Genes

Hi all, have had all of my treatment and am sort of ok now, when I saw my Oncologist she put me for gene testing as my daughter had it as well 2 year’s ago, she said you have got it so you should have the test, my daughter had ductal and I had Lobular grade 2, got a letter from Hostpital to say I don’t fit there criteria for testing, my sister had breast cancer at 48 and a few aunt’s have it, don’t really understand it I am 72 so perhap’s it’s my age, they said if my daughter had triple negative she could have the test but she didn’t her’s was found very early thank god, has anyone on here been refused gene testing or do you know how many family member’s have to be affected.

Hi Lesley

Sorry that you havent received any responses yet from other users.  Hopefully my reply here will help to bump it up the list a bit.  You may also find it helpful to post in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum or calling our free Helpline, 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Hi Lesley

My Mum had breast cancer at 47 but was told not to worry about us (her three daughters), as it wasn’t genetic. I don’t have triple negative, but have had endometrial as well as breast cancer and it was the endometrial nurse who asked about my family history and thought it was worth investigating.  My sisters (one of whom lives in Australia) have annual mammograms but have doctors who said genetic testing isn’t indicated for them.  In your case I wonder if they were able to check your other relatives?  You may be able to challenge via your GP?  I am thankful they have decided to look at my genes, as I have a daughter.  I am, however, taking a lot of comfort from Mum still going strong almost 30 years on. 

xx