Well, it could have been worse. Strangely I feel almost euphoric now the waiting is over. I have stage one Ductal Invasive cancer, 2 hot spots, and will have an MRI to find if there are any linking nasties. Op target date is 23rd Dec. I'm happy that it's being dealt with and that I just have to follow the plan as it unfolds.
As everyone says, waiting is horrendous. Life is on hold, in fact more than that- my future is out of my control, it is dependant on what some lab technician comes up with. I never felt this scared, vulnerable and powerless in my life. I'm not disrespecting the fears of those going through treatment, but I do feel that with knowledge comes a level of power and control, if that makes sense? To be honest, nothing makes sense at the moment!
So... I gather from this that I should get a yes/no on Tuesday, then follow-up tests if necessary? I don't really care what they have to do, I can deal with that. I just need to know if I'm clear or not. Thanks for your replies x
You are absolutely correct. All units / hospitals are different and each person has different tests which probably sounds silly but it really does depend on what they find.....and i guess what they team have in mond as a treatment plan.... I had a large lump in right breast and they could tell from the ulatrasound it was more than 5cm. That meant that all nodes would be removed so they didn't biopsy my nodes.... neither did they do a ct scan..... Straight to Chemo first then mastectomy then rads.
I know all the tests feel like they are taking a long time but as one post said Cancer (even the most agressive types) doesn't grow in a few weeks so it's best that they have as many facts as possible to help you plan treatment.
Thinking of you all girls. Take Care Gilly x
Sorry to butt in here- I'm confused and hope someone can help? I had biopsies done almost 3 weeks ago, consultant said what she saw on the ultrasound was consistent with cancer, I go back on Tuesday and the letter says it may be necessary to do further "specialist x-rays". Will they wait for these to be analysed before they tell me if I have cancer or is it probable that they will be able to tell me on Tuesday? Or do they get to see what they need on these x-rays straight away? I don't know if I can stand waiting much longer for a diagnosis. 3 weeks has already been too long. It's just that I read the comment about needing CT and biopsy, then a meeting before anything is decided.
Hi, my surgeon told me that bc seems fast...and feels like its spreading all over you when you're diagnosed, but in the time between your tests and starting treatment it isnt going anywhere. He said they dont grow that fast and to try not to fret too much. even the fast ones.
He didnt have a sense of humour and was very calm. So I was convinced. Still scared witless and wanting to get on with it now.... but convinced.
They test everything to get the best plan for your mum. Then they review it as a group and agree on the best way to kick its butt. (I may have paraphrased a little there..)
Sending you love and hugs for you both. Xxx its not easy waiting, we're here waiting with you.
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. I know she will be very grateful for your strength to help her through this - I was diagnosed in August and my kids have (just about!) kept me sane.
Please don't worry too much about the CT scan - it doesn't necessarily mean that anything else is wrong and I think they are quite usual when you have been diagnosed. I had a CT and a bone scan the week I was diagnosed as my lymph nodes were affected so they wanted to check it hadn't spread further, and they were both clear and fine.
The waiting really is the worst, so at least it isn't too long until she sees the consultant. I hope everything goes well.