First chemo this week

Had my first chemo (fec)on monday, now my 5th day and still feel bad, have no energy at all, would like to know how long before i start to feel anytthing like normal again? I know everyone reacts different but hoping somone may be able to help

Hello redjan

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the many informed users of this site have a wealth of information between them.

You may find it helpful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000 and speak to one of our breast care nurses who are here to support you, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Redjan,
sorry that you have had to come this club. Hopefully if i am rid of infection i will be on cycle 5 next week. What treatment are you on? I did 3 FEC and will next week be having my 2nd TAX.

louise

Hi Louise im om fec x3 then tax x3, wasnt quite prepared for it i think, hopefully seeing some light at the end of the (1st) tunnell now although still pretty tired.
Jan xx

I think everyone seems to react differently to chemo.

I tend to go tierd in the afternoon and usually have a little sleep for an hour or so which makes me feel much better - but I think the ‘tierdness’ in the main is fatique and that is much more difficult to manage and sometimes I feel its too much effort to do anything at all. For me the first couple of days are usually ok, but ‘fatigue’ sets in from around day 5 to around day 11, then I am fine for the rest of the cycle day around 12 - 21! I have had two FEC’s so far and that seems to be the pattern but when I go onto TAX that may be different.

hope that helps

I am due to have my fourth cycle of FEC next week. I find I am exhausted for the first few days but pick up by the end of the week and then just get back to normal. My GP says to just do as much as your body tells you and if it is saying rest then don’t fight it. I also find that a bit of exercise (walking the dog in my case) does help me to feel better.
Good luck with your treatment.

Hi Redjan
There are quite a few of us stating this week and some interesting threads to follow. I’m on the same as you, and started on Tuesday. Each one of us is different, but I do think it is important to listen to your body and if it is tired, let it rest. As long as you get out a bit, for a change of air, your body should guide you.
Take care and I hope you are surrounded by people that love you.
Hugs MAria

Thanks for all the comments, i think it is a each day as it comes, and we will all be different, starting to feel better at last but will follow what my body tells me.
Jan xx

Hi Redjan, I am on day 7 of my 2nd out of 6 FEC and being tired is part of the course I think for most of us! Listen to your body and take a day at a time. Eating as well as you can and having a bit of fresh air probably helps, too! I try not to get over tired and have early nights, having younger children means adapting having some rest around the school run/activities but it’s all been doable so far.
Fingers crossed for you. xxxTina

Thanks for all the comments, it all helps, dont think i was quite prepared for it. Will have to take it as it comes bue seeing the light at the end of the (1st) tunnel.
Jan xx