Thanks for the reply Ash66.
I've spoken to a genetics counsellor and he offered me the test the same day. I said I'd think about it.
He is going to check if I can get MRI screenings without having the test done. My mammo failed to spot the cancer (due to dense breasts) so that's why I want MRI screenings. The oncologist said you only get MRI screening if you are classed as high risk. The genetics counsellor said he thought I should be classed as high risk (without having the test) due to family history. He is writing to oncology dept.
I asked if the test came back negative would that mean I wouldn't be offered MRI screenings but he was unsure. This is why I didn't do the test immediately. I want MRI screenings.
Thanks for your help
I don't know if you've seen BCC's publication Breast Cancer in Families, but if not here's the link below. I hope you find it helpful.
I've been offered a gene test because of my family history. Anyone had this done? How did you feel waiting for the results and once the results were received?