Gaining weight for DIEP op.

Hi, I had mx and implant reconstruction Sept 14, chemo and rads, and lots of complications with implant and about 5 ops to rectify. I’m still not happy with the shape and non existent symmetry, so as I’ve gained 2 stone since diagnosis I am now due to have a DIEP at the end of August. 

I’ve never had a belly before and thanks to post chemo menopause I seem to be thickening around the middle and weigh about the same as I did when I went into hospital to have my children!. My surgeon has asked me to try to put on more weight as I still don’t have a lot of belly fat. 

Just wondered if anyone else has been asked to put on weight? Ideally I’d like to get back down to about a stone less than I am now and wondered if I lose weight after the DIEP will my boob shrink too?

Thank you ladies x

Hi.  I too am waiting for a DIEP reconstruction and my consultant has also told me that it is borderline whether I have enough tummy tissue.  I, apparently, also don’t have enough for a flap from elsewhere.  As I am quite big boobed (D) it doesn’t help and I would prefer not to have a unilateral implant either for symmetry reasons.

I am also watching my weight to make sure I keep my existing tummy but have not started to eat for England yet!  I would like to/should lose a bit of weight but am waiting until after my recon.  I am anticipating that I will have an opportunity to get fitter/achieve optimum weight prior to symmetry surgery which I will need on the healthy side (can’t believe there won’t be a waiting list for it).  My understanding is that one of the advantages of a DIEP boob is it will change in size as your weight fluctuates.

Take care - you have not long to wait now.

Ezzie.

Claire that sounds amazing! I was told hospital for 5-10 days for one side not two! You must be made of strong stuff.

Have you come home with drains? I remember them being a right pain after my original surgery.

Keep us posted on your recovery, and any tips you might have to help us through.

Ezzie, when’s your op? I’ve been told that the new boob will fluctuate in size with your weight gain/loss. Except that it remembers it is tummy fat so will adopt that rate of growth / shrinkage. Once you’ve had yours done you can ask for an uplift/reduction on the other side instead of implants.

Wow Claire!  That is amazing.  I have been telling everybody that I will be in hospital for at least five days but if I can get through as quickly as you, I will be absolutely delighted.  I appreciate that there are many individual factors that come into play but is there anything in particular that has enabled you to achieve this feat?  I will certainly attempt to take it on board if there is as I am somewhat apprehensive at the thought of what is still to come in my recovery from BC.

Riversidedawn.  I don’t know when I will get my reconstruction as I am at the mercy of the NHS waiting lists.  I have been told that I have to wait 6 months and then it might happen within the next 18 weeks after that.  On that basis, it could be about April/May next year.  I could not have immediate recon as I had diagnosed but untreated sub-clinical hypothyroidism.  My stats for this were not conducive to the long op that would have entailed.  It has got to the point that I am receiving treatment for it now and I feel hugely better for it.  I just hope it doesn’t cause me to lose the little bit of weight that I gained because of it.  Have you had to wait long for your op?

Ezzie. X

Hi Claire , Lovely to hear from you and that things are going so well! Amazing recovery from a big op and you sound to be in great place mentally! Long may it continue, all the best Xx

That’s so good to hear claire. I’ve always been fit and strong myself and carried on doing yoga and stuff throughout my active treatment. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to regain my level of pre diagnosis fitness as I’m suffering with multiple joint pain.

I’m trying to strengthen my core now in anticipation for the op.

I am still stunned at your steady recovery claire as I’ve been told that the first 3 days after surgery are critical to make sure the op is successful and that the tissue is alive and well. They said I’ll be kept in isolation for that period, in a very warm room and checked ever half hour to ensure the new breast is thriving.

I’m pleased that you are taking it easy, don’t rush to get back on those horses and jeopardise your recovery.

Ezzie I’ve been waiting since about march for this op. I saw my original onco plastic surgeon and she had to apply for funding as it’s over 2 years since my original diagnosis. I finally saw the plastic surgeon a few weeks ago and he just happened to have a slot available at the end of August, so I’ve been very fortunate. I would like to have had it done at the beginning of the school holidays to ease the logistics of school runs but somehow we’ll find a way round that in September/October!

Hi Claire,

So nice to see you here again and with such fantastic news. What a difference from this time two years ago hey? Can’t believe it myself. 

Sending a virtual hug (but not too tight until you are totally mended :smileyhappy:)

Ruth

Thanks Ruth, it’s lovely to see some familiar names still posting! I’ve been away from the forum for a while as I just needed to get my life back together and step away from the whole cancer thing. I’m feeling so strong now that I think I can dip my toes back into the water and hopefully support others.
Just on my way to get dressings changed. J week on from op and still love my new boobs and feel really well!! Hopefully all good from here!
Lots of love
Claire xx