Fluid build up / seroma post op - feel like I'm growing a new breast!

Hi, I’ve read quite a few post about underarm fluid build up/seromas post MX and ANC but nothing about fluid building up around the mastectomy area - ie where the breast used to be.
Im 12 days post op and have been to see the clinic nurse a couple of times and they have said if I can bear it to wait for my post op appt on Wednesday. It is a little uncomfortable but not painful but doeskin look like there is a huge amount of fluid in there and I worry that once drained it will just return and drag on.

Has anyone else had a similar experience / have any advice for helping the body reabsorb the fluid? Any advice / similar experience would be very reassuring!

Hi, I had the same problem. I had fluid drained about 10 times over 6 weeks, and thought it was never going to go - but it did! I found the seroma really uncomfortable and, at the time more, distressing than losing the breast. Everybody is different, but it should clear up with a little help or on it’s own.

Hi Aly.
I had MX and ANC 5 weeks ago today. Still got some fluid in chest and underarm. I go to the hospital Fridays to ge it drained. Good news is that last Friday was only 275 mls came out. The week before was 450 mls.
The tell me nothing I can do to help it re-absorb.
I had chemo first which they told me does make it take longer to heal as my blood is still not back to normal.
it is annoying, and it does hurt as it gets bigger.
But it is slowing down. At last.

I had my Mx and ANC seven weeks ago. My chest is OK, but looks like I have a small scrotum under my armpit. I’m not sure if it helps, but I have been trying to use self-massage to encourage the lymph to go towards the nodes at the base of my neck, my groin and under my opposite armpit. The swelling is going down. Might be me, or it might be going down in any case - but at least I’m doing something. Massage should be incredibly gentle: enough to stretch the skin but not move the muscles underneath. This may help:

http://www.gloshospitals.org.uk/SharePoint5/Patient%20Information%20Leaflets/GHPI0883.pdf

hi
i had the same after my mx and anc and my nurse told me to lay flat on the bed and extra extra gentle move my hand across the site, but not to rub. the gentle motion was supposed to let the fluid disperse to other places. i do think it worked for me, it relieved some of the pressure but you must be careful not to rub.
it did feel weird growing a new boob though.
hope this helps,
angie xx

Hi ladies, thanks so much for the posts and info. Angie and sdfmeg I like the sound of the very gentle massage / stroking how often did you do it? Catzooo and stillme it’s veryreassuring to hear that it does go away eventually, can’t wait to get it drained on Weds reckon there’s going to be about a pint! At the moment I feel like I’ve got a balloon instead of my boob. I’ll keep this thread going with my progress in case anyone’s having the same concerns.
Aly x

hi aly
do it whenever needed, you can feel the start of the build up i think, so i used to do it then before it could get bigger.
good luck, dont rub!
angie xx

Hi,
I had ANC 12 days ago. My drain was removed a week later, but I have developed a Seroma. 200 mls were drained off today and I was told that I would need to go back in a couple of days for further drainage.
The above blogs are really helpful and reassurring.
I’m wondering if anyone can advise me about the ‘nerve’ pain underneath my arm where the ANC took place. I’ve tried tramadol, codeine, paracetamol and brufen. Nothing is working and this is causing me a lot of distress.
Robbie Jane

Hi Robbie Jane, the nerve pain is a nightmare isn’t it? I’ve been advised to gently massage E45 cream into my arm or get someone else to do it if its too painful. Also brushing the painful area with soft fabrics like a silk scarf. I think it stimulates the nerve endings to heal. Keep up the exercises I do the ones from the BCC leaflet and additional ones from an NHS leaflet I was given when I left hospital. Hope things improve for you. X

Hi there
Sorry to hear about your seroma problem. I had that after my mx too and it does get incredibly uncomfortable. At its worst, I could actually feel the fluid rushing down from the shoulder area into my chest. For me, it did go on for quite a long time and I had to have it regularly drained (the worst was 400 ml) but then all of a sudden it stopped and everything healed. It went flat and smooth as it should be. Everyone is different and your body will heal in its own time. Some women only need to go and get it drained once of twice and then it resolves.

Hopefully your consultant/nurses will be sympathetic and allow you to go and get it drained as and when it needs it. It’s a nuisance but it will resolve. I had very large breasts and was told it is more common for women who had larger breasts.

Hope you are feeling more comfortable after your appointment on Weds.
Elinda x

Great news almost 6 weeks post surgery - I’ve stopped filling up with fluid. Went back to the hospital just to check, and it is healing well now. The nerve pain has almost gone away too. Still feels very stiff, but keeping up with the exercises as I got Rads next.

Hi everyone - so I finally had my 2 week post op on Wednesday and they drained 500mls ( yup a whole pint!) they actually said it had been left a little too long and should have been drained earlier but thankfully it seems to have done the trick and when I met the Onc on Friday she felt that there was no need to drain anymore so hopefully that’s that.
It wasn’t painful at all and really weird to watch by ‘boob’ slowly shrivel down like a balloon. Apparently if you have larger boobs it is very common, the nurse said the clinic record was 3 x 400ml bottles in one go - can you imagine!

I hope everything goes well for all of your post op recoveries, thanks so much for your reassuring posts.

aly xx

It is 9 weeks since my MX following DCIS and I have been told my seroma will probably last at least 6 months. Bit like having a built in football and at one point I almost gave it a name. How sad is that. I didn’t want it drained because it doesn’t particularly bother me and I didn’t wants to risk infection. I work full time and my day passes so quickly I never even think about my seroma. However I did manage to severly bruise it a few weeks ago it by rather stupidly carrying a rather heavy bag of shopping against my chest. I got off the bus, went into the supermarket for one thing and came out with far more. It looked like the red sky at night and will take weeks to clear. It wasn’t painful and I iced packed it for a couple of days just in case. After several weeks I have been able to wear a camio bra again (don’t need any padding at this point) and it is far more comfortable. I enjoy doing the exercises twice daily from the booklet I was given and they have certainly improved my flexibility but made no difference to my seroma. Of course we are all different and want different things but for me if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

Hiya, can I jump in please? I found all your posts really helpful and reassuring. I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node clearance on 24 April and although all is clear I had a ANC as a precaution ten days ago. I was in hosp for five days as I was draining well over 100ml a day. Since i got home the seroma has built up and is the size of an orange under my arm and feels like the top of my arm and chest is swollen too. i had it checked yesterday at herceptin clinic and the nurse immediately contacted the consultant as she said it was “extensive”. The upshot is that the consultant is,seeing me this morning (Sunday!!) It is so sore -is this normal? Taking paracetamol and dihydracodiene which help. also i am so very tired. I feel a bit lost as the surgeon made out that the anc was quite a straightforward op and i would be a day patient. Eh no! The nurses on the ward were the ones who spelled out how it would affect me. Sorry to ramble but its been a long six months with chemo,surgery, herceptin and potential rads. Id be grateful for any thoughts or advice x

Hi jintyb,
I had WLE and ANC just over three weeks ago. I have had the underarm seroma drained three times (which was Painfree), I also found it very uncomfortable and took regular painkillers. The first time it drained about 270mls and each time it has got less. Seeing the consultant is the best thing for you. Keep trying to do your arm exercises after your painkillers as the last thing you need is shoulder mobility problems.
I stayed in overnight after surgery as the nurses said it was alot to cope with as a day case, although the surgeon thought I would just be in for the day. So glad I did stay in as I needed morphine during the night.
You will feel much better once the fluid has gone, contact your breast nurse if it starts to return.
Hope you get on okay today.
Gentle hug x

Hi, I’ve got Seroma too - I had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance 3 weeks ago. I had the seroma drained at my post op appointment on Monday (I heard the nurse say something like 400 or 450 ml to the doctor). It felt good to have it gone…but it came straight back the next day, which was really disappointing. I’m not finding it too uncomfortable but it does make me a bit anxious even though all the literature says it can take some weeks to disappear, and the hospital advised against getting it drained often unless it’s causing a problem, due to the risk of infection (and I’m starting chemo soon). So I can sympathise with all those experiencing this too.
It’s funny in a way as it’s a bit like having a boob on that side again - I can’t wear the softie I was given because it makes it look bigger than my other boob!:slight_smile: So I’m able to wear a bra pretty normally without it showing that I only have one now . I’ll be glad when it dissapears though. I keep worrying it’ll get bigger and open my scar or something, but it seems to have stabilised.
The arm discomfort does dissapear over time, even though it might seem like forever and as though nothing is changing. So I would advise to persever with the excersises. I had so much discomfort recently, but also tried massaging my arm and shoulders every day, whilst watching TV, just gently using the flat of my hand in a gentle circular motion. I think this might have helped as the skin sensitivity, bruised feeling and ‘pins’ feeling is subsiding (slowly) - although I’ve still got a lot of tightness in moving my arm in certain directions. Trying to do the walking the hand up a wall exercise is really difficult! But it’s improving…I have a wallpaper with little flowers on and I can see my hand moving up past them little by little - nice to have something to measure against, as it doesn’t always seem like much is changing:)
So don’t give up anyone! We’ll all get through this, albeit slowly

Hi looking for some advise from anyone who’s had ANC. Had wle and anc18th June, had drain removed 9 days later as in loads of pain, when removed lost a lot of fluid post removal, bc nurse said drain wasn’t working. Since then felt a lot better, still doing all exercises, pretty good range in arm. Today though arm very painful down to elbow and when I have arm against body and against right breast (wle) feels swollen but no obvious swelling. No obvious swelling in breast, just bruised. Arm measures same, is extremely sensitive anyway since ANC, feels like constant sunburn. Just can’t get pain relief even after exercise, what’s cording feel like, wouldn’t a seroma show? Can anyone help pain getting me down. Did have a lazy day yesterday would lying down too much contribute? Help!!! Thank replying if you do reply, currently using hot water bottle and making OH make me coffee, I’m prob doing his head in but making use of him feeling bit sorry for me!! X

Hi Lols, I didn’t have ANC but sunburn type feeling sounds just like what I had a couple of weeks after my MX. Nothing touching my skin was fine and a constant pressure on it was better than anything lightly brushing it which did feel just like something touching sunburn. So oddly a snug fitting sleeve may help. It does wear off - one day you will suddenly think when did that stop hurting? If it’s really bad they can prescribe tablets to help.

Thanks nice to know sensitivity goes, got appt tomorrow will ask for stronger painkillers. Nite x

Hi me again, had 2nd wle approx 2 weeks ago, last monday had aspiration, last few days leaking from wound off and on, has become today uncomfortable today, havnt had mx, just wle and full ANC, now under arm and boob tight, swollen, feeling swollen in upper back on op side, not due for further aspiration till Tuesday, my surgeon will only do once a week as infection risk, any advice regarding easing it, have elevated arm have done exercise. Cannot get comfy whatever I do really painful now, taken brufen but no relief.
a would be grateful for any help, need to get a good nights sleep, thanks x