Follow up treatment

Hi ladies,

After 7 years I have just been diagnosed with multiple mets,After my op amd reconn I was on aromasin for 6 years, no problems was well througout treatment, .I had regular follow up appointments with onc and breast care surgeon. During this time I never had one blood test or one scan . I am now beginning to wonder if I was offered  these investigations  would my mets have been discovered sooner ???.  has anyone else  had the same follow up care , i know all oncs  have different views on these tests and the worth  ,but I am beginning  to feel as if  I was let down a little 

take care  all xx

Hi Truffle,

If it’s any consolation, I have never had a scan, and only had blood tests for the chemo.  I am now nine years on, and was discharged after five years.  I am still taking tamoxifen, but no follow up anymore.

The follow up appointments I had for the first few years pretty much consisted of the onc asking me if I felt OK, then having a bit of a feel for enlarged lymph nodes etc, and that was it.

I am almost five years on and will see the consultant at my last and fifth follow up. I saw a consultant year one and two - exam of breast and lymph. Year three and four just mamogram. I have never seen an oncologist.

I have often wondered why we are not given any blood tests at follow up.

I found out at diagnosis  that initially an MRI scan is given at my hospital to women with lobular cancer but not ductal.

I understand how you feel.