cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up mammograms

8 REPLIES 8
nymeria

Re: Follow up mammograms

Thank you - really wasn't expecting it to be anything other than a frozen shoulder, so I was a bit taken aback, but at least they are good about getting things sorted out quickly.

Nymeria

emmbee

Hi Nymeria,

Glad you got that sorted.

Sorry you are having worries at present. Let's hope the scan brings good news. Fingers crossed for you.

E

nymeria

I had a long chat with my lovely oncologist about all this today and she confirmed that for the next 5 years all mammos will be done by the hospital. I just need to ring the screening service and tell them that I'm receiving treatment. After 5 years the hospital will arrange for me to go back on the screening programme. I am very lucky that I've had nothing but excellent care at my local hospital, so I'm very relieved that the mammos will be done there.

Unfortunately it looks like all the problems with my shoulder might not be as straightforward as I hoped. She was a bit concerned that it might be a regional recurrence, which although unusual so soon after treatment, is not exactly impossible. I've had an x-ray today and she is booking me in for a scan too. Plus I see my surgeon next week so she's going to let him know about this to see what his opinion is. Not the news I was hoping for as I was nervous enough about my first follow ups anyway!

Nymeria x

moorcow

Nymeria, the other issue is the care you receive - I was past myself with anxiety before my first annual mammo and cos it was in the hospital breast screening they were lovely, and as you say knew my history etc. Whereas the nat service is such a quick in and out thing....so def get a hosp appointment for it. I also got a call from national screen for a mammo and just told them why i wasn't coming. best Nicola

nymeria

Thanks everyone.

I will give the screening service a call first and see what they say.

Nymeria x

emmbee

Hi,
Not normal to be on the breast screening programme for follow ups. One year after diagnosis you should have an appointment with your surgeon followed by a mammogram. As Marrian says, some hospital have the arrangement of mammo's first and the surgeon after, much better idea that.

E

Bboonie

I am 2 years post mx. I have my 2nd annual mammogram tomorrow. It is being done at the hospital and not under the breast screening programme. My BC was not found by the normal screening programme, I found the lump. I received an appointment from the screening programme 6 months post mx when I rang them up they suspended my recall by them whilst I am under the hospital.

Basically I would ring up the number on the letter as the National screening programme one may not be the correct place as your results may not go back to your oncologist/breast surgeon.

I have my mammogram 10/14 days before my breast clinic appointment and the appointment comes from the hospital where my follow up appointment is.

Best to check and be sure, as the Breast Screening Program does not neccesarily know you are being followed up at the hospital.

Marrian

SimplesL

Hi

As far as I understand your appointment is probably correct.

On 19 Aug I had Oncology appointment & registrar confirmed he would refer me for my first of the 5 years worth of annual mammos. Waiting for appointment to come through which I understand will be in the Breast Screening Unit.

You shouldn't end up with 2 appointments.

Hope this helps

nymeria

Follow up mammograms

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how these are organised and whether they are done via the national screening process?

I'm just coming up to a year since dx/mx and this morning I received a letter inviting me to go for a mammogram from the national breast screening programme. I don't know whether it's just a coincidence or if this is a part of the normal post treatment follow up procedure. I tried to call my BCN about it but she's not been able to get back to me yet.

I don't want to go and have this done if the hospital is also going to arrange one firstly because I don't want to be exposed to any additional radiation than is necessary, but also the results won't be dealt with by someone who knows my history and may not be forwarded on to my consultant. So I'm in a bit of a quandary about what to do.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks,

Nymeria