1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Appointment

5 REPLIES 5

Re: First Appointment

Please don't be worried about the actual Radiotherapy treatment process. The Radiographers are all very kind, and don't be embarrassed by 'exposing' the breast- they have seen it all before! The treatment is absolutely painless and very quick once they have positioned you! It is really scary for someone new, but it goes very fast and you are getting well again ! I am now two and a half weeks post rads, and although I have been sore and uncomfortable ( like bad sunburn) it gets better and is totally do- able. I hope this will reassure you somewhat. Wishing you all the best and a speedy return to good Health xx

Oh no! Don't let my experience put you off! I must say that up until then everyone I have met  throughout has been lovely (especially breatscare nurses) and I hope when I had my first actual radiotherapy on Friday they will be the same. I will report back then!  Good Luck to you too x

That sounds awful !I face radiotherapy starting as soon as my wounds heal - had surgery last Wednesday. I am uncertain if I actually want to undergo the therapy and reading this has made me wonder all over again. So sorry that you had this awful experience and grateful to you for sharing it ..... Good luck for the future x

Thanks Jenny, I start treatment next Friday, hope I get someone a bit nicer! It was a bit of a shock to be honest, everyone else I have met so far has been so lovely.

hi i had different team when i started rads to when i went for planning so fingers crossed that you do as well.

First Appointment

Been for my first appointment today,  having my tattoo etc and found it so daunting. Had I not read up on radio therapy and what to expect i would have been horrified at being told to 'undress to your waist now please' and being handed a 'modesty' cover of a tiny piece of paper by a young male a lot younger than my son.  The young lady with him was also distinctly short on empathy. He gleefully told me that ladies 'well blessed' like myself may need a different machine and a lot more hassle and I was lucky the boss said it was 'ok'.  No helping hand either when it was all over to pull myself upright (i have a back problem). I am absolutely dreading the next three weeks if it is going to be like today.