Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further findings on MRI

31 REPLIES 31
Pineapples

Re: Further findings on MRI

Hello Alex1967
Thinking of you as you come round and come to. Sending you lots of gentle hugs xxx take care
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Alex, good luck tomorrow. I am a B cup too and had immediate implant reconstruction. The result is much better than I hoped for and the surgery and recovery a lot more manageble than I thought. This time tomorrow you'll probably be sat up having your dinner. 

Ruth xx

Pinkloz83

Woohoo go Alex!

Thanks Helena xx

I'm sat here perplexed cos I kept getting told my chemo was for breast conservation, but got told today I'm 99% gonna need a mx!

Ah well, they know best I suppose! Xx
Cartwheels

Alex, good luck for tomorrow. We're all with you. Just think, this time tomorrow you'll be coming round without those pesky lumps. It feels so good to wake up knowing your treatment has started. 

Ladybowler, thank for asking, I'm recovering well. Main scar is fine, but the small one in my armpit is pulling, but bcn said it's ok. Very swollen and tender but taking the pain killers and ibuprofen. Fortunately I've now got over the constipation post op - I took the laxatives, and had lots of fluid and fruit, but it was surprisingly uncomfortable!

x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Pinkloz

And we will be beside you all the way xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Cartwheels

How are you doing post op? xx  good news on the MRi scan results xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Alex

I am sending loads of lovely positive hugs and will help you stamp on ROlf and Alf all the way to the histology. bucket

All the very best for tomorrow it has been a time for you but as you say, tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your long life, so very proud of you

Helena xxxx

Alex1967

Thanks Pink - I'm ready!!!! - tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my long life. Rolf, Alf and their siblings will be no more, off to histology they go in a bucket!
Pinkloz83

Good on ya... I'll definitely be opting for reconstruction. I also have exactly the same bc as you... 

we're all in it together. Look after yourself tonight. Xx

Alex1967

Thanks Pink, July will soon come round. I'm taking my phone so will let you know how I am as soon as I'm out of the groggy state! I'm having some dye put in in the morning and mx is in the afternoon and have opted for implant - wasn't going to bother but I'm only a B cup and BCN said I was an ideal candidate really so thought might aswell. They said if I need radiotherapy there's a small chance it can break the implant down but I would just cross that bridge if it happened. I'm all packed now, nil by mouth at midnight, a good nights sleep and got to be there at 8am. Onwards and upwards x
Pinkloz83

Good luck tomorrow Alex 😘

Ive just come back from seeing my consultant and I'm definitely having a mastectomy after my chemo, so probably mid July... long old haul!

let us know how you are if you're up to it xx

Strudel

Hi Alex, best of luck for tomorrow.

As Cartwheels said, ductal in the most common - 80% I think it is? Re lymph nodes my surgeon said exactly the same thing. Lymph nodes are there to do a job and if they are involved then it's treatable, it's just a different plan.
Waiting's the worst. I felt much better after the op was out of the way. Waiting for the results was crap as well - I hope they get you yours quickly. X
Cartwheels

Hi Alex,

Pleased to hear you're getting a clearer diagnosis. I too have IDC, and apparently it's the most common breast cancer - I take comfort that hopefully that means the medical team have loads of practise treating it successfully. Mine is grade 3 - had my lumpectomy last week, and 2 lymph nodes removed too, so back in that awful limbo land waiting for full results and treatment plan next week. My consultant also told me not to be worried about lymph node involvement. 

Also wanted to share for other ladies that I had "something on my MRI" (those words just strike the fear of God in to you, don't they?) so I had a further ultrasound a few days after my MRI. In my case, it was just bruising in my breast from the biopsy. Don't our poor boobs take such a pummelling!

Ali x

Alex1967

Oh and for the first time I asked what BC I have and it's invasive DC - not really sure if it's a common one or not
ladybowler
Community Champion

Alex

I think I was told something like that as well, but cant remember exactly.  I was fortunate mine were clear.

Loving your positivity, keep it up it goes a long way to getting you through this xxxx

Alex1967

Thanks Helena - regarding nodes, the consultant said about a 3rd of people have them affected but he wasn't concerned even if they do find mine to have cells in - he said that's what the lymph nodes job is so they'll deal with it if they are present and didn't seem fazed at all! Made me feel more positive.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Alex

Well that is another milestone reached and your plan so far has not changed which is good.  Loving the twins names 🙂

All the very best for Wednesday and let us know when you can how you are getting on post op

Helena xxx

Alex1967

Well went for appointment today following the findings on MRI and aswell as my original 25mm lump they have found 3 more but very small (1mm, 2mm and 6mm) therefore not having biopsy as radiologist said same characteristics as main one so mastectomy on Wednesday - lymph nodes still look normal but will obviously be checked out. Hail medical technology that's all I can say! X
Kimjane

Hi team ....

going to original conversation ... I was diagnosed with one area and the second was indecisive, so went through second biopsy and more waiting.  Luckily second area for me was clear so WLE and not MX.  so hopefully this will help you.

Patricia ... I have also got a good team and the breast unit in QA, Portsmouth are fantastic!  

Patriciamay

You are so right Alex.  I think Doctors struggle sometimes why we aren't delighted in their latest weapon of choice! I have heard clinicians talk so passionately about how the advancement of medicine gives us so many options, but to us it's another step into the unknown.  I've said this a few times, I am absolutely amazed at the compassion, professionalism and expertise my team have given me,   My anxieties are always washed away when I see them.  They just want to do the right thing for us.   I hope this is the same service we are all getting.  Xxxx

Pinkloz83

Exactly! Even though it's a bit doom and gloom at this stage, it's a must to know the full picture! And they are just covering all bases. It's a fab service when you think about it xx
Alex1967

Thanks Pink!!! I think this is an example of why thousands and thousands of people are surviving nowadays due to the medical technology we have that sadly wasn't available or as good years ago. To get the whole picture first time is so important. I feel so much better today - Rolf and Alf (the twins) will be gone soon and can then get on with the rest of my life! You all have helped me so much!!! Xx
Pinkloz83

Hi Alex 

My MRI also found 2 other little lumps! 

So i now have my main one (35mm) and then one at 10mm, and another at 7mm.  I got told they are 'suspicious' too and have the same characteristics of the big one... so basically are also cancerous. At first I was so scared and worried and it just seemed like I was getting ravaged by this f*cker!

but my oncologist actually said it makes no difference to prognosis. The only thing that might have to happen now is a mx instead of a lumpectomy (that's if the chemo doesn't shrink them)

so please don't worry xx

pink xx

Alex1967

Thanks Sarah x
Jo, yep Rolf and now Alf (Another Little F.......)!
Sallyann43

Hi Alex, glad to hear you're feeling calmer 😀 .. I can't tell you how many meltdowns I've had but it's been a few 😊
We all go into overdrive with our thinking as soon as something is mentioned regarding more tests or words that we haven't heard before are said .. but gosh, fair enough I say .. we don't know anything do we? It's all new to us and our emotions are all over the place .. positive .. negative .. fear and anxiety ..

You are on the best site here, I've been around since the end of October and don't know what I would have done without some of these ladies

I don't know about my next step yet .. I'm waiting for the results of the oncotype test so yet again in limbo land ... the awful awful waiting for results time!

Sarah xx
Alex1967

Thank you all - you've (yet again) calmed me down! I just want the surgery now whatever it needs to be as being diagnosed at Xmas it's felt ages! X
Patriciamay

Hi

I had two lumps one found by normal mammogram, and one identified by tomothesis mammogram.  Because of this I had a further MRI which came up with no further disease.  In my various conversations with radiologists this is what I found out.  All of these scans identify features of the breasts in different ways so therefore the images are looked at together.  MRI is used for women with dense breasts as gives a better image, there is evidence they throw up false positives, hence why biopsy first.

my two lumps were the same in terms of hormone type etc, but were different grades, a grade 1 and a grade 2, and I was told they can be different.  The tomothesis I understand is the latest gadget.  Although it was all a bit of a nightmare on reflection now I am very pleased I have had several scans as I am now all clear.  Good luck

Debbie61

Hi Alex. I was diagnosed with invasive ducal bc 2.2 lump in April last year in my left breast. My oncologist was keen to do MRI and ct before surgery. These lit up like Christmas trees and I had further MRI on liver (negative) and suspicious other areas in both breasts. My right breast had 3 lumps (all benign). Had a further MRI guided needle biopsy of left breast as something shown up behind nipple. The biopsy was inconclusive so my surgeon said I should have a mastectomy as he would have to remove both areas and make such a mess of my boob that reconstruction at a later date would be impossible. So I had a mastectomy. The final pathology results showed that the area behind my nipple was benign. All these tests were massively stressful, and MRIs are well known for giving false positives. But in the end it's better to make sure. Probably not very helpful but at least you know that others have found themselves in the same boat. Sending hugs. Debbie

Alex1967

Do you have to have radiotherapy or chemotherapy?
Alex1967

Hi Sarah - I'm not sure what type it is all I know is original lump of 25mm was found on mammogram and confirmed by ultrasound/biopsy to be ER+ PR+ HER2 neg grade 2. Not sure if this other "suspicious area" will come back the same type??? I said to them can't you just take it off and they said they have to justify mastectomy x
Sallyann43

Hi Alex - me!
Oct 28th diagnosed with 2cm invasive lobular cancer and as with lobular was sent for an MRI scan
16th Nov - MRI
23rd Nov - results of MRI were ... the 2cm lump was actually 4cm and a further 2cm lump was also found
22nd Dec - mastectomy

I was given the choice of lumpectomy or mastectomy and chose the latter as I am fairly small boobed and couldn't imagine what a lumpectomy would look like to be honest

Do you have lobular cancer?

I didn't have the smaller lump biopsies because they said there was no point if I was having a mastectomy. I got my post op results last Friday and both lumps were grade 2 lobular

Hope this helps

Sarah xx
Alex1967

Further findings on MRI

Just wondering how many have been diagnosed with a lump and then a further lump being found on MRI? I had a 25mm lump found on ultrasound and booked in for lumpectomy but consultant wanted an MRI first (due to being pre-menopausal and dense breast tissue??) - result today shows "another area of suspicion" so want to biopsy prior to surgery just in case mastectomy required - anyone else had this happen?