73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From GP to Breast Clinic to Stage 3 cancer in a week!

20 REPLIES 20
Brewster

Re: From GP to Breast Clinic to Stage 3 cancer in a week!

My HD was 1988 so 26 years ago when I was 20 x
Sharbansh

Hello ,I know how you feel I gave to breast clinic today and had biopsy done,lump in right greasy quite large,I just seem to know at the back of my mind the lump will be malignant,I would just like to get it removed ASAP so scared,I could not believe how many women were in clinic today so daunting,good luck
Shar x
hdsurvivor

Hi Brewster.

Sorry just re-read my post about my BC being picked up on mammo, I reported lump to my GP who referred me because of my medical history but he thought it was nothing to worry about as I had, had a clear mammogram the year before, I was not due another mammo for another two years, as after having annual screening because of the HD high risk for BC once you hit 50, you then go on the normal 3 yearly checks, which I could never understand as your risk increases over time!. I think they ought to review that policy! Anyway two weeks later I have mammo, ultrasound and the radiologist had a puzzled and worried look on his face and said that the lump had been on the previous 2 or 3 mammograms, but it was growing very slowly, he took biopsy as a precaution because of my history, but he thought it was nothing to worry about as the lump was smoth and round, all the signs of benign apparently! So yes I am so very lucky to have got diagnosed when I did.

I am so sorry that you are having to face chemo for a second time, and I realise just how fortunate that I am as I haven't had chemo for either of my cancers. Do you mind me asking what year you had the HD? Mine was 29 years ago.
Brewster

Hi Mrs Richy

Good to be here with other folk. Am so terrified. Have lymph node biopsies next Monday and praying for clear nodes or as good as. Having line in wednesday and start chemo on nov 7th so we can keep each other positive and moving along ! Having taxol and carboplatin first and then EC. What about you? Xx
Brewster

Hi there. Wow you were lucky to get picked up, as I was. Can't believe I have to go through chemo again and this lot is much more toxic.mhaving chemo first then bilateral . I think there are more of us post HD than first thought. I know now that at least50% are getting BC and they are moving towards prophylactic mastectomys but we both missed that boat. Xx
hdsurvivor

Hi Brewster,

I also have had radiotherapy for lymphoma (Hodgkins) in my twenties which caused my breast cancer, I was hormone positive for both ER & PR. I had a bilateral masectomy last month, but fortunately I do not need chemo as non invasive and nodes clear. There is another lady on here that is also a lymphoma survivor now having to deal with this. Mine was picked up on mammogram, I reported the lump to GP and got referred, apart from a 11mm papillary tumour, they also found a 70mm area of DCIS that did not show up on mammogram, so I guess I am really lucky that I found it.
Good luck with your oncology appointment today xx
Gaunts

Hi Guys, it is a strange kind of comfort to know others are going through all this too! I have my appointment for my mastectomy on 30th October and another scan to check lymph nodes again because although I have a 6cm lump they is no indication of it spreading into my lymph nodes yet. Getting a bit stressed now trying to sort out everything before I go in and trying to arm myself with as much info as I can. Big hugs to everyone going through this, we can stick together x

Mrsrichy

Hi Brewster I'm also triple negative stage 2 grade 3. I've had Lumpectomy and axillary node clearance with 1 out of 9 nodes positive and a clear margin. Due to start chemo beginning of November. I hope all goes well today and you can get your treatment plan started. I'm trying to find my way around the forum, being triple negative there doesn't seem to be as much activity or info so if you would like we can keep each other updated. Take care x
Lucy_BCC

Hi Silverflute and Brewster, welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you will find here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so do feel free to call to talk any concerns or queries over

You may find the following 'Just diagnosed' Information and support from BCC helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Brewster

Just wanted to introduce myself here as also newly diagnosed. Mammogram end of July and it's taken u til now to get core biopsies and diagnosis. It am grade 2 triple negative . Need chemo and surgery but can't have radiotherapy as I had this for lymphoma in my twenties (which ironically has caused this)
Seeing oncologist today and I think plan is chemo first and then surgery xx
Silverflute

Hello, Sorry guys to hear you are going through this
It is a very surreal time, stomach in knots whilst trying to carry on normally!

I found a lump 2 weeks ago went to GP they thought it was a cyst but sent me for hospital appointment. Examined initially by the dr who said she thought it was a cyst but after the mammogram that all changed.
I had numerous core biopsies and told there and then I am looking at mastectomy chemo and radiotherapy.

I work for an agency so if i don't work i don't get paid which is a worry.

I have my official appointment for results tomorrow i will take my sister in law as my husband doesn't cope well with this type of thing.

All a bit scary but will have to take things bit by bit. Today I am off painting the stables which will help keep my mind off things. I keep coming here to read a bit then it gets too much and I have to go and do something else!

We can do this xx
Gaunts

Hi sarah jane. I got your private msg but it still will not let me reply. It sends me a msg to say you do not have settings to accept priv messages which is odd. I dont want you to think im ignoring you lady x
Sarahjane71

Guants that sounds like a good plan we can support each other share stories experiences and seek help advice from other ladies on here has really helped me today so many of us out there and nice to talk to someone who really understands the feelings and emotions xx let me know how you get on am here to chat anytime xx
Gaunts

Sarahjane I understand exactly how you feel. I also have to have another scan too. Lets keep in touch if that's ok. We are both at the same stage we can keep each other going x.
Sarahjane71

Hi Jo thank you for links and hope to find support and tips from this forum x
Jo_BCC

Hi SarahJane71

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below the link to a couple of BCC's publications you might find helpful.  also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone in confidence.  They're here to support you through this.  The helpline is open today, Saturday between 10am and 2pm (weekdays 9-5) give them a call.  0808 800 6000

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Gaunts

Thanks seabreeze. I have another appointment with breast cancer nurse next week and another scan to double check my lymph nodes again because as of yet they are still clear thank goodness. So I will get more chance to ask a few more questions. Thanks for your reply its good to know people are ou there x
Sarahjane71

Hi guants know exactly how you feel the same has happened to me today! Chemo radio and mastectomy all in one hit finding it hard to take it all in! Also have to hv ct scan yet to ensue not spread 😞 Totally selfish but think loose hair and boobs still I know these are cosmetic and to get rid if the cancer is no price to pay but what a shock not really taken it in totally feel sick ! Good luck there with you
Seabreeze

Hi Gaunts,
No wonder your head is spinning, it's a lot to take in.
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. The way you describe it as though it feels like its not happening to you sounds familiar - I think it's part of the whirlwind of it all. I felt like I was reeling for awhile.
Deep breathes, it's good that you have people around you and I'm sure you have much more strength than you feel like you do right now.
If you have questions you may find it helpful to make another appointment with your breast care nurse to follow up. Otherwise if there are general practical q's this website is a good place to voice them since others may be able to make helpful suggestions/comments/advice from their own experiences to help you through this- no explanation required since everyone on this website understands the emotions and concerns diagnosis brings.
I know its hard but try not to panic, women really do get through this and emerge the other side.
Seabreeze
Lucy_BCC

Hi Gaunts, I am sorry to read your post, it sounds as though you have had a distressing time

Please feel free to call our helpliners for further emotional and practical support, lines are open 10-2 tomorrow and 9-5 Mon-Fri on 0808 800 6000

You may find some of the information and further support ideas via this link to the 'Just diagnosed' pages helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Gaunts

From GP to Breast Clinic to Stage 3 cancer in a week!

I have had a whirlwind of a week. I went to see my GP last Thursday with a lump in my left breast. He referred me to breast clinic and somehow I got an appointment the very next day. Whilst a the clinic I had a mammogram and ultra sound and a core biopsy. Today I returned for my results to be told I had a 6cm tumour and that I need a full mastectomy and a million other things that I couldn't quite take in. The consultant has given me a date of 30th October for my surgery and my head is spinning. Im reading all the info the breast care nurse gave me but everything is happening so fast. Everyone around me is upset and I'm just a bit numb like it isn't really happening to me.