Flying and Fear of DVts and Meds

Hi, Can anyone tell me about their experiences of long haul flights and Fragmin while on Tamoxifen. I’m doing the trip of a lifetime to Trinidad and Tobago and I’m struggling to deal with my anxiety about the 11.5 hour flight. I am overweight and have lymphodema in arm and torso.

My GP has prescribed a Fragmin injection before the flights.

Several questions then:

1. Who has had a blood thinning injection and how did you get on?
  2. How did you get on without this medication?
  3. Has anyone developed a dvt from flying? If so, what would you do differently?
  4. any idea where I can get a compression sleeve quickly. I am going in just under two weeks.

Any advice most welcome. Thanks.

Hi
I’m flying to the carribean on Saturday. I haven’t been prescribed any anticoagulants but I have got a sleeve. My GP gave me a prescription which i took to my local chemist, she phoned the supplier, measured my arm and put in the order. It was there the next day. Hope that this helps.
Nicky x

Hi both

I’ve never been prescribed anti-coagulants for flying. I finished chemotherapy about 7 weeks ago and am now on monthly Faslodex (similar action to Tamoxifen, I’ve been told), so I imagine my situation is similar to yours in some ways, purplefleece.

I wear flight socks, eat a load of oily fish the day before I go and nick a few of OH’s anti-stroke aspirin to take before, during and after the flight.

I have bilateral lymphoedema…why haven’t you been given a sleeve and maybe a compression top, too, by your local lymphoedema service, purplefleece?

It’s probably too late to get the NHS to fire for you before you go, but here’s a few other suggestions…

Nonny (hope you don’t mind me copying it and reposting it here, Nonny) wrote this a little while ago about Activa sleeves on another lymphoedema thread on this site:

‘Just thought I’d jump in on this one. I had a bilateral mastectomy and full amillary clearance on the right side followed by radiotherapy on that side including the axilla. I asked my Breast Care Nurse about lymphoedema and she gave me the name ‘Activa Support’ which I looked up on the Internet. I had read advice about wearing a support sleeve when flying and when doing activities such as ironing, lifting and gardening. Having had Chemotherapy I was already at a higher risk of DVT so always wore travel socks as I do a lot of flying (internal as well as Europe, not long haul) I thought it would be a good idea to get fitted. I saw my GP and he agreed with me and referred me to our Lymphoedema Clinic where I was told they did not supply sleeves as a preventative measure, you have to wait until you have already developed lymphoedema! So I got measured (you can download the instructions of how to take measurements and the sizes and types of sleeves from Activa website) and purchased my own sleeve from Lloyds Chemist, £28.68 I think it was. I don’t want lymphoedema and will do all I can to prevent it’.

Or, if you can get to see a private lymphoedema therapist (mlduk.org.uk will enable you to find your nearest), she should be able to order a sleeve for you that will arrive in time. My last order from Haddenhams came only two days after the order was placed.

You could also try lessbounce.com for a bra that might help with the truncal lymphoedema. I e-mailed them first and explained my needs and they were very helpful - and delivery was quick, too. Haddenhams Healthcare also sell suitable bras on their website. Just two I can think of quickly.

I’ve never found that flying has particularly aggravated my lymphoedema, but I’ve always had a sleeve to wear on flights.

I’m actually off to NZ shortly. I’ll wear my newest sleeves for the flight, drink plenty of water and keep as active as possible (never easy on an aeroplane, but drinking plenty of water will keep me going to the loo!,; I’ve been told even sitting in your seat, flexing your calves and rolling your shoulders will help to keep the lymph moving. I’ve got a squeezeball from the LSN and that will be going in my hand luggage.

I would say the most important thing is to get the ball rolling on that sleeve!

I’m sure you’ll get something sorted in time and have a wonderful holiday.

X to you both

S

Hi There PurpleFleece,

On the subject of anti-coagulants. I have been having daily injections of Clexane (very similar to Fragmin) for 18 months every since I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms in both lungs, this was as a direct result of the cancer overload on my body at the time.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the injections,I quickly got used to doing them myself, the key is to pinch the fold of skin you are going to inject very hard, this numbs it somewhat, and dont rub afterward or you’ll get one hell of a bruise.

The day after the injection you may notice that if you nick yourself, you may bleed a little longer than normal, but it does stop.
I have been on many flights with my injections and had no problems whatsover, what I would say is, carry your injections in your hand luggage and when you go through security, hand the injections along with the box they come in that has your name on to the security guy to declare, and they just wave you through, once I left them in my hand luggage and put it through the scanner and because the scanner picked up the syringes ,I was pulled aside and asked lots of questions about them, was held up for quite a while.

I wear full length surgical stockings that are prescribed for me, to bed every night and all the day that I’m flying. I have a lymphodeoma sleeve that was prescribed for me to wear during flights, it is worn to prevent any possible problems with swelling.
During the flight I do the usual foot and leg exercises and try to walk around if possible.

Because you will be taking the blood thinning injection, I would say you have an almost zero risk of developing DVT, certainly a lot less than the normal population or someone who has a history of blood clots like myself, and I feel very confident flying once Ive had my injection,
Dont worry, enjoy your wonderful holiday,

SS

Thanks everyone, for your advice and support. I’m feeling a little better about taking the one off Fragmin jabs before each flight and I’m just going to keep moving and drink plenty of water and keep my arm up and watch the bloomin movies! Hope you had a trouble free trip, Nicky.

Squeezeball’s a good idea.

I’ll report back after 4th Feb. Watch this space!