cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up scans and appointments

3 REPLIES 3
skinnyminx

Re: Follow up scans and appointments

I'm assuming you're being treated by the NHS in UK?  Generally-speaking scans are not repeated.  I was diagnosed in 2009 (large multi-focal IDC mass with node involvement), mastectomy, ANC, chemo, rads and onoing endocrine therapy.  After 'active' treatment I and had 3 monthly outpatient check-ups and then 6 monthly and will now have annual check-ups going forward.  At my local hospital it's usual to have annual mammograms up to 5 years post-diagnosis. 

Protocols do vary according to locality and individual cases but, at the end of the day, CT and bone scans are expensive so not normally repeated unless a patient shows symptoms which indicate scan(s) would be appropriate.   

Lucy_BCC

Hi Chrissy and SML

You may both find some of the information in the 'Moving forward from breast cancer' pages helpful, here's the link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/moving-forward

Take care
Lucy BCC

chrissy16

Hi

I was diagnosed inFebruary 2011. I amnow nearly four years down the line. Ii have had no check ups, albeit mammograms to check if there is anything sinister. I was only thinking this the other day.

SML1903

Follow up scans and appointments

Hi

I know no one wants to think about the cancer coming back and I am sorry to bring it up but it worries me. How will I know if it comes back or has spread to another part of my body. My cancer had spread to my lymph nodes under my arm and I had them removed along with the primary tumour but what if it has spread through my lymphatic system to other parts how would I or the drs know. Do we get regular scans when we have our 6 monthly follow ups?