Call me foolish but I've just declined both the flu and pneumonia jabs. There's enough going on in my body without the introduction of these germs. I'll take my chances. It's only the second time the surgery's phoned me without me phoning them first. The first time was a couple of years ago when my GP asked who I was because he kept getting letters from two hospitals about me!! Don't mean to go off the topic but when I just put the phone down after speaking to the receptionist, I did say words to the effect of up yours.
Good luck to us all.
I had the flu jab on 18th Oct this year.The next day my arm was red and swollen in a tennis ball sized area round jab site.The next day I started coughing and sneezing and had a temperature.I am still coughing.I had finished a course of antibiotics for a chest infection a couple of weeks earlier but that cough had almost gone.It is 18months since I finished chemo.I suppose my cough could be sinister but it would be a bit of a coincidence.
The following links will take you to further information about the flu jab:
I have been told by my onc to have my flu jab and am booked in to have it next week.How can dr think so different I feel that I am better of having the jab than catching the flue
I am really surprised that we have been given different advice on this. My GP actually got the whole NHS flu document out and showed me the section that lists the parts of the jab, which states that they are all inactivated this year and the guidelines that say we should have it. So it has no live ingredients to catch?
I am puzzled ?
My doc said a big no no to the flu jab, he actually said there was still a chance I could get the flu from it, even though the medical profession insist you cannot.
Spoke to my ONC last week about flu jab and she said to get it when levels are at best eg just before next chemo so geting mine on 11th Nov. Didn't know about pheumonia one though
I am currently deciding whether to have it or not, my GP and my onc say yes. My GP checked and it is an inactivated version this year, so with no live parts we can have it. He said the NHS guidelines recommend it for people who are on chemo, etc. The onc said have it as far away from the last dose as possible. Or as I have one double dose to go, they said i could wait until the same time after the final one if I preferred. I didn't want to go into the next chemo feeling odd, hence the dithering. My neuts have been high right through and I was told this would most likely stop me from getting pneumonia but I would still catch flu if in contact with it
I went for my flu jab on Saturday (because I'm still on chemo) but couldn't have it because my haemoglobin is too low and they didn't want to risk it.
So have to wait until it goes up again before I can have it.
I never used to have the flu jab after I was first diagnosed (14 years ago) after finishing chemo etc but now have secondaries and am still on chemo
I had flu jab part way through chemo last year & was given it just before my next dose when my blood count was on its upward trend - think it was about day 18 on a 3 week chemo cycle. Oncologist had no hesitation in recommending I had it, I had no adverse effects & didn't get flu ! I am susceptible to colds etc at best of times & was given a Neulasta jab after each chemo dose to help my immune system. Flu jab again this year although chemo finished & on hormone treatment. Asked oncologist first & again no hesitation. Immune system is compromised for a long time after chemo so didn't want to take chance.
AFTER chemo immune system is compromised for some time. You are ENTITLED to a flu jab. There is also a pneumonia jab (lifetime protection) which you ought to be offered (Scotland).
I got my pneumonia jab last year with no problem in England but then I was and still am on chemo.
How long do they say you are immune suppressed after chemo then?