cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First chemo on Monday and so scared

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: First chemo on Monday and so scared

I found that after each chemo session, at the next onc apt they would dabble with my anti sickness drugs and each time the symptoms were better as they had more of a handle on how I would respond.

I think they start everybody on the same antisickness regime until they know how you respond then juggle it.

Hope you feel better over the course of the day, I had one visit to A and E after my first session and since then my amended antisickness did the trick!

Good luck and hope you feel OK
Highlighted

Thanks everyone for well wishes. I was pretty unwell after my first session which was infused at 4;30pm. Told to start the sickness drugs 8am but sit it make that as was sick from 1am to 1pm next day. My husband phoned the hospital who advices on starting early but but then it had started. If you get sick phone the hospital Immediately as I've subsequences learned that it's only once you have got on top of the sickness it will stop. So don't wait. I nearly had to go to A&E as I couldn't even keep water down. Fortunately I had drunk two ltrs of water prior to chemo which use had helped.

Pam
Highlighted

Hi Whitfield, I'm having the planning session then first of 6 FEC tba next week. Am also absolutely terrified! Why wouldn't we be? Have got fixated on hair loss and the cold cap ... have you decided what to do? Sending you good luck. X

Hi Whitfield.

How did your first chemo go yesterday? I also had my first chemo yesterday - am on weekly Tax and Bev (Avastin). I was spaced out when I got back. I am struggling with energy today but other than that no vomiting or anything else yet. Hoping it stays that way. Hoping you are coping.

Highlighted

Possibly depends on how you respond to the anti sickness drugs, they have a whole myriad of them so can juggle them each cycle to help you if you feel bad. Assume accelerated means more than the normal 3 weekly??? Means it's over quicker!!!!!!
Highlighted

I'm having EC accelerated chemo so this sounds more tricky to manage?

Highlighted

It also depends on what kind of chemo you are having as to how you will feel after it.

I found the EC harder to deal with compared to the Tax I am now on for my second 4, but I know some people are the opposite. Also, sometimes the first one is the worst and they get better - have found this with Tax.

So its a changable process dependant on how your body deals with it.

Good luck and remember with every one you have, you are closer to the end!!!!

Highlighted

And the chemo nurses are always very professional and trustful. They told me anything happen, we just treat it, so trust ur medical team and tell them anything u worry proactively....
Highlighted

Not to scare, it is just like having Iv anti biotic, but when u get home, u do feel unwell but it is all manageable by meds. Remember to keep a daily record of your body condition that u can have sth to follow and plan your bad and good days for your each round
Highlighted

Here's the link to the September thread Whitfield:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/September-Sunbeams-2014/m-p/87...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

How do I join the thread? I think it will be useful.
Highlighted

Thanks for reply. Husband is coming with me and hopefully will sort out ice pops.

X
Highlighted

....oh and you might want to join the september girls in the monthly thread as then you are all going through stuff together and support each other.... It's helped me lots xx
Highlighted

Hi Whitfield
The tips thing on here is great ...... I took ice pops tip...... Sucking them all the time I have drugs , my taste loss hasn't been too bad , not sure if it's the ice pops or not but they did give me something to focus on 😄😄
I too was terrified for the first one that's normal ! I was scared I would just run away if they didn't tie me down! And it's really not as bad as you think it will be...... Honestly ❤️ Take someone with you if possible as some support is good ....l also took a puzzle book to try and distract myself a little.
Good luck and I know it's easy to say but try not to worry .....I got myself in a right state before and it's just the thought of it rather than the actual. The nurses are used to first timers so they are also very sensitive to your fears etc they will look after you.
Sending a big hug xxx
Highlighted

Hi Whitfield, whilst you await replies here's a link to the 'Top tips for chemo' thread which users have compiled over the years which may also help:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/t...

Please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries on 0808 800 6000, lines open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

First chemo on Monday and so scared

I've read all the booklets but am pretty scared for my first chemo. Does anyone have any good prep tips?

X