Friends for mutual support wanted

Hello all. I was diagnoised on 22nd Oct after being referred the week earlier from my doctor after going with suspious lump. I am 47 but Mum had it 17 years ago so awareness month made me think about it and check. They did needle biopsy and mamagram and told me later that afternoon. Had a biopsy during half term (I am a teacher) and had it confirmed it was invacive lobular stage 2. Last Friday I had a sentinal lobe biopsy which I am now waiting for the results from. I have been off work since that operation and keeping my self busy on line shopping to get everything organised for Christmas as I am due to go for a mastectomy and reconstruction on 10th Dec but find waiting for the test results-the hardest part. Mum, family and friends have all been really supportive but wanted to make contact with ladies of my age who feel the same for mutal support even though Mum has gone through it I find it hard to talk to her about it sometimes as I am know she is so worried about me. Kind Regards Heth.

Hello Heth
Welcome to the ‘club’ that no one really wants to join - but in the eventuality that bestows itself upon us, you probably couldn’t have joined a nicer group of people that post here:)
I was diagnosed on the 26th Oct with 2cm invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3, had 2 lumpectomy’s (1 extra because BS did not get safety margin 1st time) + 4 node removal (all clear), am due to commence Radiotherapy around Xmas and will have Tamoxifen for 5 years. I am 44.
So sorry that you are ‘following’ in Mum’s footsteps so to speak - you will gain an lot of support posting here and it doesn’t appear to matter what time of the day or night there is always someone about to offer a kind word when you may be at your lowest.
Sending you a big hug Leigh x

Hi Heth,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums. You’ve come to the right place for support, the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge between them and are only too happy to share it.

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s Resource Pack which you may find useful whilst you are undergoing this journey. The Resource Pack is an A5 binder full of helpful info. The pack is free and will be posted out to you if you request one, just follow the link.

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/82/

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi,
I’m a bit younger (29) but a teacher too, there’s quite a few of us on here. I have grade 3 IDC and DCIS, had a mastectomy 3 weeks ago following a lumpectomy and then margins but nothing was clear still hence the mx. Had SNB then axillary node clearance but thankfully only 3 nodes involved. Had an implant put in and gradually filling it up. Had my first fill yesterday which was fine once my doc had got access to my port to do it, as it had twisted itself round making it incredibly hard to get into. Another few to go. On Monday I have my chemo appointment and hope to start treatment in the next week or two.

I’ve been off work since my first op back in September, infact I went in for 2 days inset and that’s it. Haven’t met any of my kids yet as it was a new school for me. Thankfully they allowed continuation of service from my last job so I get paid still.

I’m often on here if you just fancy a chat/rant/opinion on any internet shopping, which I am a fan of myself!!
Em x

Hi
My story is different, but I can offer support. I am a teacher - year 1. I was diagnosed in April with DCIS, I hd a mastectomy in June. i am now back in work. I love internet shopping too. If I can be of any help to you - I will as I use this web site regulary.
Good luck. I am thinking of you.
Liz

Hi Heth, I am 42, two kids and married, not a teacher!!! I was diagnosed in May so a bit earlier in the year. I have Grade 2, Invasive Ductal Sarcoma, HER2+, i have had 6 sessions of chemo with FEC/T and Docetaxol, had a double mx in October and have just started radiotherapy will have third one tomorrow. Its horrible to follow in parents footsteps, my father had pancreatic cancer six years ago, (died December 4th), and remember when i was told i needed chemo i saw what it had done to him, thankfully my experience was very different other than the first cycle (told me different times to take my sickness tablets and was sick for 8 hours non-stop!! Chemo really sorted out the tumour it shrunk considerably! Hope you are doing okay…let me know if there is anything i can do to help…you will find a lot of help on these forums…Karen xx

I have just read my post and i have aged myself, its because if feel 62 most of the time…I am actually 41 and will be 42 in March!!! Chemo brain still has an effect! Karen xx

Hello All Thank you for the support and positive comments. I am still waiting for the results of my SNB and keep waking in the night and not getting back to sleep once I start thinking about it again. It has been over a week now and the top of my arm is still really numb which I wasn’t expecting.Sorry to moan but I am trying not to moan at home as I know I am tired and don’t want to be grumpy. Heth x

Hi Heth

Hope you are doing okay - the numbness at the top of your arm may be with you for a little while. It took about 2 -3 weeks for mine to diminish and I now have all feeling back in the arm albeit a bit sore as I have cording which the physio’s have given me some extra exercises to do to ‘stretch’ the nodes and ligament.
The waking at night is a common thing so dont worry - we all do it and certainly do not apologise for having a moan here - it helps to have somewhere to vent off whilst we ‘hide’ our true feelings from those indoors:).
Biggles (Karen) Hope all’s well with you. My sound off on my pm to you the other day I apologise for but I thought your decision to stay in dressing gown was perfect so I emanated it yesterday, turned off the phone (mother driving me insane!) tucked into a raspberry cheesecake and it cheered me up somewhat!!:slight_smile: I’ll deal with the weight gain some other time once this is all over.
I am awaiting the results of my 2nd WLE this friday - Karen I will let you know how it goes, just praying they got it all this time and Rads or chemo if thats whats needed can commence asap.
Stay positive all - and when it becomes too much allow a wallow we are entitled to it. Love & Big Hugs Leigh