Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Node Clearance

18 REPLIES 18
Wendi

Re: Full Node Clearance

Hi Tweasel

We are having very similar experiences. I am having my pre radiotherapy consultation on Thursday and radiotherapy , 25 sessions, in about 2 weeks time. The date has not been fixed yet. I am also having treatment to the clavicle area. Apparently it might affect your throat as a side effect . Perhaps feeling like a lump in the throat so if it happens I was told to avoid hard foods like toast. If it persists a medicine is available to ease it.
Thank you for the information about massage for five minutes twice a day.I was told to moisturise with Epaderm cream twice a day especially during radiotherapy but I was not told for how long. It is very useful to know.
I do my exercises three times a day religiously and I have full range of movement now. Yesterday I went to an aerobics class and managed quite well . Not perfectly obviously as 40 minutes of stretching above my head would have been too much for the first exercise in two months.today I am going to the gym where I will concentrate on leg exercises like the bike. I am just glad to get back to normal

Perhaps we could send each other private e-mails though I am not sure how to become friends on this site. do you know?
Anyway we will keep in touch. All the best. Love. Wendy xxxx
Tweasel

Hi Wendy. That's such great news that your bone and CT scans were clear. It must be a huge relief for you, and also that your oncologist isn't recommending chemo. I will be having radiotherapy too - I have my planning session tomorrow and I'm expecting to start next week for 15 sessions. I had a physio appointment this morning and she managed to break some of the cords that have developed under my arm. It sounds horrible but was actually fairly painless. She has told me that I need to massage my scars and the surrounding area quite firmly, for 5 mins twice a day. I probably should have been doing it sooner but nobody has mentioned it before. Have you been told to do that? I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get my arm into the correct position for the radiotherapy, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I am also having radiotherapy to the clavicle area - the consultant radiologist who I saw last week left the decision up to me, but I can't see any reason not to really. It will be great to stay in touch, hope you are feeling well xx
Wendi

Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted to have some definite news.I had the bone scan and CT scan on Wednesday 22nd , both procedures were OK, nothing to worry about, and I saw the oncologist Friday 24th. She had the results and both scans were clear😄She does not recommend chemotherapy in my case as it would only improve my chances by 2% and involve side effects so I am going to have radiotherapy in 3 to 4 weeks and then Letrozole for 10 years. I am happy at that result and especially now that I know something definite.
Are you having radiotherapy? I expect so. We will have to keep in touch and compare notes. I was sorry to hear you are having problems after your node removal with fluid build up. I hope it is sorted now. I have a slight problem with fluid in my breast but it is not severe. I suppose when they make a hole in you something has to fil it up. The cancer nurse said to wear a support bra so I am being fitted for one next Wednesday.
I am going on a Moving Forward course in October so that should be interesting. Your course sounds good too. Well that is all the news. Hope you are better now. Love Wendy. xxxx
Tweasel

Hi Wendy. Great news that your drain has been removed - 2 weeks is a long time. Waiting for results is not nice so I hope the next couple of weeks pass quickly for you. The results of my breast biopsy and lymph node removal came back clear, which was a big relief as I have already had chemo. I developed a seroma by my lymph node scar that the surgeon drained last week. It's come back again though so will be having it drained again this evening. They are very common apparently, but maybe having my drain out so soon didn't help. I should find out today whether they are recommending radiotherapy. I have booked myself onto a 'Look good, feel better' workshop as everyone says they are great. Have you attended one? There are no spaces available until October where I live, so I wish I had 'phoned sooner. Hope you are feeling well and taking it easy xx
Wendi

Hi Tweasel
Sorry for the delay in answering but I was waiting for my pathology report which I had yesterday. I have 4/10 positive nodes so I have to have a CT scan and a bone scan in the next few weeks😝I will then see the oncologist in three weeks time for the results. What are your results? I hope they were alright. I do not know if I have to have chemo yet , it all depends on the scans. I do have to have radiotherapy and hormone treatment afterwards. Otherwise I am O K . Some swelling under my arm and a feeling of tightness when I stretch but that is all . At least I have had the drain removed - it was in for a fortnight which seemed like eternity but it is gone now Hope you are well Love Wendy xxxx
Tweasel

Hi Wendy. How are you doing at the moment? Have you had your drain removed? I still have quite a bit of numbness, but I also have pins and needles in some areas which I think must be the nerves coming back to life - it's like when you have a 'dead' arm and then the feeling comes back. We had a lovely afternoon with family yesterday for my niece's 18th birthday. Today was earmarked for pottering in the garden, but it's pouring with rain here 😞 Hope you are having a nice weekend, whatever you are doing.
I am seeing my consultant for my results on Wednesday evening, so I am trying not to think about it too much until then. I have already had chemo, so if the nodes and the breast biopsy are not clear then the next step will be radiotherapy. I'm on Herceptin too until early next year. Hope you are feeling well - take care xx
Wendi

Hi Tweasel

Everyone's experience is different isn't it?The hospital did not tell me to keep my stockings on when I got home and of course I still have the drain.The fluid is getting less so I am hopeful that soon it will be removed .I also feel numb in my armpit but I think the feeling is coming back now - I.e. 6 days after surgery I am aware of the area rather than feeling pain.
Just a matter of waiting for results now- July 14th - BIG DAY. Hopeful all nodes will be clear and I can just have radiotherapy and hormone treatment.
I am fine otherwise and looking forward to going out this afternoon.

Look after yourself Love and best wishes. Wendy xxxx
Tweasel

Hi Wendy. I had my surgery on Monday evening and back home on Tuesday evening. They removed my drain a couple of hours before I came home although I was expecting to be sent home with it in. So far I am feeling fine, just sore all around my underarm area. I have a large area of numbness too which I think is temporary (hopefully) nerve damage. My BCN has told me that i have to wear the compression stockings for a minimum of 2 weeks, which is a real pain in this weather.
I hope you are still feeling well and that your drain is removed at the weekend so you can see your grandchildren on Monday. Take care xx
Wendi

Hi Tweasel
Hope you are feeling alright.I just wanted to say what a lovely day I had yesterday. I went to W.I. In the afternoon- a local magistrate spoke so we are all going to be magistrates now-I don't think! In the evening I went to a live stream performance of the opera Carmen in a local cinema My first opera ever and I really enjoyed it I felt a bit awkward with the drain but with a skirt no-one was aware of it. Not bad for five days after surgery. It was really nice to get out with friends and think of other things. Friday afternoon we are going for coffee with the organiser of a local cancer support group which should be interesting.I hope to have the drain out by this weekend so we can visit the grandchildren next Monday.If not there is always the Monday after. Thinking of you and just wanted to say things do get better. Best wishes Wendy. Xxxx
Tweasel

Thanks so much for the info Wendy. I hope you continue to feel well - don't overdo it! I will let you know how it goes xx
Wendi

Hi Tweasel
I hope all is well with you.You probably are clearer now on what will happen but to answer your questions I stayed overnight in hospital and had a general anaesthetic, my second after the lumpectomy,which was fine apart from low temperature post op It was 34 instead of 37.8 c I think that was just shock after the operation and they soon warmed me up.

I have a district nurse coming to my house every day to deal with the drain - check the fluid level and check my wound and dressings.Make sure you know how to handle the drain before you leave hospital because they did not explain fully to me what I had to do and the drain leaked a little.It was alright when the nurse came in the morning and she fixed it.

I am feeling so well that I think I have been doing too much and the drain leaked again last night My fault I am sure as I reached for something and raised my arm over my head . Silly of me. Take it easy for a while and you will be fine.

I hope you are as well as I am Do let me know. Love and best wishes Wendy
Tweasel

Hi Wendi. I am having my full node clearance surgery tomorrow so your post is very helpful and reassuring. Did you have an overnight stay in hospital? Also, do you have to go back every day to get the drain checked? Hope you are feeling ok xx
Wendi

Hi. I had a full node clearance yesterday so early days yet,and all I can say is that it was easier than a lumpectomy .Both operations are nothing to worry about though of course I did.There is a little soreness after the operation but with paracetamol and Ibuprofen I can feel no pain.A good tip from a cancer nurse for those with a drain which has to stay in for anything from 2/3 days to 2/3 weeks depending on the individual and how much fluid drains out.I think it has to be less than 40 mls on two consecutive days to have it removed. Anyway to get back to what she said. Buy a drawstring wash bag from Tesco , attach it to an old belt,and fix it round your waist.This saves you from carrying around a few feet of plastic tube.I am sorry for your unfortunate experience and feel grateful I am lucky so far. Of course I do not know how I will feel in a few weeks time and I intend doing the exercises religiously though only the basic exercises while the drain is in.I just felt I should say something positive for those who have to have full node clearance in the future.Please let me know how you are getting on and if you feel any better. Best wishes Wendi
hopefulholly

Tricia and Redbev - thank you both for your advice and support. It's reassuring to know that what I'm feeling is to expected at this stage. It's also comforting to learn how much your symptoms have improved in a relatively short period of time. Wishing you both all the best for a full recovery. Xx

hopefulholly

Hi Val, thank you for replying. It's good to know I'm not being a 'woos'. I was given choice of mastectomy or lumpectomy and radiotherapy, I opted for the latter and was lucky because my tumour was small so it was right for me and I know that many women are not as fortunate. The bugger had travelled to 1 lymph node though hence full node clearance. I'm waiting to meet oncologist to discuss next treatment but prob not chemo. I really do feel for you having a mastectomy, reconstruction and chemo and wish you wel with your treatment.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time to offer words of support. I will try to be more patient, especially as I now know it's normal to still feel like this.  Take care, sending you positive thoughts xxx

Redbev1964

I had left side skin sparing mx and lympnodes cleared in February, I have now got full movement back in my arm and shoulder. I do still sometimes get tightness under the armpit and around the reconstruction surgery areas but I found that doing the exercises have helped massively. Even though I have full movement I still do the exercises daily as I know this will help fend off the dreaded lymphodemia. Keep doing the exercises no matter how sore as they do help and it does get easier. Good luck with your recovery
Patricia11

Hi i had a lumpectomy and full node clearance on 14th April and i am still spending a huge amount of the day resting in bed because my arm swells up spontaneously.   I have only just started to drive again but i cannot travel more than short distances.

I am very restricted in what physical activities that i can do which is very frustrating but i am just taking one day at a time until i can manage more

Be patient and take time to recover as two weeks is a very short time

Tricia xxx

newey47

Yes of course it is normal at your stage.  Blimey its only a couple of weeks. I didnt drive for a good 8 weeks, although had MX and reconstruction too- did you? but swelling does take ages to go down, its still tight for me now and I had mine 10th March.  So dont be hard on yourself and expect too much fgs.

I struggles with putting socks on etc, had hair cut short ready for chemo,so was easy to do with one hand, but DO keep up the exercises.  I have full movement back now although it still feels tight under arm and around breast but can do all normal tasks without pain.  Just some pulling.

Give yourself time, its a big op, despite they calling it minor day surgery - thats a laugh.

Be kind to yourself and have patience.

Val xxxx

hopefulholly

Full Node Clearance

Apologies if this has already been covered in previous threads. 2 wks since full node clearance and I'm still in pain, sore and swollen. I'm very big busted so most of the scar is on the side of my breast going up to my underarm. The swelling is on my breast,  underarm and back, I can barely put fingers between my breast and underarm. I can't drive and struggle as a passenger because every pot hole, nee dent in the road is very painful. I'm doing the exercises but struggle with washing my hair and putting socks on.

Is this normal at this stage? I would love to hear from anyone who has had node clearance. Thank you in anticipation.