GP Support?

Anyone had problems with GP support? Wish I had taped one particular telephone “consultation” with my GP (one of 12 in the group practice).  I think I could have marketed it for GP training on how now to support  a patient diagnosed with terminal cancer!

Hi Jaydun,

sorry you don’t seem to have any replies yet - we are all still getting used to the new forum and maybe not as quick to spot new threads as usual.

My GP has been fantastic - but it’s a single handed practice and I’m sure that makes a difference.  I *thought* that once you had a cancer diagnosis they somehow marked your file so you could get quick access to a GP (certainly that’s my experience personally and professionally).  Maybe you could send a written complaint to the Practice Manager and/or Senior Partner (unless it was him/her)?  I had to complain about a registrar at the hospital where I was treated, and they actually thanked me for dong so as it prevented the same being experienced by other people.

Hope you get some good support soon.

My GPs receptionists seemed to either have a flag on my file, or know how to respond when I said, “good morning, it’s XX and I’m on chemotherapy”… I rarely got through to a GP, but always either got through to, or left a message for, the Practice Nurse, who always rang back.  Usually, I had spoken to the BCN, and she had told me what I needed, so the conversation wentn along the lines of “I have these symptoms/worry and the BCN says I need a prescription for X”  She was very happy because the BCN knew more about it than she did, and a prescription would be left to be collected.  Worked a treat…  Only once saw a GP, one came out one evening (I’d spent all day waiting for the chemo suite to ring back cause BCN was on holiday!) and he was fantastic.  Actually asked how I was COPING!!!  I nearly fell off my seat!

Sorry you’ve had such a negative encounter… worth feeding it back, as suggested, and see if the nurses can be better!

Jane xx