Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General chat

266 REPLIES 266
JulieD
Community Champion

Re: General chat

ooh, I  know the Guild gallery in Bovey Tracey, it is lovely and I'm jealous! Wish I  was closer. We had planned to move to the West Country (Somerset) but when I  got SBC decided to stay here with Onc and GP etc  but we used to spend most of our holidays in Somerset.

Have a good time xxx

bonariensis

Hi Barton

Yes, I had been thinking the same thing. It would be lovely to see you both. I don't mind driving to Exeter but there's a good cafe at the Devon Guild of Craftsmen in Bovey Tracey and lovely things to look at as well. Going away for half term week starting 11th B xx

funnyface
Community Champion

Lol, at the typo. It is amazing some times what it changes our words to! FF

Barton

Sorry folks, only just catching up on this thread!

B- the rat sounds awful! Such a distruption! Also, when you drove us to Britol you did tell us beforehand that your Onc had OK'd it! You drove beautifully (in some dreadful weather on the way home, too). By the way, we mentioned getting together for a meal sometime, didn't we? I'm still up for it, and I'm pretty sure Carolyn would be too. Let us know if you fancy it and we'll arrange something. Perhaps we could meet somewhere roughly half way between you and Exeter.

Ff - I had to laugh at your typo! Your daughter getting a brand new MISTRESS! Wow! Thats predictive text for you I expect! So sorry she had to suffer terribly from bed bugs. That must have been a nasty shock.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Carolyn52

FF
Just reading your posting about bed bugs I didn't realise they could be such a problem !!
My mum used to tuck me into bed as a little girl and always said " nite nite little one, sleep well and don't let the bed bugs bite " !!
I'm thinking she might have been serious !!!
Think I might just vacuum my mattress later !!
Carolyn xxx
JulieD
Community Champion

Smiley Very HappySmiley WinkSmiley LOL thanks for the laugh Carolyn xx

Carolyn52

This morning ..a man went past our house wearing a dress and blonde wig ..I Said to hubby ..omg ..he's a transformer !! Silence as I meant transvestite ...!! Think that blonde moment from me will go around friends !!
Carolyn xxx
funnyface
Community Champion

You are going to need a big snooze!! Thank goodness it's gone! My daughter went through he** with bed bugs awhile ago. They bought a brand new mistress and thought they must have got them in it. Turns out they live in a twin house. The other half of the house the man th a t own a it rents it out!  My daughter founded out they had them! They didn't treat for them! It was very expensive for my daughter to exterminate. It was like $1,600! The neighbors since have thrown out couches and bedding. You can't just throw away! My daughter now  has the exterminator come every 3 months. Her mattress are all encased in special covers.She has turned them into the board of health. It's frustrating!

bonariensis

My daughter and grandchildren have been staying with us since the day after boxing day but went home today. The reason was that their cat brought in a live rat just before Christmas and it took up residence behind the dishwasher. It ignored traps and ate vast quantities of poison. It seemed immortal and eventually the council's contractor was called in. It died a few days ago and cleaning has been going on since.

I love them all to bits but will be glad of a rest. 

Carolyn52

Ha ha .
He did go to specsavers though ....so now he will be able to actually see what he's buying in supermarket and not guessing !! Have had some odd things when he goes on his own.
Hugs xx
Marcelle

Hi ,
It's rather like a spec savers ad here , never mind looking for the glasses we can't even see the shop
Lol 😁👓
bonariensis

Mine has dozens of pairs of glasses. I have sometimes had to remove 4 pairs plus assorted cases from the table before laying it. Maybe varifocals are the answer. xx

Carolyn52

With so much sadness around here ..I'm chuckling to myself ..might not be funny but hubby has glasses for the first time ...he has driving, tv and reading ones but the cases are a new ball game ..the springs on them are like Venus flytraps ...all I hear is click click as he avoids loosing his fingers everytime he changes the specs.
Think I need to get him some kinder cases from Santa .
Xxx
bonariensis

Perhaps i should reassure the two lovely ladies who i drove to Bristol in October that I had had a letter from my onc saying that he saw no problem with my driving. It just took the DVLA  (ff, the megalith that dishes out licences) a long time to come to the same conclusion.

funnyface
Community Champion

Bonariensis, I didn't know you had a brain tumor and no license. You must be ecstatic getting the license  back. Enjoy some adventures! FF

bonariensis

Thanks everyone. Barton, maybe I'll take a drive to Exeter in the new year. B xx

Barton

Hello, bonariensis - glad you got your driving licence renewed (?)! It's so much easier than having to rely on publuc transport - especially where you are!

Sorry to read your Mum has been poorly! Glad they have got it sorted out now, though. An Ultrasound is so much easier than an MRI to understand - glad your Mum wasn't upset by it.

Hugs. Barton.x

rosie53

Aww that's great news B, enough of our independence is taken away from us without losing our driving licence! 

Janette xxxx 

Carolyn52

Hiya b
So glad to hear that as you certainly need your licence living out in the sticks and its your independence that matters .
Nice Xmas pressy.
Xxxxc
bonariensis

Good news today. I've been on tenterhooks for 3 months waiting to hear whether my driving licence would be renewed and today i got a new one in the post. (Have a brain tumour but didn't know until SBC investigations}

funnyface
Community Champion

Hi B, I was amazed when I learned years ago h ow much confusion a UTI can cause. I warn families all the time!

JulieD
Community Champion

Glad they eventually got your mum sorted out, urine infections can be quite problematic themselves and can cause confusion so could add to your mums overall state, however it sounds as if she coped well. I  hope you'll manage to have aquieer day tomorrow and maybe even get a chancr to rest a little! xx

bonariensis

Well my mum had an ultrasound scan not an MRI, she hasn't got DVT, just a urine infection but it took         6 1/2 hours in Derriford hosp to find this out. She was remarkably calm. Really, I lost my mum a number of years ago and some of those years were very tricky. But she's really well looked after and the carers love her. Thanks for you support  B xx

Carolyn52

Hiya ff
My mum was 46 when dx in 1968 ..back then it was just mastectomy ..no rads chemo or hormone treatment plans. She did survive seven years despite this though which is more than some ladies get now with all the extra medical intervention.
The bc spread to her lungs and in her final weeks ..she went on a clinical trial for chemo which was newish then. Something else she trialled was the removal of the pituary gland which was thought could slow down the spread ..I guess hormone therapy like tamoxifen does that now in pill form.
I was dx at 51 ..during my first mammogramme ...was told that with adjuvant chemo would get five years or without three years but in fact got eleven happy healthy years until the little critters started invading my bones !!
Hugs xxx
funnyface
Community Champion

Hi B, Families are a tough situation. It always amazes me how some work together so well, and how with others it falls on one person's shoulders while the rest do nothing but complain abiut the one doing the caring. Dementia is very difficult and sad. My job is working with early stage dementia clients, planning activities and monitoring them. I know how taxing they can be. I find though watching their mental decline worst than watching a physical illness. Please take care of you through this.

Carolyn, I was 43 when I lost my mom and still felt cheated too, but you were really cheated! How old was your mum when she was dx with bc? How old were you when dx? My mom had bc and was scheduled, at age 60. I was 41 and shocked I got it so much sooner. I figured I would probably get it, but not that much earlier. I did genetic testing and I don't carry the Brac 1 or 2 gene. Oncologist says this means I didn't get it from my mom. Not quite believing that!! My philosophy is they only discovered those genes in the 90's, how many more genes haven't they discovered yet ?!?! You also can get false negatives on the testing. My mom was 75 when she passed.She died from metastatic small cell lung cancer to the liver.  

Carolyn52

Hello B
Yes think of your own health as I know you also have to help your daughter too so you are the one juggling so many balls in the air.
A bit envious though of you having your mum around as mine died at age 52 of bc and even now I feel robbed that she was taken from me at age 21 when a girl needs her mum so much !!
Hugs xx🎅
JulieD
Community Champion

Oh Bonariensis elderly parents can be souch a worry. I hope it isn't too confusing or traumatic for your mum and they manage to get things sorted quickly.

Don't be hard on yourself, you've every right to think about yourself, in fact, in your situation you SHOULD think about yourself! Unfortunately families dont always 'think' and support doesn't come when you need it. I don't know your family set up but maybe you could say that you dealt with mums hospital today and are shattered so maybe one of the others could follow through ......

Hope all goes as well as it can and you don't wear yourself out xx

Carolyn52

Hello B .
Phew that's a good age your mum is ..hope she's ok. Try not to worry too much.
Xxx
rosie53

Aww B, you have my sympathy, fingers crossed it all goes quickly and smoothly! 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

bonariensis

Have to spend the day in hospital with my mum today. She's 95 and has dementia, you can't communicate with her. She has developed DVT and is having an MRI scan. They're scary enough if you know what's happening. I can't go in the ambulance from her care home to the hospital. Shoudn't be thinking about myself but i wish i got a bit more support from my family.

Carolyn52

Hiya Lynn
Oh I just love the smell of a new baby too ..but I won't get anymore either ..my grankids are 23, 12 and twins 11 ...
Soon they are born they kind of steal your heart and then later they pull the purse strings !! but wouldn't change it for the world.
Sometimes dreams have a meaning but I'm not sure what yours could mean ???
Carolyn xxxx
Lynnq

Just found this thread and would like to tell you all about the dream I had last night.
My grandchildren are now aged 17, 12, 7, 5 and nearly 3. A couple of days ago I told my husband a little sadly that I would probably never hold a young baby again.
I am a big tennis fan and have been following the rise of Andy Murray - very pleased for him.

Anyway last night I dreamt that he and his wife had invited me for dinner and that I was going to babysit for them afterwards.

I was so disappointed when I woke up!!!!

Carolyn52

Hiya Jeanette
Somehow I don't like Martin Roberts ..he's creepy ...we went out for family lunch too ..sons 41st birthday and it was really nice and chatty ...omg ..I'm the mother of a middle age man !!!
Came back ..l slobbed out with choc although I was stuffed from lunch .
I let the side down last night watching tv ..no choc but a tube of Pringles instead !!
Then I've been on pinterest finding a knitting pattern for a jumper for my elf on the shelf !!
What is happening to my life .....
Hugs xxx
rosie53

Hi Carolyn, yes I think it's about time he got booted off strictly now! Loving Louise. ....and Judge Rinder! 

Omg what did you think of Martin Roberts in the Jungle last night? What a wuss! 

Well I've taken a leaf out of your book today Carolyn and been out for Sunday lunch 😆 chillaxin on the sofa now in my jammys watching Disneys Aristocats.......proper Rock and roll me!!!😁it reminds me of when the kids were little must have seen it a trillion times! 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Carolyn52

Hiya Jeanette
Just settling in for strictly tonight ..ed balls wasent good or funny this week but still laughing at his gangham style one from last week !!! Brilliant show though.
Loving Larry and Scarlett on the jungle too. I even watch the itv2 version after as well.
What am I like ???
Hugs xxx
rosie53

👍👍👍👍👍🎅🎅🎅

Carolyn52

Anyone interested if I set up a "ELF ON THE SHELF" thread where we can post photos of our elfs wearing silly outfits or doing naughty things ?
Carolyn xxx
bonariensis

Hi Spudgirl  Just as well you are having a break when you have to move house - a lot to cope with. Hope the break sets you up so you can continue on the road. Hugs B xx

Carolyn I hardly dare admit this but I have been involved with morris dancing for a long time, not as a dancer, I've got  2 left feet but playing in the band. I got married to a morris dancer 36 years ago but his knees gave out a few years ago. My daughter also used to dance.

I've got sore feet today, couldn't think of anything worse than morris dancing right now.

Funnyface  Glad you're feeling better.

funnyface
Community Champion

Hi girls, Spud hope you get fixed up soon. Two weeks in the hospital is two weeks wayyyyyy too long!! 

I feel better girls. I think I was just too tired, and bc I couldn't sleep I was dwelling  on issues! I got moving on some cleaning and projects, so I wouldn't think about the negative.

Spudgirl

Hellooooo! Just checking in and catching up with what's going on 🙂  Im  very sporadic on here.  

Spent another two weeks in hospital after my third chemo with a mix of neutropenia and a mystery infection that remains a mystery.  I've been on antibiotics on and off for a few months now, but in the end they gave up and stopped them completely and the infection is no better /no worse. 

Having a little break now from chemo  and see the Onc next week to see what to do now.  I want to carry on with chemo if I can as being Triple Neg, I don't have many options to start with so don't  fancy abandoning it half way through.

Anyhooo.p, as part of having a couple of normal weeks, we've just moved house and we are  in the middle of unpacking boxes and rebuilding stuff.

went to a fab fireworks display!

went to the NEC for a stitch and craft show which was brilliant.

now I've got to have a little read, see what I've missed on here .

Carolyn52

Sign on Sainsburys notice board :

Morris dancing classes for beginners at village hall ...
We all have a bucket list but not sure about this ...just going to garage to get my bells out !! Ha ha
Did make me chuckle though.
Carolyn xxxx
EJ81

FF I hope you are feeling more positive now. Losing sleep is rubbish and impacts on everything else. xxx
Marcelle

Hi ,
Tiredness seems to make everything even worse ,
Funnyface,don't be so hard on yourself , it is so difficult to keep up all the time , and you will feel better with a good night sleep ,
Anyone got any good sleep ideas to help out
Xxxx
Marirose

Hi FF

I can only echo what others have said. Cheer up we need your friendly chatter and like everyone says we are all here for you. Sending you loads of (((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) across the pond and holding your hand   xxx

Carolyn52

Funny face
Come on buck yourself up ...rise above it and do something special.....
We all go there in that dark place ..think may be its the change of season which doesn't help either.
We are all here for you across the pond ..holding hands together with this horrid disease .
Lots of hugs from my very special hugs cupboard
Carolyn xxx😅😅
rosie53

Hey funnyface, no butt kicking lady! We all get those days/weeks when everything just gets a bit too much! I too have felt a bit out of sorts this week, feel like the whole world was against me and everything was a battle. BUT i just went with it and am now feeling much better!!

Be kind to yourself  ((()))

Janette xxx

bonariensis

No don't do that Funnyface. You're entitled to feel like that. Bad sleep undermines your whole being. You've done so well and brought cheer to our lives. Try and find something today that'll bring a ray of light to your own life Hugs B xx

funnyface
Community Champion

Feeling very whiney!!! Have that dreadful alone feeling, tired of this journey, hurting, tiredness, not sleeping, worrying, financial stresses, etc Maybe I just need some solid rest!!! This waking up every couple hours doesn't help. I've been lke this for a couple days now. Guess I'm going to have to kick my own butt.

Moijan

Golly gosh off to see the onc tomorrow

Carolyn52

Hello moijan
Well there u go then ...job done and you are now full of the good stuff ..think of it as Rambo killing all the baddies !!
Hugs xxxx