cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluid after WLE?

5 REPLIES 5
Pegglass

Re: Fluid after WLE?

After my WLE my boob 'fizzed' for a couple of weeks - but it went quiet and the swelling went down on it's own.
It did feel very odd, like bubbles were being blown through water.
susieseaside64

Thanks JCJ
Didn't have SNB so no problems with that. Have been doing the exercises for 1st week on the BCC DVD.
Only doing half sun salutations when doing yoga so no weight bearing on left arm. Discussed with BCN this morning and will try to reign in my enthusiasm to exercise (I usually run twice a week and go to yoga & gym too!) and take it easy for a couple of weeks. They won't drain it unless it becomes hard. BCN has advised ok to go to yoga class but take it easy. It will be good even if just for the relaxation at the end - it will help with waiting for my results next Weds...
JCJ

It could well be seroma - I had that. It is just your body producing fluid. Your BCN will drain it if necessary, (painless) but it may well just build back up. Some doctors prefer to let the body absorb it naturally. My WLE boob was actually BIGGER that the other one for quite a while due to this fluid. I had mine drained several times in the first 3 weeks after surgery. Even now, a year on from my op, I still feel odd fluidy patches now and then.

If you had a SNB as well, don't overdo the stretching as straining the arm too much too soon COULD cause lymphodoema. Gentle stretching is fine. There is a BCC exercise booklet that I found really helpful after my surgery.
http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/getting-fitter-feeling-stronger-leaflet-exercises-after-surgery-bcc6
susieseaside64

Thanks Lola, that's reassuring. I did my usual yoga sun salutations this morning with no ill effects other than a sloshing around sound! If I'm concerned tomorrow I'll ring Valerie my lovely BCN.
Hope all goes well for you.
Lola65

Hi Susie,

I had my second WLE on Friday. (First WLE and SNB was in January). I can say Yes, it is normal for the breast to be red round the dressing area, and also bruised and tender elsewhere. The surgeon was inside there doing a bit of cutting shaving, and shifting so it is to be expected. I have not had fluid in my breast at all up to now - certainly none with the first excision. I think if it were something to worry about you would be able to feel a fluid-filled lump, and at that stage maybe you could ring your BCN.

I did the physiotherapy exercises they gave me at the hospital, but to be honest I only did them occasionally as I had no real discomfort and had full arm movement from the morning after the operation.
susieseaside64

Fluid after WLE?

Hi everyone
I had WLE 2 days ago in myleft breast and seem to be rocovering well with no nausea and no pain at all post op! Just a bit concerned that I can hear fluid in my breast (thought is was my stomach at first!)and it seems to be a bit red (but not bright red) around the dressing. It doesn't feel hot either so hopefully not infection. Is this to be expected? I have continued to do gentle yoga stretches in the mornings too - is this ok?
Sue