From initial Doctor's appointment to the test - how long did you wait?

Hi, I found a lump and was told by the doctor that he was sending me for a day of tests at the hospital.  I was told that they try and co-ordinate all the tests and the results on one full day - but seeing some posts on here I am now sceptical about that.

My reason for finding this site and posting though - I was told it “should be within 2 weeks” but from a bit of googling I now see that yes, it should indeed be within 2 weeks because that is the government target, but that doesn’t mean it WILL be within 2 weeks in reality.

My 2 weeks is nearly up and while I was holding it together ok to begin with, I still haven’t heard so the uncertainty is exasserbating the worry and stress.  If I haven’t heard when I hit the 2 week mark I will chase them up but I was hoping you guys could give me an indication of reality.

I’m sure it is diffferent by area.  I live in Berkshire. 

Can you guys help me get my expectations lined up properly so I can try and manage the emotions better?

Hello 719937

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Thanks June

Well i might have known I’d get the phone call as soon as I had posted.  Appointment day is next Wednesday which will make it 20 days between GP and tests, if that is useful to anyone else.

Full day of tests with results the same day at the Royal Berks

Hi,

I was diagnosed at the end of November 2012. I went to my GP who arranged my referral on the internet for one week after my appointment with her. I had mammogram and ultra sound scan with biopsy there and then. 2 weeks later I went for results, although from what they said at US I already knew I had bc. 3cm, grade 3 ER+/PR+/HER2-   so things went pretty smoothly for me really. I had my tests at the Nottingham Breast Institute which is based at the Nottingham City Hospital, chemotherapy at the same hospital.