Flaxseed

Does anyone have any thoughts about adding flaxseed to their diet. I have read conflicting reports on the web. I’m Her 2 positive ER+.

Hi Amelia I have also read a lot of conflicting advice and was recommended to take flaxseed by a gastroenterologist who I saw about tamoxifen induced constipation. I spoke to my oncologist about it. He said it was not ideal to take it alongside tamoxifen and it definitely shouldn’t be taken with aromatase inhibitors. It’s interesting how many different opinions there are about this but I decided to take his advice.

Thank you. So much conflicting advice about diet for her2 positive breast cancer. As I’m on Letrozole, I’ll take your oncologists advice and steer clear.

This has worried me a little as I’m on Anastrozole and have been sprinkling two tablespoons of the stuff on my Weetabix each morning for the last month! I’d read it was good for breast cancer. I’ll stop now. We’re bombarded with conflicting advice. x

Hi ladies

posted this on another thread - but may be of help here - to understand - and flaxseed has higher amount of phytoestrogens than even soya.

We should stay away from anything - food or supplement wise,which has higher amounts of phytoestrogens.

These do occur in our foods naturally and mimic estrogen, from which we should stay away if we had a hormone positive diagnosis.

Here is a better explanation as the ‘why’

QUOTE -  

Phytoestrogens

Phytoestrogens are considered plant-based compounds that elicit similar effects to estrogen. Although phytoestrogens aren’t generated from within the endocrine system, they can be a helpful way to stimulate many of the same functions of estrogen. This is because phytoestrogens sit in the same receptor sites that estrogen would – thus similar effects are produced.

3 Types of Phytoestrogens
Below are three common types of phytoestrogens derived from foods. Certain foods may contain multiple types of phytoestrogens, but one may be dominant.
Coumestan: Phytochemicals called “coumestans” contain a compound called “coumestrol.” Coumestrol is known to elicit estrogenic effects and is considered a phytoestrogen. Examples of foods with coumestrol include: alfalfa, legumes, pinto beans, soybeans, chick peas, and clovers.
Isoflavones: This is another compound that is related to “isoflavonoids.” They act as phytoestrogens in people and are sometimes considered antioxidants. Examples of isoflavones include: soy products and legumes.
Lignans: This is the third type of phytoestrogen derived from foods. Lignans are most commonly found in foods like brans, beans, fruits, and vegetables. - END QUOTE

Of course we cannot avoid them altogether - otherwise we would not eat! We should try and stay away from those containing a high percentage such as:

Flax seeds

Soya and anyting made out of or containing soya

Tofu

Textured veggie protein

It may be an idea not to overdose on nuts.  

Any supplements, which say they alleviate menopausal symptoms are a no, as are any other supplements, which have estrogen enhancing properties, such as Maca root. If in doubt - google the supplement and check its ingredients and what they are supposed to do for you. It may throw some light onto whether they are ok or not. It may also be worth asking your chemist and explain the reason why you are asking.

Hope this helps

Sue xx

Bit confused here as my surgeon and oncologist have both just given me the green light to use Vagifem for vaginal dryness as it is causing pain and distress.

anyone else using Vagifem and having ER+ breast cancer ?