71603members
375695posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First mammogram coming up shortly after diagnosis a year ago and feeling very anxious.

44 REPLIES 44
UK2014

Re: First mammogram coming up shortly after diagnosis a year ago and feeling very anxious.

KB0

Re: First mammogram coming up shortly after diagnosis a year ago and feeling very anxious.

oops i meant LOVELY not loverly...lol

KB0

THANKYOU LOVERLY LADIES..........1 year out..yayyy lol xx

KahrenQ

So pleased for you! I am still waiting for my appointment for the anniversary photo.....dont know whether to chase it or not!
Lozzarooney1

Hi Karen
That's wonderful news... I can uncross my fingers now! Xx 🙂
Hay123

So pleased for you xxxx
Kittyqueen

Really pleased for you KB xxx

KB0

Hi all, id just like to say i got the results of my mammo and it was clear...i just now want to prevent the B?????d from coming back..xx

Mary_grace

Hi Karen, my dent is at the bottom too. They said it would be better to use lipofill than back muscles and things which are used to do reconstruction post mastectomy. basically they suck fat out using liposuction on thighs, stomach, bottom or wherever and inject it back to fill in the dent. I had a big chunk missing. They have to build it up gradually so it isn't a one off fix, but then it is only a day surgery, tiny incisions with steristrips and some bruising afterwards. I am so delighted with it. Three lots and the damage is 90 to 90% sorted. I still wonder if we couldn't do the bottom end of the scar a tiny bit more, the top is now almost invisible.

Mine was done as part of a trial, it had been available privately but not on the NHS at my hospital, my 3rd go will be the end of my part of the trial (I think), and they are in the process of contacting other people on their list who would benefit. Extra bonus is that I now have skinny thighs too 🙂

you have to wait one year after the end of radiotherapy until they will start it. The blood supply needs to re-establish to give he new cells the best change of taking, but basically it looks and feels exactly as it did presurgery ans is just a way for fixing some tissue scars using your own body cells so that your body doesnt reject them x

KB0

Thanks Mary Grace, what is a lipofil? i am very keen to have some sort of surgery to make both my breasts the same. I had WLE and now have a dent in the bottom of my boob so i was wondering if they can fill it out again by doing surgery? is that what lipofil means? i still have my cleavage and most of my right boob but it obviously does not match my left one? lol..x

Mary_grace

Hi Karen, , Sorry to hear you are back in the scary "waiting for results" phase. I have just done this for my two years mammo (a bit late because I am busy having lipofill reconstruction at 4 monthly intervals and, wow, is it worth it, I almost have a matching pair of boobs again 🙂 but they can't do a mammo for 6 months after a lipofill graft, so I ended up with a mammo after a a year and the second time after two years and three months.)

Both times it took a couple of weeks to get the results, both times I assumed the worst - particularLy when they cancelled a lipofill pre op suddenly after my first one "on medical grounds" and I thought it meant they had seen something.

it didnt and they hadn't. So no news doesn't necessarily mean bad news, they are meant to let the BS do the consulting and break the news, so it may just be when he / she is first free.

Hang on in. We are bound to fear the worst, but the longer past we get, the easier it will hopefully get.

Sending hugs MG x

KB0

Thank you Helen, Im so pleased you were given the NED result.., i bet its a huge weight off your shoulders. I just think its strange that my mate has had a letter but i havent. I would have thought that if we are both treated at the same hospital that i should have had a letter too, even if it wasnt clear...but i suppose each case is different. her cancer wasnt has bad has mine..I guess im thinking negative. I think had there been anything wrong id have been called back..xx

HJU63

Hi Karen, I can understand why you are worried. I too had to wait for my results from the surgeon rather than receive a letter - like you I had a scheduled appointment for a review. I also had a physical examination and felt quite reaassured to have a surgeon say that based on the exam and a clear mammo I had NED. Try not to worry too much, thinking of you and let us know how you get on
Helen

Jo_BCC

Hi KB

To start a new thread, choose the forum where you want to post from the list at the left hand side of this page then slightly to the right you will see a purple block with 'new topic', click here you will then see subject box, that's for your title, and a box underneath for your text. Click 'Post' at the bottom of the page and there you go, you will have started a new thread.

Hope that works for you. If you continue to have trouble posting please let us know and we'll try to help you.

Kind regards,

Jo, Facilitator

KB0

I hope someone sees this as i have forgotten how to start a new thread.
I am really worried now about getting my mammo results. Thing that's bothering me is that a friend of mine who i keep in touch with was diagnosed the same day as me last year. We both had our annual mammograms on the same day, the 26th May this year, in fact i had mine earlier than hers. She's had a letter saying that her mammo results are satisfactory and she doesnt need another one until next year. I however have heard nothing. I did have a letter before my mammo to see my surgeon so whether they just want to discuss hiw everything is going and they want to kill 2 birds with ine stine and tell me the results instead if sending me it in writing, i just dont know.. My friends diagnosis was different from mine and she only had to have chemo and rads. Think she was triple neg but no nodes involved. She doesnt see her onc anymore and neither does she see the surgeon. I am still receiving treatment Herceptin so i guess thats why i am still seeing both the onc and the surgeon. But what is worrying me is if we are both treated at the same hospital then why havent i had a letter? I am now worrying that something is wrong which is why im getting my results via the surgeon tomorrow. If it had been satisfactory then ive if had a letter. I guess im worrying when i dont need to but since they wouldnt give me results over the phone and ive heard nothing in writing then im thinking the worst...xx

KB0

Thanks Lozzarooney....xx

Lozzarooney1

Will be thinking of you on Monday Karen

Sending squishy hugs

Lozza xx

PS
They're still crossed for you x
KB0

Thank you all for your lovely comments....:)..xx
I will get my results on Monday the 13th of May.i did ring up the bc nurse for my results but she wouldnt give me them, she said i have to see my consultant on Monday. I wished she'd given me the results then i wouldn't have a weekend of worrying and stewing over them. Hey ho...xxx

pauline62

Hi kb
I had my breast cancer 14 yrs ago,and like you I dreaded every mammogram,but knew it was important.After 10 yrs they discharged me and said I would have to go on the nhs mobile unit for mammograms every 3 yrs. Where I dreaded them every yr I now miss it as it gave me peace of mind.Its quite normal to be really concerned each time, it does get easy as the yrs go by.take care
KahrenQ

I hope it has all gone well.
My anniversary of the mammogram that started all of this is at the weekend and like you I am anxiously waiting for the letter. I am suprised to feel like I do as I have worked hard to get my life back on track after mx and chemo. I have ongoing herceptin but I went back to work as soon as chemo was over. This anniversary seems to be a bit of a post traumatic syndrome event - I keep thinking back to how it all made me feel and it is hard to stay positive. Others seem to think I will sail it which doesn't help! It has been said you did it once, at the worst you will do it again. Not very reassuring!
Anyway hugs to you and it has helped me to know I am not alone in this anniversary bringing up feelings of vulnerability!
Kahren
debbie_t

Hi KB,

I am in the same situation. I was diagnosed May last year and awaiting mine at the end of May. Like you say very aprehensive about the prospect.
Did the procedure hurt you? I am dreading them pumelling my already pulverised boob ! it still feels very tender almost a year on from surgery and cannot bear the thoght of it being welded between the metal sheets again.
Did you hear from your test yet?

debbie
xx
KB0

thank you lozzarooney..xxxx

Lozzarooney1

My fingers are still crossed KB
Hugs xx
KB0

I have had my mammo so now waiting for results.....fingers crossed it will be all clear..xx

caroline1313

Yes it was deep and I'm grateful it was found so early and it was sorted. I had a batwing procedure and I must say the surgeon did a marvelous job and I had to have another operation because they didn't get a clear margin but you can hardly tell I've had much done. I then had to have the chemo and radiotherapy. Wishing you all the best for tomorrow! X

KB0

Hi guys, well im fairly confident it will be clear and if it isnt theyll sort it. Caroline 1313 was your lump deep in your breast? or was it something else? xx

caroline1313

Hi Karen
I go for mine on 26th too (17 months after diagnosis) mine is at 12.50. I didn't have a visable lump in the first place and picked up on a routine mammogram. I nearly diidn't go for the test as I forgot the appointment and remembered just in time but I thought as the first one was normal 3 years previous that I wouldn't bother but my husband made me go and a good job he did! I can't believe how stupid I could have been. I won't forget this one that's for sure.

chascat

KB, I cried like a baby when I had my first follow up mammogram, I just couldn't stop, you're certainly not alone x

kevinj

When my wife went for her Mamo in January twelve months on from her diagnosis she sat with a lady who was having her fifth after diagnosis she said 'it doesn't get any easier sweetheart whether it's your first or your fifth, the same worries are always there, I know for a fact I couldn't eat or sleep for a week after her mamo and when she got the results from her breast care nurse I burst into tears, whilst my wife looked at me as if I to say shouldn't that be me, good job one of us is strong in our family]

KB0

Well, my appointment for my mammo has come through and its at 10am, friday the 26th April. I saw my onc yesterday and he did a breast examination and he said there were no signs of recurrances, so there are no obvious lumps. There is no reason why my mammo wont be clear. That's how i look at it anyway.I shall keep you all posted.

Karen xx

KB0

Thankyou once again ladies, yeah its a very scary time but then i think to myself im no different from someone who is having a routine mammogram ..if that makes any sense...xx

katytc

In our area it's 18 months after last operation for your first mammo, I also had to have more pictures taken and saw a large white area turned out to be operation site. Girl was so kind, caring and very gentle, it was a bit sore but others have had no pain at all. The worst part is the wait again for the letter, wishing you the very best xx

ABitRandom

Take a friend along with you for extra moral support. I had my first annual mammogram and ultrasound in January. A few minutes after I returned to the waiting room I was recalled back to the mammogram room as they needed to take extra pictures. This was a scarey experience. Luckily the additional images proved to be clear.

It is natural to be concerned especially as you will still clearly recall the traumatic experience you went through 12 months earlier. Nobody wants to go through that again, but early detection is your saviour. Good luck. 🙂

KB0

Thank you for all your comments,lovely ladies.... I havent actually got a date for my mammogram yet but im sure i should be getting an invitation fairly soon as i was diagnosed in April last year.

Lozzarooney1

Good luck KB - hope all goes well for you.
I understand completely where you're coming from .... it just brings it all back and we wonder whether we can trust our bodies again. My cancer was picked up with my first routine mammogram ... I couldn't and didn't feel it. So I'm grateful that we're 'covered' by having yearly mammograms for the next five years. No doubt when I go on to normal three yearly mammograms I'll be even more paranoid lol!! 😉
Sending squishy hugs and hoping that you'll have a positive outcome.
Lozza xx
Lozzarooney1

Good luck KB - hope all goes well for you.
I understand completely where you're coming from .... it just brings it all back and we wonder whether we can trust our bodies again. My cancer was picked up with my first routine mammogram ... I couldn't and didn't feel it. So I'm grateful that we're 'covered' by having yearly mammograms for the next five years. No doubt when I go on to normal three yearly mammograms I'll be even more paranoid lol!! 😉
Sending squishy hugs and hoping that you'll have a positive outcome.
Lozza xx
Calyco

I had my "one year on mammogram" in March and found it a very worrying time. My hospital only contact you if there is a problem so check with them how they will inform you of the results. I was told I'd get the results the next time I saw the consultant (which isn't until May) but if I couldn't wait that long to phone the Breast Cancer Care nurse. People kept asking me if my results were ok so eventually I cracked and phoned the nurse. Luckily mine was clear although with all the pain and discomfort caused by the test I don't think I'll relax about it until after I've seen the oncologist. I'm feeling a bit rough at present due to tamoxifen and herceptin so it's easy to think something's wrong.
My understanding re frequency of mammograms is that it's down to the x-rays/radiation and it's not considered a good idea to have them more frequently unless absolutely neccessary.
I had a physical examination of the breast in January and my oncologist was happy with that but at the back of your mind a mammogram is more reassurring as not all lumps and bumps will be picked up by feel alone.
Good luck with your test KB. I wish I knew the way to end the worrying.

Calyco

KB0

Hiya,but im wondering why we have yearly ones instead of 6monthly ones because a lot of changes can happen between that time. Thats what i dont understand. When i had an abnormal smear and had treatment for it i had to be checked every 6months at first so why isnt it the same for breast cancer patients?..i will ask this question when i see my onc...xx

PuffyWhiteClou

Wishing you all the very best.

Some hospitals do not even offer yearly mammograms post-diagnosis so I think 6-monthly is very unlikely anywhere. I have had to fight for yearly mammograms in spite of having a full mastectomy for Grade 3, 5cm multifocal IDC with node involvement and BRCA1 variant.

KB0

Hi JCJ,thank you for you comment. i have to say that im getting so stressed about it all tbh, this is not like me but im so scared, i need to get a grip lol....

JCJ

I was dx 3/2/12 - WLE, SNB and rads, and had my first annual follow up mammogram last month. I was terrified of being sent back to start all over again. The mammogram was VERY painful on the treated side and I was sore for a couple of days. Make sure you have painkillers with you, although I've heard some ladies say theirs was OK.

Waiting for the results (I was told up to 2 weeks) was pretty tense, and I held my breath when I opened the envelope from the hospital. I have never been so relieved to see the word "NORMAL" - (their capitals, not mine!) Such a relief. 'Though I expect I'll put myself through the ringer again next year when it's time for the next one!

Good Luck - look on the bright side: At least if there is a problem it'll be dealt with sooner rather than later. It's great consolation in those demon-on-the-shoulder moments to know you've been thoroughly checked!
KB0

Hi, thanks guys, just reading your posts makes me feel so much better. I thought that nobody had read this...xx

HJU63

Hi Karen,
I was diagnosed 01/03/2012 and had my first follow-up mammo on 12/03/2013. Like you I was really anxious. For me, it brought the whole diagnosis experience back and I was very afraid of the same outcome. The mammo was a bit more uncomfortable on my treated side but bearable. But I found I just silently cried throughout the whole thing! The nurse in the mobile unit was very kind and gentle towards me. I have now had my results and I am currently NED so start the rest of my life with my good friend tamoxifen to help me keep the dreaded BC at bay. You have withstood surgery, chemo and RT so you can get through this mammogram - it is understndable thet you have these anxieties. Be kind to yourself
Helen

Cazza40

Hi KB
i feel exactly like you ! I was diagnosed last July and have had surgery and am on tamoxifen now and have been trying ( not very well ! ) to eat healthily , exercise ... Basically do anything to prevent it coming back. I am dreading this July already as am so fearful it will be back and well that hellish time will start again .. I am sure that our feelings are normal and that we will get used to those annual check ups
Cazza xx
KB0

First mammogram coming up shortly after diagnosis a year ago and feeling very anxious.

Hi all,
not sure if i'm on the right forum for this subject because i was diagnosed with BC a year ago but i guess its still all fairly new.
Anyway, I've got my first mammogram coming up shortly.This will be my first one after surgery and treatment etc etc. I can honestly say i am feeling extremely anxious about this. I have done so well so far and i have had a very positive attitude and everything has gone really well, but im just feeling very paranoid and nervous. I'm just a bit worried ill have to go through the same process again..silly thoughts... i know, but i can't get them out of my head. However, what i do keep thinking is if they do find anything again then i guess its going to be caught early. I hold on to that thought.
I am also wondering why we dont have mammograms every 6months rather than a year.

Many thanks.

Karen..xxx