Follow up after treatment

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 hormone fed breast cancer in the left side with lymph node involvement in July 2015.

I went on to have 6 cycles of chemo, a double (my choice) mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.

I have now started monthly Zolodex injections, 6 monthly Zometa infusions and daily exemestane tablets.

My hospital have informed me that my checks going forward will be a physical examination yearly and that’s it! I can’t get my head around why no scans of any sort especially as I had lymph involvement?

Can anybody tell me if they have been offered scans as follow up? I find it difficult to relax without this form of checking in the future.

Thank you x

Hi Nina

I am sorry that you havent recieved any response to your post as yet.  It is busier on the Living with breast cancer board.  If you repost there, I am sure you will get lots of support.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Hi nina. I also have the same issue that a full reassuring scan was not arranged even after me asking for it loads if time. It gave me a depression of a life. However i had headaches and got a nrain scan and before that some acne kind of stuff around the scar where i had ultra sound for the scar. Those broken bits were very helpfull. Now for quite a few weeks a pain in side waist is lingering. I hope all goes well when i see my gp. Take care

I’m nearly finished my chemo had surgery before with lymph inv never had any scans apart from mammoth and ultrasound prior to diagnosis have asked lots of times and told don’t nerd them so they obviously only scan in certain situations hope that has helped xxx

Hi Nina Doye

I just wanted to let you know that you are not on your own as I was in the same boat as you although a year earlier. I too had lymph node involvement all the treatments, 2 years on Tamoxifen, currently on Zolodex with Anastrazole.

I too found it very hard to accept that there would be no scans but was told that it can sometimes cause more harm than good to keep scanning as radiation in some tests xrays etc can build up. 

I just have a yearly fumble :open_mouth: and that’s it.  I have had about 3 x when due to a lump or other concern I have had to be referred back and had tests or biopsies taken (no scans) but these were not without any reason.  If i’d had my way tbh I would have been scanned every month (or maybe every week) but they wouldn’t. 

You are lucky in that you get the transfusions as I could only have if I couldn’t tolerate the daily tablet and then my local hospital don’t offer it so would have to go further afield for it if necessary. 

Try not to worry.  You will relax and things will improve.  I’ve been in exactly the same head space that you are now!

Take care

MM

xx