Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Mammogram after treatment

57 REPLIES 57
Charys
Community Champion

Re: First Mammogram after treatment

That's good to know Jill, that was a concern I had as the scar tissue really hurts still. 

Jill1998
Community Champion

They can manually adjust the mammogram machine so you have the minimum amount of pressure needed .I was still really tender at my first mammogram and the radiographer very slowly adjusted the machine to minimise the discomfort .
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Crulley,

I've just had my annual mammo, yes, they do have your records & know why you're there. Do let them know if your breast still feels tender, mine was fine, but I only had minor surgery & had healed well. 

ann x

crulley

hi i have recently finished my treatment of chemo and radio i am due to have my 1st mammogram in august ,one year after my operation,i am a bit nervous,does it hurt more than usual as my right breast is still very tender,will i have to tell them ive had treatment and op or will they have this info

JSib

Hi

i had my first 'anniversary' mammogram last week having done the full chemo, surgery and radiotherapy... it wasn't a pleasant experience and I was surprised how uncomfortable I felt going back to the hospital- I think I'd blocked the worrying but it came back full force!

I keep thinking it's ok, nothing will be wrong and all that but the little voices are panicked... the 2-3 weeks are going very slowly!

Lane

Hi I just had my first mammogram on Tuesday and can't sit still it's very worrying having to wait in results x
Charys
Community Champion

Same here Pantinge! I can't offer any advice as I'm in exactly the same position as you. Just wanted to say 'Hi' really and let you know I'm feeling the same.

pantinge1

Thank you Jill, you have just told a friend I really cannot plan anything until i get this done, which am also so scared of as am still tender and lumpy then to wait for results really really frightened.
Jill1998
Community Champion

It really does affect you ,I was surprised just how anxious I was and terrified about what may be going inside me without my knowledge .I was in a bit of a state for a couple of weeks prior to mammogram and until I got the results I didn't feel I could make any plans .Hoping the second one which will be coming up in June won't be as anxiety provoking ?Jill.
pantinge1

that is exactly how i feel how did it go am so scared 😞
pantinge1

have mine next week am terrified again,but thank you your words comforting Elaine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck Kiki,not a good time of year for the anxious waiting is it?
Kiki2

Second annual mammogram after treatment today! Thought I would be less stressed this time but still woke up ridiculously early and couldn't get back to sleep. Not a great time of year to be called each time as the waiting is over Christmas but fingers crossed that all will be well again! Never know whether to ask them (don't know if they would tell me anyway) what it looks like or not! Xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck Catherine ,the first one put me in a really bad place mentally took me right back to that dark time when first diagnosed .Keeping everything crossed for you .Jill.
rubycat

Aah Catherine, thanks for thinking of me. Cat Happy  I'm actually doing fine and about to start on a Mindfulness course on Friday - not usually into that sort of thing, but a sceptic friend had done it and found it really helpful.  Mind you, feeling sorry for myself today as just returned from dentist as half a tooth fell out yesterday and hip is painful.  Boo hoo,  feeling crumbly! Yes, that first mammo is a tricky time, but you will get through it (remember to take a pain killer).  The waiting for results just takes you back to last time - try to keep busy, hopefully you won't have to wait too long for them. Sending you big hugs to get you through, and saving space in the paddock (promise I haven't eaten all the carrots). Cat Very Happy xxx

CatherineJ

Hi Rubycat how are you doing? I'm just waiting for my appointment for my first mammogram and also, like you, didn't haven chemo.  Most days fine, but today need to get a handle on my wobbling!

Whiskers12

Hi i got my 1st mammo after my op a yr ago was dreading it to as my breast is harder after radio , the hirls wer very gentle one stood beside and the other did the machine so it wud b quicker. It isnt pleasant but doesnt lst that long gettin it dune . Try not to worri to much it isnt as bad as wee think its goin to b 😍😍😍xxx
evnsds

Thank you very much
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Ev,had my first post treatment mammogram 13th June,was very anxiety provoking from the moment the appointment letter came through the door ,brought back horrible memories and made me think how on earth would I manage to do this again .The couple of weeks waiting for results was very difficult .Fingers and toes crossed for you ,hoping you join us in the "paddock "..Ps it was painful but the radiographers are very aware of this and adjust the machine manually rather than remotely so they can do it very slowly and gently ,it's only a couple of seconds ,worth the discomfort to be given that reassurance .Jill.
evnsds

Wow this has helped me so much today.  I have been dreading having my first mammo since being diagnosed last year.  My appointment is 20th July with my follow up appointment with the surgeon the week after.  

I know i have so much to grateful for, but I cannot get my mind off the what if's, the pain of having the mammo etc.

It has been a great tonic to read that I am not alone Smiley FrustratedHeart

Spoiler

rubycat

Hello Amberstone - think I first saw it on the MacMillan site, but  being a NEDdie is when you have No Evidence of Disease and being a donkey lover I really liked that idea!  Hence the eating carrots and big hoofs jumping around in the paddock.  I remember the BCN saying after my second WLE 'it's all in the bin', but didn't really feel disease free until after that first mammo letter.  I've found the psychological effects more tricky than physical ones, as I was lucky enough not to have chemo, and that first anniversary really floored me.  Wish I hadn't wasted the time on it now!!  Really happy to be moving forward now and ready to forget what has been and gone.  So all good wishes for you and keeping space in the paddock!!Cat Very Happy

amberstone

Hi Rubycat   thanks so much for reply   not looking forward to mammogram   wow 3 weeks to wait thats not fair, no going back so will take your advice and take painkillers before I go.

You made me smile whats "Neddie Paddock"  I am not too good on getting round sites.

Take care to all.

rubycat

Hello Amberstone, can only tell you my experience.  Had my first annual mammo in April and got 'no new abnormalities' letter 3 weeks later - & what a scary wait that was - and the build up to it as well, but decided no news was good news, although that didn't really stop me fretting!  Had to have 4 mammos - the first 3 were absolutely fine and didn't hurt at all, with 2 on op side, then radiographer wanted another on the op side (that got me worried) and that last one was excruciating! Still, gritted my teeth as knew it would all be over in a few seconds, and it was. We just keep reading everything negative into any little thing don't we?  But I needn't have worried - and would like you not to worry either.  If I'd just had the first three, would have said it was just like all the other mammos I'd had - nothing to get het up about.  Really hope you don't have any pain - oh that reminds me, good advice from this forum was to take a painkiller before you go in - which I did.  I'm now in the Neddie paddock eating my carrots - will save some for you to join us soon.  Good luck.  Christine xxx

amberstone

Hi everyone, not been on here for some time since surgery and treatment have been trying to put it all behind me and carry on but it never leaves you!   I have my first Mammogram coming up June I cant get it out of my mind even now,  can anyone tell me what its like and does it hurt is it more uncomfortable than the normal ones (which I found painful for a few seconds) as my treated breast is much harder/lumpy than the normal one and quite painful. I am dreading it being placed on the machine.

angellaethomas

Hope they gave results on the day and alls OK got mine next week aaahhh xx
angellaethomas

Got my first mammogram next week a year after BC diagnosis sooooo scared !!! Already
Hay123

elaine_r

well done so pleased for you best foot forward now no looking back

Glossy

soooooooo pleased for you x

lincs_lady

well i was all clear!!!! sooo pleased.
took for ever with all the waiting, i couldnt sit still, read or talk to any one i was such a wreck lol
hope everyones ok xx

Glossy

lincs lady.........I know how you must be feeling.....good luck....let us know.....

lincs_lady

thats brill news for you both
im sure my hospital tell you on the day its done,
i hope so anyway
my 1st one is on wed and im so scared im not sure i will get through the door yet

Glossy

Hi there.....just thought I would let you all know I finally got my result on Saturday after four and a half weeks of waiting and it said I was clear. I sat on the stairs and burst into tears...I guess I had been feeling more anxious that I had realised.

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just had the results of my first mammogram a year after i was diagnosed, and it was fine but i had to wait nearly 2 weeks, i hardly slept or ate for those 2 weeks waiting for the results.
I rang my BCN and that day i got my results in the post! x

ChoccieMuffin

Chinook,

There is nothing to stop you putting pen to paper and letting your consultant know how you have been treated. I had reason to criticise the behaviour of a member of theatre staff at my first surgery and I wrote to my consultant about it. I have been assured that the person has at the very least been spoken to, but if you don't write to let them know, they won't be able to do anything to improve this person's attitude towards patients. Being treated badly plays on your mind, and I found writing that letter helped me to let go of what had been said.

Guest user
Not applicable

I have had similar experiences with radiographers - most have absolutely no empathy with their clients and just want to process you through as quickly as they possibly can.Even the one who scanned me for osteoporosis was a sour-faced so-and-so.

It doesn't bother me that they don't give you any indication of the result though as they're probably not allowed to, but that doesn't excuse their department sitting on their hands for weeks before they post out a result.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
I had my five year mammogram last week. Radiographer was bitch from hell. Now I realise it was routine for her but it was a bit of a milestone for me. When I asked if it was possible for her to tell me the results she looked at me as though I'd suggested eating a baby.
Instead of coming out on top of the world, I came out in tears. She ragged me about so much during the test I had to take pain killers for 2 days. Did I complain at the time!!!!!? This is the first one in 5 years that has been like that the others were lovely. First year I even got a hug and a tissue when Radiographer came back with an unofficial all clear. I don't think it's training these thoughtless people need, most of us are taught as children to be kind, caring and considerate. I know an inaccurate reading could be an issue.
As for getting over the fear of BC coming back, as I say "They cut the cancer from my breast but they can't cut it out of my mind.
Next time I will complain because that is the only way some people will learn the effects of what they do.
Happy days
Chinook

Glossy

I don't think they realise the level of anxiety it causes. I thought I had got it under control in my head but now I am reliving it again. Think the men in white coats may be carting me off soon. I think that hospitals need to review their strategy especially for the first mammogram. I understand they are usually understaffed but I think that their policy should be updated. Maybe if we all make enough noise they might listen? Well, here's hoping....

lolly73

My appt for results after yearly mammo is usually 3-4 weeks after mammo. I tend to phone my bcn a week after mammo and she gives me the result!

Guest user
Not applicable

Waiting for 4-6 weeks I think is just not on! I would make a nuisance of yourself and be demanding a MUCH QUICKER response!

Glossy

Hi there Had my first mammogram 8.25 am this morning. Have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for the results as my consultant has to see them and they will notify me by letter.....surely they can do better than that...

Guest user
Not applicable

good luck for tomorrow glossy. will keep everything crossed for you on this scary day!!

deed
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Glossy

I am going for my first mammogram on Friday after chemo and radiotheraphy. Like you I am very nervous and can't wait until Friday is over.

I have told quite a few people and like you they all say you will be fin. I know I probably will be but can't help thinking the worse.

Hope everything goes fine for you tomorrow, please let me know how you get on.

Love Anne xx

Glossy

Going for my first mammogram tomorrow after chemo and radiotherapy. Very, very nervous. Not told many people, can't cope with the 'I'm sure it will be fine' senario. Feel like I want to cry. Can't settle, just want tomorrow morning tobe over with...

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my 1st mammo a couple of weeks ago and when I entered the Breast Screening Unit every image of the previous years image came flooding back, as a rule I have a problem trying to remember what I did just a few hours prior!!! I had to wait for results but they arrived in the mail and NED - 'no evidence of disease at the current time'. Phew...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally do not think I will ever really stop thinking about bc until I reach that 5 year target and beyond. I've learnt to adapt to living with bc and it is no where anything near the all encompassing 24 hour a day worry it was a year ago when I was 1st diagnosed.

However I guess when things like yearly mammo's, Onc visits, all be it less frequently, we are more than entitled to be a little bit 'wobbled' by the prospect of these appointments. If I didn't get a bit anxious about it I think I would be wondering to myself why, complacency is not an emotion I will entertain where cancer is concerned - being told you have cancer is no easy thing to deal with but you do learn to adjust to living with it over time:)

Leigh x

cherub

I find it's around most days, but I'm able to keep it in the background. I have my yearly mammo next week, but I'm not thinking too much about it - I'll cross that bridge next Friday. For me it's easier to take each day on its own merits and I count myself lucky that I do a job where no 2 days are really the same - it's like diversion therapy really.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

Haven't been on here for months as I was hoping that life was moving on, I got maried in September and up to last week I felt on top of the world. But just felt drawn back on here today.
I was diagnosed with DCIS a year ago and had lumpectomy and rad treatment. I have my first mammogram on the 6th December and I am already feeling scared to death about the results. everyone says that it will be okay and that I should be comforted by the thought that I will be checked and if anything is found it can be dealt with but somehow that still doesn't help.
How do you get over the feelings of dread and panic in the lead up to the mammogram, how do you tell yourself that everything will be fine? I had gone from hardly thinking about BC to it being on my mind every day again. Does this ever leave us or do we just have to learn to live with it?
Mandeville x

cherub

When I had the first one after treatment I got a bit flustered and exited through the wrong door, ending up in another changing room where the next woman was waiting. Of course, because of the radiation I couldn't go back into the mammo room again and I completely panicked - the other lady had to calm me down. She also told me she was 7 years on from diagnosis, so maybe I was supposed to meet her. I'm just waiting for an appointment for my third one to come in the post.

Guest user
Not applicable

I think they should tell you on the spot. I had my first year mammogram at william harvey in ashford Kent lat november and they told me on the spot that all was fine as it was my first one.But I've got my second one coming up and will have to wait for a letter. The waiting is horrible and throws all the memories up.....

Guest user
Not applicable

i had my first post chemo/surgery etc mammo done in Aug. I had to wait over 3 weeks for results. So i rang my Oncs Secretary who sent me a letter (all fine). Didnt think to ask my bcn.

I was totally on pins waiting, brought back a lot of memories being back at the hospital.
eva