Frustrated & scared

Ello all…I apologise for the length of this post, I am at my wits end and frankly frustrated & scared…

A little history first…I am 48 years old and at age 30, 34, 39 & 43 I had duct removals and at 43 I also had a lump removed & nodes removed.
The left breast acted up with bloody discharge, swelling, itchy/tingly feeling when I was 30 & 39 and my right breast followed suit when I was 34 & 43.
Family history was up until very recently pretty much unknown since I am the last family member (blodline) alive, however with the help of a friend and their internet assistance I was able to trace distant cousins and my dead sister’s ex husband who all filled in vital spaces in my knowledge.
On my mother’s side, her two older sisters died from “lady cancer” in the 1960’s.
On my dad’s side, his younger sister and mother died from unknown cancer in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
My late sister committed suicide in 1994, at the time I had no idea why. I have since discovered through talking to her ex husband that she had found a lump in her breast but was too scared to ask her GP about it until it was too late. She did eventually get help and was found to be stage 4 in bones, liver, lungs and brain…she couldn’t cope and she killed herself with an overdose.

Roll forward to about 6-8 weeks ago. My right breast was very tingly and irritated, initially I thought it was a change of washing powder but it soon turned out to be more troublesome. I started (and am still getting) heavy bloody discharge, I ache in the right shoulder down into the chest wall area, the areola has thickened and the nipple has retracted completely…the breast is also slightly larger than the left one.
I took myself off to the GP and was referred to the local breast clinic.
Appointment was today…I saw a consultant, she manipulated the breast, had both mammogrammed and the bad one ultrasounded.
Her verdict was that my breats are too dense to be certain of anything but to her the ductal area “was in some distress of unknown cause”.
I burst into tears when she told me that I needed to sit and wait to see if it cleared up on its own.
She then asked a breast cancer nurse to speak to me and I explained with the history of my own trouble…unsure diagnoses/no follow ups on any of the 4 previous surgeries…and the family history…I couldn’t handle having to wait and see. I have already had a stroke, I have COPD and arthritis and to have to wait and see if this breast problem was going to just go away was too much to bare…I have no family or support system.
I asked if it would be possible in the circumstances to have a preventative bilateral mastectomy…she said that many women in my situation ask and do get this but only after a panel has discussed it and counselling completed. I told her that I wanted it and that I could not handle any other way. She agreed that with my own history and that of my family I was a good candidate. She would talk to the consultant today with a view of discussing it at the panel meeting next week and they would write to me with their opinion and whether or not they would be willing to refer me to the oncology-psychologist for counselling.
I was upset by all this and she has suggested that I see my GP to see if she can circumvent it or pressurise the panel…the earliest GP appointment I couldget is Aug 22.

Has anyone else been through this…and has anyone got advice on how I can get quicker action, please?
Thanks

A bit of additional information…

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1996 for endometriosis and fibroids and I had my ovaries removed in 2010.

hi,

Im so sorry to hear about your situation and all the trauma youve had. Regarding the appointment can you insist on an earlier apopoinemtn ofr urgency? When I first fouund my lump the receptionist tried to give me an appointment in 10 days when I insted I nede to be seen earlier because it was a lump she gave ma an appoimtment for the next day. you havent mentioned if you actauly have a lump but can you phrase it in a way that they “get” there’s a risk of cancer? even if its not, the wait would be torturous.

Just another thought: you’ve explained a lot of events and, if you have to explain your situation over and over and it’s too much to go over. maybe you could print off the post you’ve written here. :slight_smile:

Ello gadget-girl
I could have an earlier appointment with a GP but it wouldn’t be my GP…I try and keep continuity, saves having to explain things over again (something I hate having to do)

When I saw the mammograms today, I could tell the outline of both breasts but inside, it was just completely opaque/white…I asked her how she could tell the ducts were “distressed” she replied that she was trained to see it…whatever that was sposed to mean.

I spent 6 hours at the clinic and feel far more upset that I did beforehand, almost wish they had either not found anything or found something definitive…I hate being up in the air, especially with the history from the family and my own breast op history

Hi Pagodaswan

I’m really sorry to hear of the stress and worry you are going through at the moment. Do you think your hospital’s PALs service might be able to help? They were useful for me when I needed to put pressure on my chemo unit to speed up the start of my treatment. Also for advice and a friendly ear I found the BCC helpline excellent.

Let us know you get on.

Della

Hiya,
Firstly, I am sorry you are in this situation. It’s not nice when we have to take on health professionals.
Secondly, I am amazed they only did a mammo and not an ultrasound too. You could not see my cancer in the mammogram as I had dense breast tissue.
I know you are upset reyou’re appointment. But having breasts off is a big step and I guess they really want to see you are ready and are covering all cancers. Some surgeons feel reluctant to remove a healthy breast even if there is cancer in the other.
can you get a secondI opinion? I would be tempted by that, just to see going on. I am no medic but the response you go about waiting to see what happens did not seem adequate to me. Did they confirm there was nothing else wrong with the breast?
I do hope it gets sorted soon.
Rae
X