Found 2 lumps, went to the doctor yesterday. Really scared.

On Sunday whilst washing myself I found a large mass in my right breast nearly 2 and a half inches long, and in my armpit area another smaller lump, more like a sore spot.
I’m absolutely terrified and only went to the doctors yesterday, who has refered me to the breast clinic.

Today I am emotionally a wreck, (my friend is writing this for me) I feel tearful and terrified. Which is out of my character for me. I just can’t get a grip on myself. I am menopausal which adds to my discomfort. I just want to be able to get a handle on things, feel in control again.

For a mass that size I would have thought I would have seen it growing. I check myself regularly so I would have thought it would have been evident a few weeks ago.

Has anyone experienced similar? How can I get my thinking turned round?

Thank you.

Hi Lexxie

I am so sorry you are having to go through this worrying time. You have done the right thing by getting your lumps checked out and hopefully your clinic appointment will come soon. As many people on this site will tell you waiting is the hardest thing and you will need to find ways to fill your time before your app. I hope you have a good support network to help you through. Please use the forum to ask questions and even just to express how you are feeling. Remember most lumps turn out to be benign and we get a lot of good news on this site. Please be kind to yourself. Take care dx

Thank’s Midge. I’m finding it really difficult to handle. Can’t believe that I am falling apart before I even know what the problrm is. Feel like I am paralized by fear and full of dread. My Mum died of bc at 46 so I thought I would handle myself with a lot more control and certainlly be a lot stronger. Have hardly been able to move off of the sette for two days! How long will it be before I pull myself together? Thank’s for listening

Hi Lexxie

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure you’ll find them a helpful and supportive place.

The waiting for appointments is very difficult and worrying. If you feel it might help to talk, do give our Helpline a call, they’re great listeners and you can offload some of your fears to them if need to.

The number is 0808 800 6000, they’re open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 on Saturdays.

Kind regards.

Louise
Facilitator

Hi Lexxie

Sorry you are feeling so upset. This is perfectly understandable given the circumstances. Lots of ladies on this site have said they felt this way so you are in good company.

I am waiting for an appointment at the moment, so I know what you are going through. Keeping busy has been the key for me. I had a couple of days when I felt terrible and couldn’t stop crying, I just made myself feel worse. I have been decorating my house for the past couple of weeks and taking my dogs out for long walks. At night if I can’t sleep, I find reading a good book helps.

The waiting and not knowing is awful. Please try and remember lots of lumps and bumps turn out to be nothing at all.

Love and hugs
Holly

Hi Holly
Thank’s for your comment. I admire you for being able to keep yourself busy. I Hope all your worries turn out to be nothing. I used to think I was a strong person, I’ve been through a lot in life, but this has brought me to my knees. I feel physically paralized and a mental wreck. I know there are so many people out there worse off, but I can’t help it and I can’t get around to thinking any positive thoughts. I can usually lose myself in a book but can’t concentrate at the moment. Unlike so many I have an appointment in a weeks time, which is super quick, but in a way I am dreading that, just in case. Do you feel that way?
I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you have loved ones near you.

Lexxie so sorry to hear that you are going through this worry and really hope it turns out to be one of the 9/10 lumps seen at clinic that turn out to be a cyst or other benign lump…

I had to have lots of scans and tests when I was first diagnosed as my type of cancer is very aggressive… it was a really scary time and totally remember how you are feeling… I used Bach rescue remedy drops and it really did help me and I can not recommend them enough…

Do keep posting as it really does help to let off steam…

Theresa x

Hi Lexxie
I think that you should allow yourself to have these feelings as they are natural. I was diagnosed with BC yesterday but the worst part was waiting for the results. Before the appointment I was physically sick and literally shaking with fear. Now I know the worse I feel much calmer and know where I stand.
Be kind to yourself and let these feelings out. It’s OK to be scared - don’t try to pull yourself together.
Best of luck to you.

As Theresa said , most lumps 80% turn out to be non cancerous , i hope that yours turns out to be one of them .
We do all know what you´re going through as we´ve all been there , it´s a terrible frightening time waiting for appointments and not knowing what if anything you are facing .
Being normally strong will help you , but we all fall apart at times cos we´re only human .
Really hoping you get good news soon .
Kris

Hi Lexxie

I’m so sorry you have to go through this. As the other ladies have said, waiting for appointments and test results is by far the hardest part, so I’m not suprised you’re feeling so wretched. This site is great for support and advice. However, I stongly recommend you don’t go trawling through all the threads; I did this and scared the bejesus out of myself!

Take care

Julia xx

Thank’s so much everyone. I woke up today determined to be stronger,but am not getting on very well! My poor husband who sufferes from deep,dark depressions, has gone totally silent on me. I wanted desperatlly not to tell him about this situation untill I knew there was definatlly something wrong, but I couldn’t manage it and that’s made me feel selfish as well. We had a very dear friend die two years ago from lung cancer and I know that is still fresh in our minds which doesen’t help.
Thank’s again for your good wishes and reassurance. xxxxx

Hi Lexxie

Im sorry to hear that youve found lumps, its very scary…but im so glad youve been quick of the mark to see your gp, and get a referral to the breast clinic.

Theres so many amazing treatments out there now, hopefully you wont need any of them, i hope your husband will come round and be there for you…i dont think you were selfish in tellin him, so dont feel bad, im sure he would want to know what was up with his wife and be there for you.

take care x

Hi Lexxie

Yes I felt terrible! I think it is normal to feel afraid, I still do. Each day that passes without my appointment seems longer than the day before. I had my mammogram nearly four weeks ago and I am still waiting for an appointment for an ultrasound. Not good I think they may have forgotten about me…

When my appointment for the mammogram arrived I felt terrified, I cried when I was having it done. I also got into a state when I had to see the consultant, blubbing like a baby! Don’t feel as if you have to behave a certain way, keep telling yourself the way you feel is normal, cry as often as you like. You don’t have to be strong.

I am dreading going back to the hospital, each time I go I just want to run back out of the door. Try not to worry,

Love and hugs
Holly xx