Following Surgery

Hi to everyone
I am new to all of this so please bear with me!
I was diagnosed on 06/08/12 following a mammogram (my PCT has fortunately extended their screening to include women over 47) at the age of 48.
The lump was small and no Lymph node in the Ultrasound and in right breast only therfore I had a WLE and SNB on 29/08/12 as a day patient. This will be followed, if nothing changes following the testing of the removed tissue, by Radiotherapy and endocrine therapy as the biopsy showed ER+
Everything was fine on the day, seen the BCN 31/08/12 due to swelling which she agree was a fluid build up but said it could be left as it wasn’t a problem at the wound site. I returned 05/09/12 to have dressings removed and had some fluid removed, but not all. Since then my breast has been aching at the site of the lump, not at the wound and I think the only way it stops aching is to hold it which isn’t ideal. Managing the excercises without pain just an ache.
Off to see the surgeon on Tuesday 11/9/12 to discuss the results of the tests on the tissue removed so will probably leave it until then and ask him if its worth draining some more fluid.
Been great to read some very inspiring stories on the forum which will hopefully help me on my journey, which I have established has actually only just begun.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Dear salonen

Welcome to the forum. I am pleased to hear that you have found it helpful to read other members stories and I hope you will continue to find support on here.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Thanks for your info salonen13, I’m having my lumpectomy and snb on the 17th so it’s interesting to read your post. I will also have same follow up treatment as long as the results from op are as expected fingers crossed. Hope your recovering well it must be good to get started on your treatment x

salonen13 - snap! I had WLE and 3 nodes removed from right breast on 29/08. Initial frozen section biopsy on the nodes was clear, but will get full results later. Was supposed to get my results last Thursday, but the lab has been ‘too busy’, so I will get them on 11/09. Obviously hoping that they will all be clear. Am expecting rads but don’t have a date for rad planning yet.

I haven’t had a problem with fluid as yet. The two scars are about 4-5" long and seem to be healing reasonably well - a bit lumpy but I guess that will go down eventually. The pain has been manageable - more of a discomfort really. Strangely most of the soreness seems to be in my armpit - away from the site of the scars. I usually sleep on my right side, so found it difficult to sleep sitting up initially and then on my left side - it just didn’t feel right. However, managed to sleep on the right again a couple of nights ago with the help of a pillow to stop my left arm pressing down too much. I have a lovely big yellow bruise, and the dimpling, which disappeared after chemo, has returned (originally I had a 5cm lump which shrank to practically nothing with the chemo), so I shall be asking the surgeon about that when I get the results. I guess your aching may be due to the excess fluid.

i’m trying to remember to do the exercises, but as my arm and shoulder mobility feel fine at the moment, I tend to forget. I do have a physio appointment in October to check things over.

I’m going stir crazy at the moment as haven’t been driving and can’t walk far due to chemo side-effects. Friends have been good in giving me lifts for essential trips, but I miss my freedom to go out whenever I feel like it! Plan to drive again by Tuesday hopefully, but have a puncture to sort out first.

Hope all goes well for you - fingers crossed for clear results.

Sara

Hi salonen
I was dx in May with an 8mm tumor and like you had WLE and SNB and 3 other nodes removed…thankfully nodes were clear and had 15 rounds of rads.I have been finished treatment for 1 month now and on Tamoxifen for 5 years.As I read your post I could relate to everyhting you said having an aching and still do now sometimes…I didn’t have any fluid problems so it could be just a normal ache after surgery …still find myself holding my boob now for no reason really just a habbit…It’s not a good look in Asda!! I did my excercises and this helped so much so keep it up!!I hope this has helped a little.I would like to wish you all the very best and let us know how its going :slight_smile:
Take Care
Kate x

Thanks for all of the replies, off to see the consultant tomorrow for the results and to ask lots of questions ( I work as a Business Analyst so hard to break a habit he he )
I am trying not to hold my boob too much because like Kate I will also end up walking round Asda holding it! I am doing the excercises as I know they will help.

Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone on what for me feels like some kind of mystery tour (you know where you would like the end to be but you are not sure how you are going to get there or if indeed what you see as the last stop on the journey is actually the end of it)
My family have all been amazing especially my lovely husband who would happily let me sit back and do everything for me (I have explained that I have not lost the use of any limbs at all and I am more than capable but I realise that I have been through several ops (no other cancer related) in the last few years and he just thinks he is being helpful)
I have started to get my independence back somewhat since his return to work, as long as he can’t see what I have done he is okay and takes over as soon as he comes in!

If I can help anyone else along their journey just give me a shout, may need to be a loud shout though I am a little deaf!

Karen

Well been to see the surgeon this morning and he said that all of the tumour has been removed with a clear margin, ER+ and HER- Grade 2 Cancer which is upgrade from 1 at the biopsy.
Got my prescription for Letrozole and now awaiting a bone scan for the density check and an appointment to sort out the radiotherapy.
Got some fluid drained which helps enormously with the aching boob, he did explain that due to how he had removed the tumour it will be affecting the chest muscle a little more than normal so at least I know what is causing it and its nothing else to concern myself with. They did say that it is likely to need drained a few times and again at least I know what to expect, so no nasty/unexpected suprises.
I am keeping up with the excercises Kate, which after the draining are much easier!
Valleygirl, not long until 17th, let us know how you get on.

Karen

Hi Karen
thats good news you must feel better now you know what your dealing with and can sort a treatment plan.Glad your more comfortable and like you say half of feeling better is knowing what to expect.Good for the excercies!! Another hurdle done!!
Good Luck
Katex

Hi I am week 4 after surgery. I seem to be lucky I seem to be getting over it quite quickly. I drove week Sunday of week 2 nearly 3 weeks. Movement quite good kept doing exercises it is important. It was good to complete tasks in week one and the progress from week to week that kept me going. After surgery I would defo suggest back fastened sports bra. Big baggy nightdress u can step in to. Baby wipes to clean arm pit and roll on. I used toilet roll to soak up any water just incase it dripped on. Buy one of the v memory foam pillows and build up for nite sleeping and another pillow at side so u can lean the bottom of ur arm easier withlymph node scar. Take pain killers before exercise and keep taking. Week one check I had some liquid taken out which made it easier no pain. Nipple seem to be more sensitive and shooting pain becomes less. My scar has a little hardness but I was told I can massage and put bio oil on after 6 weeks.
Next step chemo :frowning:

Thanks Kate
As you say knowing what to expect is good, at least I can prepare for what is going to happen and get everyone else ready for it!

hi all. I’m new to the forum but have been reading posts since dx in Aug -IDC, grade 2 involving nipple. I too had WLE , excision nipple complex and snb - nodes x 3 neg. Awaiting date to start 15 rads and taking letrozole. I’m 5 weeks post surgery and although not experiencing pain have very lumpy wound which is aching and red and bit warm to touch. BCN says may be heamatoma due to amount of tissue removed and recommended massage when in shower. Great to read about experiences from everyone going through treatment.

i know this is quite basic but whens best to take dressings and steri strips of? i had lumpectomy and snb on the 17th all went straightforward(hadnt realised about blue pee!!!) im cleaning site of wound regularly and it looks ok but very sore and tender ofcourse. oh and up and down with the old emotions…relief to get one part over with but now waiting for results of op I guess doesnt help…suppose its normal yeah???

hi im due to go in on friday for my lumpectomy and im glad ive found this site as im getting answers to questions i forgot to ask. im not to nervous about the op its the what comes next that worries me most.

It’s just all the waiting. And their amazing in the hospital-my experience during that part of it fine-just waiting for results of that now! Oh and this site is amazing too!

hi do you only have chemo if it reaches your lymph nodes, so if they are clear just srgery and radiotherapy?

I think chemotherapy is recommended not only if the cancer has reached lymph nodes but also if it is an invasive type and the woman is premenopausal. Also sometimes if it is HER2+

Hi Jellymould - I had WLE on the 4th September, they took out 2 lymph nodes which were clear. I am grade 2 (invasive) but was told I don’t need to have chemo just radiotherapy and Tamoxifan for 5 years - Im premenopausal too and HER2-

Hi Valleygirl - how are you doing? My BCN took the dressings off when I went for a wound check a week after my op. She said it was best to let the air get to the wound. I did find myself holding my clothes away from my skin at times but I am 3 weeks post op now and it it only a little bit sore still.

Kaz x

thanks kazzy

Hi Jellymould
it depends on a number of things, not just lymph node involvement, I had a grade 2 node negative 19mm tumour and was advised I was borderline for chemo due to my age (44) I made the decision to go with it and have now finished all treatment apart from Tamoxifen. I also know older ladies with grade 3 tumours but clear nodes who have also had chemo, also as Supertrouper says, if you’re HER2+ you will need chemo and herceptin regardless of grade or node involvement.
Love Lydia x

im 40 in dec. what is HER2+