Found lump, doctor referred me to breast clinic

Hi,
a newbie here, I did try to post before, I’m not sure if my post has to be moderated, maybe, and I’m double posting.
Anyway, I found a lump on Thursday, I was getting out of the bath, and felt a pulling pain in my left boob. When I felt it I felt a lump and hardening. Naturally I went into a blind panic, but fortunately got an appointment the next day for my doctors surgery (can’t praise them enough).

The doctor seemed pretty thorough and found the area I was concerned about. She said straight away she’d refer me. It was the way she said it though “It may NOT be breast cancer”. Now I know they can’t give false hope, but I was thinking has she noticed something else?
So now I’m just waiting for the referral, hoping it will be sooner rather than later, because every day is dragging, and I’m reading far too much on google.
Fortunately the breast cancer stories I know personally have happy outcomes, both my mother in law and my husband’s cousin have come out the other side, and there is no history of it in my own family. But then the doctor said it isn’t necessarily hereditary.
I’m very emotional at the moment, but I’m 34 in January and have a gorgeous husband and 3 wonderful boys, the oldest being only 10. If it is breast cancer, then what are they going to have to go through over the next few months?
But mostly, at the moment, it’s the waiting, the going through worst case scenarios.

Thank you for reading. I feel like a fraud as I haven’t even had a mammogram yet, or ultrasound, I just have lumps and thickness, and of course, the more I feel my boob now, the more lumps I seem to feel.

Miranda

I’ve noticed also that my boob with the lump has shrunk. Did anyone notice their boob shrink as a sign, or could it be something completely harmless. It’s always been a bit smaller, like a cup size smaller than the other boob, but noe it’s 2 or 3 cup sizes smaller.
And it’s tingling

So sorry you have had to join us! All I can offer is virtual support as I have no idea about your condition.

Hope someone comes along soon who can offer more!

HUGS and Best Wishes

Liz x

Thank you liz.
It’s terrifying, isn’t it? The more I look, the more convinced I am, and the harder the waiting feels.
I don’t know what answers I expect really, I know nothing is certain until the tests are done, but i guess is there anyone who’s boob did shrink, and that was a significant symptom along with lumps?

Funmum3
My breast (now mastectomy (MX)) shrunk significantly and I also had a ‘hardening tissue’ area. I had pain in that breast too.
It is really hard to not panic, but please try to remember that something like 9 out of 10 presentations at the breast clinic turn out to be benign.
But yes, it is undeniably very very frightening but do try to take things a step at at a time if you can. If you want to know more about my diagnosis/symptoms I am happy for you to PM me. Otherwise, please remember there are a lot of lovely ladies who will help and support you as you go through this. Any question you want to ask will be answered by someone on here.

Best Wishes
WSx

Thank you wintersocks, I’ve pm’ed you

Well, still no letter or phonecall from clinic. I know it was the weekend, so I’m probably at the bottom of a pile. But this waiting is horrible.
How long did people wait between drs appt and referral to clinic?

Hi,
I waited about 7 days between doctors and getting the phone call for an appointment which was 3 days after that.
The waiting is awful and you can’t think of nothing else, but feel free to rant as most of us are in the same boat.
Take care xx

Thank you shelly.
I work at my kids school a bit, so at least they take my mind off it for some of the day. But I can’t help constantly checking, and wondering if I’m imagining it or if there’s something more than I can see. And then stupidly I read up about all the cancers, and start making up a whole host of “what if’s”!
Reading the forums here is inspirational, such strong ladies and men, and here am I just waiting for an appointment, and in no place to complain or panic

Yes! The pain and the hardening! But then I think, am I imagining the hardening, is it really different to the other side?

Hi,
Try not to google as you’ll find lots of worst case situations, stay on here and everyone will support you or phone the helpline, if you feel the need to chat with someone.
I know I find myself also constantly checking as I have no lump just hardening and pain, it’s strange.
Take carex

hi, i went to doctors on a thurs got letter for hospital on sat and appointment was for the tues so very quick, mine did turn out to be breast cancer, but they treating it with chemo first having my 3rd round on monday next week so far not to bad saw consultant before 2nd round and she had a feel of lumps and said that they had shunk abit so it working.
please don’t google as you only find the worst stories never any with good outcomes, read a post on here yesterday from a lady who is 30 years past dx and treatment. i know its hard but try not to stress to much
big hugs xx
suzee

Thank you suzee xxx That’s very quick, hopefully letter will be here in next couple of days then.
I will stop googling and wait and see what the outcome is. Google, the double edged sword. Hugs to you, glad it is working. xxx

Hey there i am exactly the same. Im 33 and found a thickeneing on the top of my breast, so i thought id go to the doctors which i did on Monday. I was laughing with the doctor saying i thought i was being a bit over the top worrying. Then after her examination the mood changed with her and she said get changed and we will have a little chat. She said there is somthing there and i need to refer you asap. I am a quivering wreck to say the least. I keep feeling my boob to see what it is because where i showed her id felt the differnce is not where she kept feeling and i have examined where she kept feeling and can feel like a marble. Im so scared i too have 3 children and can not begin to imagine who will look after themif i am ill. I am hoping and preying that this is just a cyst and so glad i have found you and this wesite so i can talk to someone. I hope you are ok and hope you dont mind talking to me.
Lucie

Hi lucieloo1 and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences you have here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your concerns, lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Worried’ page where you will find a publication about what to expect at your breast clinic appointment which I hope you will find useful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

Take care

Lucy

Hugs lucie. xxxx
The waiting game is horrid. Still no letter for me today. Maybe tomorrow. xxx

Hi there,I’m also new to all of this ;).I found a lump about 6 weeks ago in my breast,visited the doctor to have it checked out and se thought it was realted to shaving ? and menstual cycle.I accepted that and said Id return if it remained or changed in any way. Ive been worried sick now for the past weeks and returned to the doctor this week.
She said that she would refer me to a clinic also, but like Funmum3 it was the urgency in her voice that worried me.
Now i notice that my breast has dropped a little and the lump is more noticeable ;( to me.
The waiting is awful as I’m searching all the sites for symptoms and diagnosis ;( and worrying my self sick.
I was looking forward to this Christmas but have this hanging over my head is not helping my cheeriness.

Hello babybaby

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

Maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Lucie and babybaby,
We all seem to be in the same boat, I am still waiting on ultrasound appointment, as been referred by GP.
Don’t GOOGLE, it just comes up with worse case situations, stick to this website and chat room, as the woman on here are great support don’t know what I would of done without them for the past month or so.
Mine is thickening in right boob and nipple changes I am 33 with a young child, the waiting is so horrible and it seems to go on forever, but keep busy with kids or things you like doing. I like baking so have baked 2 xmas cakes, 2x puddings and made mincemeat just to keep busy when at home and mind goes into overdrive!
Feel free to Pm me or chat on here
Hugs to all todayxxx

Hi babybaby, big hugs to you.
Well finally a letter came for an appointment Tuesday 27th. Crap. Long long wait still. But at least it’s an appointment.