cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First session

8 REPLIES 8
kim-53

Re: First session

hi kay thanks for advice i will defo keep a closer eye on my temp after the nxt dose as my course of antibiotics have finished and i still have a bad cough and cold, im just hoping it wont postpone my last chemo! thats a good idea about wearing a special t shirt for the last chemo as it really is something to feel good about! im afraid my hair hasnt shown any signs yet of growing back and i so wish it would as its really getting me down as i have lost all my body hairs as well, i miss my eyelashes so much,i wish you well with your scans and op, ive had a double mastectomy already!! x

kay73

Hi Kim 53,

Sounds like youre doing well !

I was lucky that i went into hospital with a temperature of 100 and racing heart and they managed to kill my infection before it developed, my bloods dropped the very next day... to 0.0 so i was kept in till they could get my cell count up, it took five days but i was very lucky to miss that infection 🙂

I had ondesatron too, one in hospital and one at home cant say whether it helped or not 🙂 Was sick with the first three and not at all with the 2nd set.

The aches with the docetaxel and filgrastim injections are the worst bit, my chemo nurse prescribed me some codeine to help as i was wary about taking paracetomol because of temperatures ! If the count dropped this time theres a chance it will drop again like that next time, keep an eye on yourself. I asked when i was in hospital and because i'd finished chemo they said the cell count wont drop again, only if i had more treatment it may do it again ! I'd be extra careful with who your around, germs etc... I managed to miss a lot of illness i just stayed in and away from people that we knew were ill. Also bought a hand foam from boots, its in the plaster section, kills germs and viruses, the acohol ones only kill germs. its not cheap but its done the job for hubby and me through the winter, hes not picked up any illness at work.

Good luck with your last treatment, is your hair growing yet ??? Have a little celebration that you got through the worst bit of it all !!! Ive been told the radiotherapy will make your skin sore and you  little tired but its nothing compared to  chemo 🙂 Only a week to go till your last one, i got a t shirt to wear for my last one saying cancer can kiss my as* 🙂 we took a picture and everything !

ive got scans and an op before i go for radiotherapy.

Good luck to you for a healthy and happy future

Kay xxx

kim-53

hi kay73 i have just read your post and i must say i totally agree with you about manuka honey, what a godsend for 'slimy mouths' and its also good to boost white blood cells (so im told) i suffered with terrible sickness with fec chemo but was prescribed emend and ondastron like alice45 and it helped so much,im now on docitaxel and this has been much better with sickness but the other se's are worse, i ended up in hosp on mon with very low blood 0.4 so i picked up a chest infection which has wiped me out all week but the thing that keeps me going is the thought of my last dose chemo on april 2nd!!! i cant wait, i got my list of radiotherapy treatments come in the post this morning i start 20 sessions on april 15th, good luck to all you ladies on here, and good luck with the sickness to bettymoo xxx
kay73

Hi Betty Moo,

Glad they got you sorted out !

I pretty much got away scott free with my first chemo session, just a tiny bit of nausea, but number 2 and 3 were horrendous for sickness. Went for first two to three nights being violently sick in the evenings and then nothing for the rest of my cycle, yes had other side effects but nothing major with the epirubicin and cyclophosphomide. Is it bad that you get used to it ? 🙂

We worked out that small meals and often worked well, breakfast was my biggest meal and dinner the smallest and lightest. worked for me through all my chemo which finished nearly four weeks ago. Found that i couldnt eat certain foods, they would make me feel sick just at the smell of them, especially through the docetaxel.  We kept my diet really healthy, lots of green foods and juices, home made smoothies etc...  but if i fancied something hubby would go out and get it, whether it was jelly or some chinese food, just made sure i only ate a little at a time.

Also found that meat didnt, still doesnt digest properly so i only eat a small amount of meat and more veg.

My saviour was green tea and honey if i didnt feel well !!! and ... manuka honey on the docetaxel when my mouth split and ulcerated etc.. id take a teaspoon of manuka on my tongue and leave it there as long as possible it really helped with the healing.

Lost all taste buds with docetaxel, got mouth thrush to go with the splitting and ulcers, if this happens they can give you mouth washes, but the only thing that really cleared it was Fluconazole, just pills for 7 days. I had them with every cycle.

I lost a piece of tooth too, dentist managed to fix it between cycles without injections and then told me i need 5 more fillings, because of the chemo. At least its only fillings 🙂

My chemo time has been horrible as im sure evreyones has, i had three stops in hospital with docetaxel, two over nights and one for a week because of nutropenic scepsis. If i could give any advice it would be keep an eye on temperatures, we bought a digital thermometer and when the aches started on the 4,5,6 cycle we kept an eye on it, if we hadnt i would have been in hospital a lot longer than a week, i went in with a temp of 38 and a racing heart beat, they managed to kill my infection before my bloods dropped, very lucky.

I know it made me paranoid about getting ill but saved me from bad infections and illness. The time has flown by and what makes it all worth it is my lump going from 3.5-4 cms to 1cm, im now waiting for scans ready for my op and then radiotherapy.

All of the nurses tell me chemo is the worst bit of it all, so just count the cycles, weeks, days what ever suits. celebrate the good days and just get through the bad best you can, do what you body says if it needs rest.

Good luck to you all and you'll be out the other side before you know.

four weeks post chemo and the numbness in my fingers and toes is disappearing, my fingernails are still lifting but not fallen off yet, ive got water retention in my ankles its just started but thats it 🙂 my hair is growing back, its almost a full head of hair already, so too are my brows and lashes (only small growth but ill take it) and im still very tired but feeling a whole lot better in general !!!

dont know if any of this helps 🙂

Kay xxx

bettymoo

Thanks for the replies - the injection I had was a godsend!!

Had it, went home and slept for a few hours and actually felt hungry after I'd done that - but I didn't push myself, just had a few grapes, blueberries and apricots for my tea and they stayed down.

I had a notebook next to me which I'd been making notes, so when I go back for my 2nd session, I'll take it with me and let them know, although another thing I tried which just settled my stomach for a while, was peppermint tea - tastes vile lol but it seemed to help.

Since Saturday I've been able to eat normal foods, but just in much smaller portions to what I'd usually do, as long as I'm drinking plenty of fluids, mainly water, I feel good!

alice45

SJB is so right - tell them! Keep a careful note of your symptoms and report back. Especially on the first dose of chemo, they don't know how you're going to react, so probably give everyone the standard anti sickness drugs and wait to see. After much reporting back, I'm now getting Emend and Ondansetron (another highly recommended med) and am still feeling nauseous for the entire first 2 weeks! But just as I feel I'm the only one in the world to be cursed in this way, I read of someone hospitalised after 3 days of continuous vomiting and realise that actually I'm quite lucky as I haven't been sick once.

They say everyone reacts differently, and that is so true. You can read other ladies' experiences and recommendations, but how chemo affects you will be a very personal thing. Good luck.

PS Sorry SJB, I should have read your post more carefully as I realise that I have just repeated some of what you said! Just shows how right you are, though.... 🙂

SJB

Some people suffer with nausea and sickness much more than others. You need to call your BC nurse and tell them. Your oncologist can either prescribe a better anti-sickness drug or tell you what to ask your GP for. The best drug is Emend, which is usually given to those suffering the most, so ASK for it!

It shouldn't last more than 2-3 days this time, but with better planning, they can improve things for next time. No one knows how much help you need until you have your first lot of chemo. It really is so different from person to person.

dh

I was sick as soon as I got home from first session too. Then I was sick every 2-3 hours all night and all the next day. I then just felt weak for a couple of days. I'm hoping next time they can give higher dose of anti sickness so maybe won't be so bad. I'm now on day 10 and feeling pretty normal xxx
bettymoo

First session

I had my PICC line put in yesterday and also had my first cold cap & chemo session. Felt absolutely fine until I left the hospital and got home. Felt really nauseas so had an anti sickness tablet, didn't work! Was sick 3 times from 7.30pm til 10am this morning. Tried some toast but only managed one slice all day today and even went to the dr sand had an anti sickness injection. Feeling a bit better and hungry but don't want to eat. How long does this last?