arm out on, as the discomfort was worse from the node removal that the lumpectomy!! 

I am very much of the attitude that some discomfort stops you doing anything silly, and damaging things. I would say that within three days my arm was back to being able to move just fine and today I feel like things are almost back to normal. I've been vacuum in and cleaning almost as normal. Oh joy! Lol

You will be SO relieved to get this over with, and I hope you will be as surprised as I am by how quickly the body reacts to healing and how manageable it is following surgery. Keep that bra on night and day. I'll be here ready to hear how you've got on.

Charys x

Hi Charys,

I'm a few week behind you diagnosis/treatment wise. I'm booked in for lumpectomy/Sentinal Node Biopsy on 11th May. You seem to be recovering well from your surgery, you'll be glad to get the dressings off tomorrow I'm sure!

Can I just ask if they gave you any painkillers home with you after your op? Or were you able to manage with over the counter pain relief.  I realise everyone is different.

I phoned by BCN once to ask about bras after lumpectomy and she couldn't get me off the phone fast enough so I won't be contacting her again. I've found much, much more helpful information on this site/forum.

I've got sports bras but I wasn't even told I would need them, only found out on here.

Good luck tomorrow. x

Charys
Community Champion

Hey Jackie,

ive not heard A WORD from her since my one and only meeting, no call. I guess I could call her if I needed to ask her anything, but to be honest I find the replies and answers I need on here instead. I had lumpectomy/ wide local excision surgery to remove the tumour and sentinel node removal last Tuesday, dressing will be whipped off at an outpatients tomorrow lol I am awaiting full biopsy results on the removed tissue and to find out if margins were clear. Then I am due radiotherapy in the following weeks. The consultant said that chemo would be discussed based on the results, but didn't feel it was a high possibility I would need it ( as we all know things change and most of us will do whatever is required to rid ourselves of this 'problem')

So your first treatment is chemo ? You sound very caring to donate your hair, and so positively taking control of the next few weeks of your life.   I have a friend who is now two years clear, who said that she found it was very 'do-able'.

How do I feel? Better than I did a few weeks ago lol I am now finding myself talking about normal things more than I was then, when my whole head was filled with fear and questions. I felt denial for a number of weeks, but am now feeling trust in the medical team and feel glad that treatment has started. I can see why you are 'ready to go' as it does make a difference mentally to be dealing with things.

As a new member you need to ask a moderator to give you access to the PM function. I am more than happy to chat via PM when you have it. The are lots of people on the 'going through treatment' section of this forum, who will have lots of experience to share about the chemo, drop on over if you haven't already....

Take good care of yourself xxx

Hi Charys

Thanks for the reply.

It is a real shame to hear your breast care nurse isn't exactly on the ball with you.  Thinking about it, I haven't really heard much from mine.  She did say I could call and did phone me once a couple of weeks ago.  It is great that you have a Someone Like Me lady to really talk things through with.  I feel the same as you, that my lady 'gets' me.  We speak for an hour once a week; I have found it so beneficial.  Her story is so similar to mine...it's a little freaky!

I have my chemo plan now, and will start in the next 2 weeks.  I go for my pre-assessment tomorrow.  They are giving me 8 rounds rather than the usual 6.  Gulp.

When are you starting chemo, or are you having your op first?  How do you feel about it all?  I feel that I just want to get started, I'm ready with my headscarves!  I have really long hair so I'm having it cut into a bob on Wednesday evening and am going to give my hair to charity, The Princess Trust I think, so hopefully some little girl can have a nice wig from it.  I am gutted to lose it though....and apparently it comes back white and curly!

Thanks for responding to me on here, I really appreciate the contact.

Big hugs

Jx

Charys
Community Champion

Done the same!!! Except I am in the spare room as it is nicer and more cosy than our bedroom. I am so loving having my own little girl space. No idea when I will be ready to move back into our bedroom......could be ages......Woman Very Happy

Yeah sleeping can be a problem but I've found the perfect solution........ I've kicked my other half out the bed and sent him to the spare room. Starfishing every night seems to have worked for me. Doubt I'll ever let him back in and as I. About to start rads I've got the perfect excuse for a few more weeks 👍

Charys
Community Champion

Thanks KMK, March 3 rd I first went to the GP with the 'anomaly' ( that's what my surgeon referred to it as , and I quite like the term lol) and last night I slept for the first time fairly properly. It's quite amazing isn't it what the human body can cope with when it has to! I know others have experienced the insomnia too, but it's a real downer and underestimated how draining it is on those who are recently diagnosed . 3 or 4 hours of fitful tossing and turning for weeks on end, make it so hard to cope. So, JAckie, or anyone else, I advise seeing your doctor if your sleep is affected. 

CHarys x

@JackieCole16 wrote:

Thanks so much ladies for your prompt and helpful responses.  It makes me feel better being a little connected to others who are going through the same.

I will definitely book an appointment at M&S - thanks for the tip. 

I work in an office, but have been told not to go in as I travel on public transport (train) into London and have been told that is too great a risk.  So work are fine for me to work from home.  I hoped to do be able to do 10 days in 20, as I've been warned I'm likely to be poorly up to day 10 on the 3 week cycles, and poorly the first week on the 2 weekly cycles.  But my oncologist said that as I do not have an easy job it is highly likely I won't be able to focus enough to get the work done...

I go to college at the weekends too, and I really don't want to give that up either.  I don't see why this thing should stop me!  But maybe I am being unrealistic, I don't know....I guess I will just have to see how I feel and take it from there.

Has anyone else used the charity 'Someone Like Me'?  I have and it is proving so helpful.   I speak with a wonderful lady every week, and she has really had some useful information for me.  Lots of tips.  I would thoroughly recommend them if you haven't already found someone.

Are all you ladies also new to this?  It sounds as though we are all at a similar stage, albeit a few weeks apart.

Thanks again and sending big hugs

Jxx

Hi Jackie,

It's great that you can work from home if this is something you are able to manage and also great that you want to continue with college.  I've done a lot of studying in the last few years so understand why you would not want to give it up. Actually it might be useful to have something to really concentrate as long as your tutors are able to offer you flexibility if you need it to meet assignment deadlines etc.  It is always worth asking! I've been looking at which courses I can do from home online as I had to give up my paid employment and want a focus, although right now I am trying to get organised at home for all the changes we're facing as a family and it is taking a lot of energy, mental as well as physical.  I am trying to see some opportunities in all this. 

I am quite new to all this, about two months now since I first went to the doctors about my lump...to begin with I couldn't face reading too much on here as it made me fearful but now I have startrd to come to terms with what is going in and what I am likely to face I am finding the forum an enormous help. I hope you do too.

Love and hugs to you and everyone else, OAD X

Hi Jackie, sorry you find yourself here but welcome!

Just been reading your post about work and my advice to you is wait and see. I think I have a similar work situation to you (high demanding job and I commute an 80 mile round trip normally on a daily basis) and when I was first diagnosed I planned to work as much as I could from home. I have not had chemo, had lumpectomy end of Feb and worked 30 hours a week from home through March. But I found I wasn't at the same capacity work level wise and it was causing problems both for work understanding and for me mentally. I also wasn't  giving myself enough "me" time to do nice things to make me feel good about myself. So I made the decision to slow down on the work and through April I've worked 20 hours over 4 days in the mornings from home and it's the best decision I made. I've decided the new bed and bedroom furniture I wanted can bloody wait and instead I will top my monthly wage up from that money I'm losing out on. All I'm Saying is as you go through your journey your perspective on what you thought was important before becomes less important and YOU become the important factor in your life. Just see how you feel as you start your treatment plan and don't beat yourself up about work and career if it needs to take a back burner for a while. Kerry xx

Hi Charys,

so so pleased you've got through the surgery ok and yes the blue wee and green poo is such a delight (not!!). I've still got my blue nipple 10 weeks post surgery and it doesn't look like it's fading eek! May have to start thinking about a permanent tattoo if it doesn't go 😁 Kerry xx

Charys
Community Champion

Hiyer Jackie,

yes, I'm new to this, had my surgery just this Tuesday. Wow, you are a busy lady, and I certainly hope that you are able to continue to keep that up as much as you can, with work from home and your college weekends. I guess as you rightly said 'playing it by ear' is important, flexibility in allowing yourself time to recover and rest are important too. Yes, I too have used 'someone like me' in the last few weeks it has been really helpful, with some practical tips and genuine care from a lovely lady. Actually the lady was much more helpful than the breast cancer nurse, who I've seen once and seems incredibly 'absent'....no idea if and when she sees me again!? The lady from 'someone like me' really 'gets' the thoughts I have, which I'm not sure I would even mention to other people, as unless you've been there yourself it is hard to understand. 

CHarys x

Thanks so much ladies for your prompt and helpful responses.  It makes me feel better being a little connected to others who are going through the same.

I will definitely book an appointment at M&S - thanks for the tip. 

I work in an office, but have been told not to go in as I travel on public transport (train) into London and have been told that is too great a risk.  So work are fine for me to work from home.  I hoped to do be able to do 10 days in 20, as I've been warned I'm likely to be poorly up to day 10 on the 3 week cycles, and poorly the first week on the 2 weekly cycles.  But my oncologist said that as I do not have an easy job it is highly likely I won't be able to focus enough to get the work done...

I go to college at the weekends too, and I really don't want to give that up either.  I don't see why this thing should stop me!  But maybe I am being unrealistic, I don't know....I guess I will just have to see how I feel and take it from there.

Has anyone else used the charity 'Someone Like Me'?  I have and it is proving so helpful.   I speak with a wonderful lady every week, and she has really had some useful information for me.  Lots of tips.  I would thoroughly recommend them if you haven't already found someone.

Are all you ladies also new to this?  It sounds as though we are all at a similar stage, albeit a few weeks apart.

Thanks again and sending big hugs

Jxx

Charys
Community Champion

Hey Jackie,

Welcome. Even though none of us actually want to be here, we all have the support of each other and that is great. 

I know nothing chemo wise (yet) but regarding the bras: I went to a massive out of town M and S pre surgery. They were very kind and got me into the largest disabled changing room with an expert fitter. I explained before I even went in why I was there and as it happened the fitter said they were really used to women post surgery and seemed very knowledgeable. She said that you can ring in advance and book an appointment for proper assistance, so that might be worth doing? They ran back and forth for various non wired bras that are deemed suitable, and sports bras, for me, until I found what was perfect. So I would suggest that you definitely don't try to to 'do it alone' without someone doing the running and giving advice, as another woman helping you put them on and off is good. I ended up with a set of two sports bras in bright pink and electric blue ( in case you see them there) but they had a good selection of post surgery and sports bras of which something would suit your shape and needs. 

Charys x

Hi! I'm a little further on than you as its two weeks since my SNB it's sore if I do too much walking so I'm keeping moderately active and looking after it. I got two great breast surgery bras from M & S and they are really comfortable and quite attractive too. You can get them VAT free if you ask at the counter. Hope this helps and all the best with it all
Shona xx

Hi Jackie, Big hugs, same grade here. I'm about to start chemo and had my first oncology appointment yesterday.  I was advised I would need to be very careful about infection but that the week leading up to the next injection would be the time to go out and mix more normally so I guess it depends on the type of work you do.  If you work with adults in an office environment who will warn you not to come in if they are ill you might be fine but if you work with people in settings where you are more likely to catch an infection then maybe not. None of this is easy is it? 

Hi There Ladies

I'm relatively new to this site.  I was diagnosed with grade III breast cancer 4 weeks ago now.  I have just seen my oncologist (as we are starting with chemo) and they are going to hit me with everything they've got, with 8 rounds of chemo.

I had my sentinal node biopsy on wednesday, and yes, I have blue wee and a bright blue right boob!  I can't face a bra but do need to go and buy some that are not underwired, as that is all I have.  I'm hoping M&S can help.

I think I am dealing with the diagnosis OK.  I have ups and downs.  I just want to start Chemo and get this thing gone.  Then for the op, then for radiotherapy.  I think this is likely going to be the fight of my life.  But I am ready!  I think....

Interested to know how others are feeling and how you all cope with chemo. Do you think I will be able to work throughout?  I was hoping to be able to do every other 10 days, with 10 days sick and then 10 days working from home.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jx

@Charys wrote:

Same as me 'on a diversion'. I'm 47, perfect normal BMI, good diet and relatively active. Sounds like I'm bragging, I don't mean it to at all, but I'm just saying that breast cancer doesn't care about those factors sadly.,,.....and I found that very hard to accept too that it had 'got me' with me trying to look after myself physically fairly well. 

Hi Charys,

Yes that's exactly what I mean! 

OAD X 

Charys
Community Champion

Same as me 'on a diversion'. I'm 47, perfect normal BMI, good diet and relatively active. Sounds like I'm bragging, I don't mean it to at all, but I'm just saying that breast cancer doesn't care about those factors sadly.,,.....and I found that very hard to accept too that it had 'got me' with me trying to look after myself physically fairly well. 

Charys
Community Champion

Oh Bettyboo I'm so sorry you didn't have the experience. Here's how you can recreate it.........get one of those abnormal blue  bottles of 'panda pops'.  Have you seen them, do they still exist? Sit on the toilet and gentley pour it into the pan, don't look down whilst doing it ok, then get up and look in...........react with surprise and amusement and then call your neighbours and family to marvel. Lol

thanks for the ears reply, was concerned till I read about your experience. 

Charys I had an horrendous sore throat and ears. Sounded like I had an awful cold but it did clear after a few days. It all depends on how we react to the undulations and how easy/difficult we are airway wise. Also on the experience of the anaesthetist so many factors. Also my op was four hours so that's a long time to not having usual body movements such as swallowing saliva. Xx

Ah I see. I didn't have either as my lymph node biopsy at the initial visit was positive as the lymph node was enlarged so straight to full clearance. Now I feel cheated too lol. My youngest son when he was 2 had some blue candy floss. The next time we changed a dirty nappy it was green and a really pretty green at that 😄

Hi Charys,

Pleased you have come through it .  I was was the same after both my recent ops, hardly slept the night after! 

'Rare'? 😄 What an honour! 

I am am quite small breasted but for the first few days wore a sports bra type top from Peacocks. It was  cheap and didn't cut in at all and could be stretched to go over my head.  I then changed into one of their non wired bras as the surgeon said a bra would give me a better shape. I find them incredibly comfortable and will probably stick with them in future. Although I'm not sure how much I really care about my shape at the moment, I guess I might do in the future.  Hopefully I've still got a lot of future left. 

Part of of me is still finding it hard to accept my diagnosis. Statistically the odds were in my favour.I am under 50, have a healthy lifestyle, am a healthy weight etc etc and apart from the surgery feel great. Such an indiscriminate *bleep* disease but it is great being able to talk to others going through this on here, all together.

OAD xxx

Charys
Community Champion

Thanks Jobey, I ve chAnged now......I couldn't bear the bra cutting in any longer. Wine first night after a GA ???? Hardcore !!!

Charys
Community Champion

Thanks Anita.....I have changed into one of those types of tops you refer to.......with the bust holding stretchy insert thing. It feels much better. When they say 'wear this bra and keep it on night and day' I think they have no idea what that is like from the other side as a 'sufferer'. Happyboobs, thanks for your reply.......did your ears hurt a bit as well? Although glad it isn't just me that has/ had this throat thing. I think it may be partly my own fault, as prior to surgery I pointed out the anaethetist my to front crowns which were very delicate and had taken 2 grand and a long 6 months of work of many dental appointments to sort out lol ( broken off when I was younger). I wonder if that made them insert or position differently ?

Hi Charys.

Re your sore throat after surgery.....I was very disappointed to have an extremely sore throat which lasted about 5 days after my first WLE . When I had to have a second visit to theatre two weeks later I mentioned it to the anaesthetist who examined my throat and 'took it on board' so after this time the throat was much better and was I was only a bit sore and hoarse for about a day. I think more care was taken during intubation with perhaps a better sized tube.

Wishing you and all the ladies the best.

xx

Morning Charys - I didn't sleep well night after op but it caught up with me in the day after so hope you can rest. I too have on the large side boobs but I didn't wear a bra for 5 days after op just wore vest top with support bit around boob area. Then I wore a post surgical front fastening bra for support for a few weeks but now 4 weeks post surgery I'm back to a normal bra although not my usual underwire ones yet. Re throat - anaesthetist did warn me about that due to tube being put down but I didn't have any problems either. He told me it could last a few days so I'm sure it'll be ok soon x

Maybe the stretchy crop tops that are seamless may be better or tight vest tops? I bought some cheap ones in Matalan,  I wasn't told to wear anything but I'm not massively blessed in the boob area! Even now a year on I have to wear soft bras as just don't feel comfortable in anything else. Sore throat will be down to the tube you had during surgery I expect, they did warn me about it but I felt OK, may have been down to the gallon of wine I drank the night after surgery!! 🍷🍷😜

Charys
Community Champion

Do you know, that s interesting to hear about the whole bra thing ....I am struggling big time with this sports bra. It was fine before surgery, but my lumpectomy was so high that now even the high sports bra, the top line of the bra is cutting across the very thick dressing and digging in. They were so adamant that I needed to wear it, and I know I need something supportive as am fairly large chested, but I need something that has a strong vest like top which goes across my chest......does this make sense. Any suggestions anyone cos this is miserable as it is. 

Another question, sorry bout this, but I expected a sore throat after surgery, but how bad can it be the morning after....this is really painful and hard to swallow. Having never had a general I have no idea how many days it would persist. No temp or anything incidentally. 

Thanks for being there guys,

Charysx

Morning Charys, good to know we gave you a chuckle! 😂 I missed out on the blue nipple/boob bit, took my dressing off on day 5 and not a tinge of colour in sight! I didn't brave a bra until I ventured out after a week, lived in stretchy vests Under my top then progressed on to soft sports bras 👙 Xx 

Charys
Community Champion

Oh lovely ladies you did make me laugh this morning. For some odd reason after a general anaesthetic I was so wired I have hardly slept and came on here, as you can see at 6 am to find so many poo and wee messages on the thread. the nipple!!!! OMG Why did nobody tell me!!! Last night I had to very gingerly change bras due to the discomfort of one digging across the dressing (as high up as one could get without it being on my direct chest, and the dressing is so thick it's like a pan scourer) . DD helped me and it was like a military procedure, but a very slow one. Eventually with my hands clutching my booby to stop it moving I saw an area about 2 inches by .2 inches of that bright blue........we both stood opened mouthed and then 'what the hell' and then started hysterically laughing.

'On a diversion' my surgeon said that some people had claimed coloured poo, but she had not properly worked out why that happened somethings to do with the liver, but it was rare. So , there we go, you are rare!

DD and I have developed a colour chart for the wees......as the shaded does change depending on concentration and other no doubt medically stuff. I've had electric blue, sky blue, a rather special teal colour, aquamarine and errr a light navy type shade. 

@Jill1998 wrote:
Show off!!!

Well you know! 😄

Just the green wee for me! 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Show off!!!

I have a blue/green nipple, green wee and green poo, get me! 😉

Jill1998
Community Champion

I feel so cheated not to have had colourful bodily functions ....😢

I don't remember the blue wee as think I'd had too much morphine after my op (mastectomy and immediate reconstruction). I did do a spectacular blue/green vomit in the hospital corridor the following day though and felt so bad about it as the cleaner had just been along! xx

Oh at last Bottyboo things are on the up for you. Carers have worked out better than expected, apart from the early bedtime of 9 o'clock which we aren't used to. But from tomorrow we're dropping that one off for a while as I am starting to be able to do more. Re the other points on the thread - I had blue wee for a few days but still have a blue boob & apparently this can last for a while as have a friend who still has it after 2 years. So don't worry if that doesn't fade fast. X

Jill1998
Community Champion

Blue boob also a potential side effect !!!