Found a lump...

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have been reading some of the posts and decided it was time to post, myself!

I thought I found a lump in my right breast about 3 months ago. I couldn’t always find it , and I couldn’t get my husband to find it so I decided to monitor it for a while. I had read online that some lumps can be hormonal so I decided it would be sensible to wait for a month, so I could tell if it changed over my cycle. I gradually got better at finding it and got used to it. A couple of days ago I realised that it was my 3rd period, and the lump is easy to find and doesn’t change with my cycle so I really needed to go to the doctor. The lump is (i think, with a very rough measure!) 3cm, on the arm side, and not just under the skin. It doesn’t hurt, thankfully! It isn’t squishy. 

I went to the GP yesterday morning and he did quite a thorough investigation and has referred me to the Breast Clinic. He said that it wasn’t joined to the muscle, but I don’t know if that is good or not! He says if I haven’t got an appointment by tomorrow I need to call him. 

I am quite scared. I think if it were a cyst, it would have shrunk after 3 months? I have only had a day and a bit of waiting and I think I have gone through more emotions than I have in my entire life!

I hope your journies are going well.

Hi rachel

Sorry you’re going through this. Don’t panic (easier said than done I know!)

Good gps will want to get you to a climic fast so its not reflection on the lump but simply they are a good gp. I saw mine on a friday aNd I had a call from the clinic on the monday and had an appointment for the following monday. Ita easy to start thinking speed=bad news but really its speed=good service.

The waiting is hard but make sure you get that call today. I felt better when I had appointment and then going for tests because although you don’t know the results yet you know you’re deaLing with it head on.

Don’t assume with lumps and bumps or you’ll go mad. I’ve done the same. Keep touching it and asking myself does it hurt? Move? Bigger? Smaller?

There’s no way to know like the clinic will. You’ve done the best thing. Keep us postes how you get on.xxx

Sorry. Assumed your name is rachel but after looking again that isn’t quite right! Think I better get to an optician too!!! X

Hi Rachie1752 and welcome to the BCC forums
I am sorry to read that you have this worry, our helpliners are on hand with support for you so please feel free to ring to talk things through, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to the BCC information about referral to the breast clinic which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/referral-breast-clinic

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Rach,
I’m awaiting an appointment at the BCC next week and I keep feeling for my lump to see if it’s changed at all.
I presume that your appointment was this Wednesday (2 days ago), so wondered how things went?
I hope you’re doing okay. X

I’m so relieved for you that everything looks benign, but can understand your emotions. It’s hard not to think about the likelihood of malignancy and I think any breast scare seems to take over your mind until you have results. I can empathise with your flatness but am glad you’re feeling better now. Fingers crossed the biopsy results will confirm everything. x