cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post to site

5 REPLIES 5
carol28

Re: First post to site

Thank you so much for your posts ladies, it is really appreciated. I have been so touched and comforted by all the support that is available.Spent a lot of time on the website looking at all the different treatments, reconstructions etc. At the moment, I'm not sure that I want more of my body interfered with for recon but I might change my mind on that. I seem to be changing my mind every five seconds!!
Just want to get this over with now and let me get on with arrangements for wedding. I know it's not going to be that simple but I will do my damnest to conquer this!! There now, that's a bit of fighting talk. Positive thoughts to you all.
Carol
karenp

Sorry, not sure what happened....tried to write a post and include a smile, and all mt text disappeared....
Carol, sorry to hear your news. I had a similair situation when told I needed a mastectomy, and it was scheduled ten days before my sister's wedding. We debated postponing the surgery, but went ahead. The good news it that I made it to Bronwyn's wedding. I still had the surgical drain in, and wasn't able to danced the night away, but I was there. Between learning I needed surgery, and the operation, I did everything I could to get as fit as possible, walking every day. That really helped. It also gave me something positive to focus on in between all the stress of waiting for scan results etc.
i hope you have at least two weeks between the surgery and the wedding.
karen
Lucy_BCC

Hi Carol and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the valuable support you have here, our helpliners are on hand with further support, information and a listening ear on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call

I am posting a link to some BCC information you may find helpful over the coming months:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=diagnosis

Take care

Lucy

Lexi42

Hi Carol28,
I am new to this too. I can't help I'm afraid as I was diagnosed last Tuesday (5 march 2013), but I thought I would just say I know how you feel when you say you we're poleaxed. All this remaining positive is quite tiring isn't it. I'm 47 with 2 kids (18 & 16) and a full time job. I went to have a lump under my left arm and a cyst in left breast looked at the week before and they took biopsies. I had convinced myself they were just cysts so when they said grade 1 cancer it felt like they were talking about someone else. So I have an appointment in oncology Thursday and ct scan and bone scan on Friday next week. just thought I would lend some support and I'm sure someone who is further down the line in all this will post some advice soon.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Carol,
so sorry to here your news, its sometimes hard to find the words that i think will comfort you.
its so earley to give you any thing, all i know is i had left breast cancer, had mastectomy 26th sept last year,with a diep reconstruction and right breast reduction and was told 12 weeks recovery, but i was up and out and about in just over a week very very slowly i must admit but i was determined, but thats if your going to have reconstuction, if not i think recovery is couple of weeks, sometimes delayed reconstuction may be your choice, you have a lot of talking to do, and desision to make, and its not always easy it was the hardest thing for me, but when all the plan is put in to place, things seem a little easier, you have a tuff journey ahead, but never alone.
sending strenth to you, and big hugs
xxxx
carol28

First post to site

Hello Folks
I was told on 6th March I have breast cancer in three areas of my left breast. I was poleaxed when the surgeon told me it would have to be a mastectomy. I have since been for MRI scan (Fri 8th) and have to wait till next Wed to get results of that - whether it's more extensive in left boob and if any signs in right boob. I am 51 years old, married, two children and two beautiful granddaughters. I am absolutely terrified but have tried to be positive for my family and army of pals, all of whom have been a great comfort and support. Can anyone tell me how long recovery from op might be? My daughter gets married in May and the surgeon is talking about this op being carried out very soon. Will find out on Wed when and possibly what other treatment may be required. Started on Tamoxifen yesterday. I am worried I may not be ok for wedding. Any info would be greatly appreciated.