Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening Club

104 REPLIES 104
bonariensis

Re: Gardening Club

bonariensis

If you are in Devon next weekend you could go to the Blackawton International Festival of Wormcharming. If you do, call in at the allotment plant stall and buy some Verbena bonartensis
http://www.wormcharming.co.uk

Barton

I'll never turn down the chance to visit a tearoom, B! In fact, my friend has just done herself a bucket list as she turns 50 in a month. She wants to do things like go-carting, etc, and has done archery, but with my back I can't risk anything like that, so she suggested I do a bucket list of tearooms and coffee places to visit instead - I thought that an excellent idea!

Hugs. Barton.x

bonariensis

You can never see them too often. When the weather improves we'll see what we can do. Greenway is best in eafly spring, once the leaves come out you can't see the river which is its best feature. But there are others (with delightful tearooms!) 

B xx

Barton

That would be brilliant! Although you have seen them all!

Hugs. Barton.x

bonariensis

Barton We'll have to go on a garden tour 

Barton

Oh B, they are magnificent! I adore magnolias. That is another garden I have always wanted to visit.

Hugs. Barton.x

bonariensis

Went to the garden at Greenway, Agatha Christie's home, yesterday. It's on the banks of the River Dart estuary. Lovely magnolias.

.100_8329.JPG100_8345.JPG100_8336.JPG100_8343.JPG

bonariensis

I'm retired from all that, just doing it for fun now though pain does make it a bit less fun! B xx

Carolyn52

Hiya Barton
Our B was spot on ..it's a arum Lily ..just googled it ...think Monty Don /Alan titmarsh should be offering you a job Bon! !
Gardening hugs from someone that definitely doesn't have green fingers ...
Xxx
Barton

I bow to B's superior gardening knowledge! Definitely NOT a Camelia!

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Thanks b
Can always rely on your gardening knowledge ....arnt i I lucky to be able to have diy willys! !!
Most of our winter cyclamens have survived outdoors and beginning to look quite happy again. I do love spring.
Carolyn xxxxx
bonariensis

I think it's an Arum lily. I won't bother you with the latin name - it's even worse than bonariensis You're right about the willy - it's the male part of the plant!

B xx

Carolyn52

IMG_20170313_175558.jpgany ideas?

Barton

B, that garden looks lovely! Keep meaning to visit, but still haven't made it yet.

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

Carolyn - you naughty lady! I think you mean you have a Camelia! They don't like the frost, so take care if one forecast. The other possibilities are Rhododenron, or a Magnolia, but sounds more like a Camelia to me. Not that I am a plant expert by any means (only saying, cos I was bought one for Christmas, and it looks like that!).

Hugs. Barton.x

bonariensis

Let;s have a picture if you think it's not too rude!

Carolyn52

Hello gardening ladies
Hubby bought me a lovely big potted plant for anniversary but don't know what its called.
It's got shiny green leaves , pink flowers and little things that look like yellow willies growing out if ...I keep calling it the Willy plant but I expect its got a more respective proper name !!!
Any ideas ?
bonariensis

Our son rang to say they had free tickets for the Lost Gardens of Heligan so we went yesterday and only had to shelter from the rain once! Red hot pokers were in full bloom in the jungle!

100_8298.JPG100_8300.JPG100_8301.JPG100_8311.JPG

Carolyn52

Hi b
Later I saw just one Magpie ..so saluted him and turned around after saying hello Mr Magpie how are you today ...neighbours will think I'm mad.
Very superstitious of them ..horrid birds !!
Carolyn xxx
bonariensis

Shame you didn't see more. 5 for silver, 6 for gold.

Weeds have started growing well.

Tomato cycle has started again

100_8273.JPG

Carolyn52

Just had four magpies land in my garden ..so didn't need to do the salute ritual !
1.for sorrow
2. For joy
3. For a girl
4. For a boy
What do the last two mean if you are not pregnant with a child then ? Do I have to buy a boy something ? budgie or rabbit ?
Xxx
Carolyn52

Hello B
How lovely ..are they in your garden ? The frost has killed our cyclamen plants but they were in since September so can't complain .
Xxx
bonariensis

Winter flowers

multi.jpg

Carolyn52

Thanks B.
Yes its a big one and phew what a noise she makes going around the plants ...rather nice to c this time of year as well. She probably won't find much pollen though in our wilting cyclamens .
bonariensis

The buff tailed bumblebee will fly in winter in warmer parts of the country (where we are lucky enough to live!). It's large and has orange stripes. I have winter flowering plants and had a visit from one today. The queen is really large so it's probably a she not a he paying you a visit.

Carolyn52

Hello fellow gardeners
Ha ha ..it's me that doesn't know a weed from a pansy but the last two days we have this huge bumble bee in our garden ..he's furry and black with yellow spots ..he must be over a inch or so long ...is that unusual this time of year? Or is it a foreign one?
Xxxx
bonariensis

Rijnfelds early sensation daffodil might be out by Christmas in a sheltered spot

Not quite Christmas but they were planted late. Here they come!
rhinevelts.JPG

Barton

Thats brilliant! Thanks for the lovely photo, bonariensis.

Hugs. Barton.x

bonariensis

Not much gardening at the moment but the National Trust has brightened up the garden at Lanhydrock with bauble bedding.

lanhydrock.jpg

Anneemay

Hi Bonariensis

You might have better luck if you can find a local stables as the lady we got ours from said that she has to pay to have hers taken away when it gets too much. Ann x

bonariensis

Hi Anneemay You seem well organised. I like growing bulbs in pots - they're easier to keep track of and you can wheel them to the front when they're at their best (or get someone to wheel them  for you). Good to have a ready source of dung. I'm surprised how hard we find it to get hold of when we live in the midst of a livestock farming area but I'm told farmers use it all themselves now..

B xx

bonariensis

Hi EJ I can sympathise. I despair of my garden. It's always been a bit wild - the way i like it, but it's getting out of hand now. Hurt my back doing too much last month and don't dare do a lot now. Sorry you've been ill and not up for much gardening, hope things improve. At least with the colder weather things in the garden will slow down so, as long as it's not too wet maybe you can catch up a bit. The verbena bonariensis in my garden has finally faded though it's still being visited by goldfinches. It's a star plant, has bloomed for almost 5 months, 2 months ago it was attracting butterflies and for the last 6 weeks goldfinches have been regular visitors  

Bonariensis xx

EJ81

Oh I am so behind on my garden now. Have managed to be I'll for most of this month so just haven't got out there! Still need to strip down and cover the veg bed and start planning for next year (I have a couple of cold frames that I feel I could get better use out of. Also with all the mild wet weather we've suddenly get lots of toadstools on the lawn! I don't mind them too much but I worry about the boy poking them!!
Hoping to get out there when I have some energy back as I wanted to plant some fruit bushes this winter. Fortunately I have a nice garden centre with a good cafe nearby so I'll be off for a spend once I'm feeling up to it! Xxx
Anneemay

Hi All,

Well the raised beds hubby has built are now in place and we have been to the local stables to get free manure to improve the soil, which we will leave over winter. Have put some more bulbs in pots to give us some colour in the garden in the spring before we replant the beds. Ann 

bonariensis

Autumn flowers are still blooming

autumn.jpg

Winter ones have started to flower. Winter iris and winter jasmine

winter.jpg

bonariensis

Got some early flowering daffodils and iris bulbs in th post yesterday. A bit late but they were on special offer. Planted them in pots but this time did not attempt to move pots got strong man to do that. It will be interesting to see just how early the daffodils are. It.'s very mild where I live.

bonariensis

Yes, you have to pace yourself. I was in charge of the communal flower plot at our allotmetnts but gave that up to try and concentrate on the garden. Your maple is a beautiful colour right now and it's lovely the way it catches the light and brings it into the planting bed. xx B

Anneemay

Spent most of the day in garden, potting up plants that need transplanting when raised beds are in. Have put some snowdrops in underneath the Camelia we moved earlier in the week and hubby has built first of three raised beds. So things are progressing as planned but having to take little breaks between tasks though as feeling a little bit more tired on 2nd week of Cape. Ann xx

Carolyn52

Oh I want one in my garden please !! My own supply of chocky ..yum .
Carolyn xxxc
bonariensis

One of my favourite plants is chocolate cosmos. I hope Carolyn has plenty in her garden. They're not fully hardy, you have to dig up the tubers in winter and keep them frost free. They look wonderful at the moment, such a rich autumnal colour. They do smell of chocolate. Another plant that smells chocolatey is the chocolate vine, akebia

chocolate.jpg

bonariensis

Ouch - pruned my gooseberry bushes today.

bonariensis

Hi Aneemay. Welcome to gardening. Raised beds are great for ease of working and for soil. I designed a garden with raised beds at elbow height for a really old lady in our village and she went on gardening for a long time. She was a farmer's wife so she went out in all weathers. My garden's at a bit of an angle so what's a raised bed on one side is at ground level on the other. I know gardening makes you feel good but don't overdo it and find yourself having to move carefully as i did this week. Bonariensis xx

Anneemay

Hi can I join in please, we have not got a very big garden but both my husband and I find it very thereputic to potter as some people say. In fact we are in the process of revamping the back garden as it has got a bit tired looking. I have been busy the last few weeks potting up the perrenials I want to keep, as we have decided to put in some low raised beds, so that we can improve the soil within them. I am hoping that it will make the bed more manageable and the plants will love their new home. Ann

HelenAquarius

yes bonariensis - you've inspired me to get bulbs. 🙂
It's good to reflect on how far we have come, milestones etc.
Xx

bonariensis

This time last year I was coping with being newly diagnosed and couldn't see the way ahead. But I planted bulbs which is always an act of faith, as you are hunkering down for winter, that that next spring will come. So here I am a whole year later making another act of faith with, perhaps, more, optimism than a year ago.

bonariensis

I f you can't get them at the garden centre buy them online http://www.crocus.co.uk/

HelenAquarius

Wow fantastic info... Means I'm going to have to make another trip to the garden centre! X

bonariensis

Rijnfelds early sensation daffodil might be out by Christmas in a sheltered spot

bonariensis

Iris unguicularis winter Jasmine winter viburnums witch hazel mahonia but most of these are shrubs violas are good. Used to live in Reading 30 years ago could have come round with some winter flowering iris