GP's

deleted

As a counsellor do you not have one yourself? I totally understand where you’re coming from I’ve been reading up on the symptoms of PTSD and it seems to me that there’s a lot in common here. I was saying to my OH last night that I feel I should be strong and cope and keep it to myself and he said that apparently a lot of people who have PTSD say exactly the same thing. Makes sense to me.

Why are they so happy to give out drugs but not counselling I wonder. Have you read the peter harvey article on life after treatment?

I can’t really offer any advice as I’m still going through the treatment phase myself but I am looking forward to taking MY life back, it will never be the same and I no longer live under the niave belief that I’ll certainly be around until my 90s but that was a delusion anyway but it does take a lot of strength to say NO to treatments sometimes and in my experience so far I actually feel like some of the health care professionals are almost pushers if you know what I mean.

This is the place where you can show your feelings cava because without exception,those who have had bc will share them.I cannot imagine a time when I will not be afraid.Vx

Hi Cava, i am sure we all feel like you. I always feel worse after being on here!
Maybe you could ask yourself ‘what did you expect him to say’ or ‘what did you want him to say’, i suppose apart from counciling theres nothing more they can do for us. I hope you wont be put off your gp, he sounds great and its nice when you have a doc that really knows you and your family.

Hi Cava,

Im sorry to hear you feel a bit let down by your GP who sounds as if he has been really great in the past. I’m with you on this and feel we should take more charge of our own bodies and feelings. Some GPs dole out anti-depressants like smarties as it’s an easy option when they are pressed for time. However, I do feel you need to consider whether you have become clinically depressed and are in denial and maybe he has picked up on this from your behaviour. Is there anyone close to you who will give you an honest opinion as to whether they believe you are truly depressed rather than naturally fearful after what you have experienced?

If you are sure you aren’t clinically depressed then refuse the SSRIs and ask for a referral to a Counsellor who deals in PTSD when you go back to your GP.

Also, what about contacting an organisation like Macmillan to see if thy can be of any help to you.

I hope you can speak to someone so that you can find some peace of mind. I’m sure everyone who goes through breast cancer must always have the fear of it returning in the back of their mind but it shouldn’t be close to mind all the time.

Best wishes to you.

Suze

I’m afraid I’ve experienced the same thing. GP was very supportive all the way through, then when my oncology clinic asked for his permission so they could give me a counselling referral near the end of treatment he said absolutely not as he had a problem with the counsellor being a clinical psychologist. I was told it was not necessary and as I had been positive all the way through I just had to turn things around and get on with it - I pretty much got the same thing from his wife who is another GP in the practice. All I was offered was Tamazepam for sleep problems. When I spoke about stress he told me not to be silly, stress would not bring the cancer back.

Three months later I was referred to a menopause clinic and the Consultant there wrote to my GP about what to prescribe for menopause symptoms, she also said she supported counselling due to BC leaving me post menopausal. When I contacted the surgery, the letter had been sent for filing and was marked “no action to be taken”. Finished up with my oncologist overruling my GP and getting me into counselling anyway. The psychologist has told me she worked for another health authority where they were inundated with GPs referring cancer patients, but in my particular authority GPs don’t seem to approve of this. I attend my local Maggies Centre once a month and at our last meet one of the ladies who works there said they get a stream of complaints from cancer patients about their GPs.

I’ve now had 5 counselling sessions and am feeling so much better emotionally and psychologically. It looks like I’m going to be discharged after my next session as I’ve now finished with oncology as I’m now getting on with things. I’m a very emotionally strong person, but the first to admit I could not have done the last bit on my own. Personally, I think help should be available for anyone in this situation who feels they need it.

deleted

Hey Cava

That does seound like he may have been under pressure too, and as such he may just have misread you and thought you were asking for something to take to deal with it.At my last blood test I noticed loads of posters on the wall as usual but one of them was basically telling patients that antibiotics don’t cure colds. I’m very very wary of antibiotics as I know overuse leads to resistance but the idea that people are *asking* for them stunned me. And during the avian flu hysteria my doc said that he had a lot of patients asking for the flu jab thinking it would protect them, so I wouldn’t blame a doc for just assuming you meant can I have some pills as that’s exactly what *so* many people seem to want.

Maybe he will respect your decision after all.

Angie

Hi cava

Your GP may be of the ‘old school’ not so keen on counselling mode of thinking, and keener on drugs (which have their place)

As vertangie says if you are a counsellor yourself then surely you at least have supervision if not counselling yourself. I think this is something you should be talking about with your supervisor…sorry if this sounds brusque but I think its so important that counsellors and therapists look after their own emotional health before working in a counselling role.

best wishes

Jane

Please close this thread