cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genetic Testing

5 REPLIES 5
poemsgalore

Re: Genetic Testing

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but I know that Tamoxifen is used for premenopausal women who have had a hormone positive breast cancer. How do the doctors know that giving Tamoxifen to women who are at risk, but not yet had cancer, that they would have had a hormone positive one. What if they would have had a cancer that was HER2 positive or triple negative? Would taking tamoxifen still prevent a woman from getting a HER2 cancer, or triple negative one???

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jane_5,

I can only tell you my personal experience: I have started a 5-year preventative Tamoxifen course, without having had genetic testing, but with a family history of breast cancer. Not only this is in the new NICE guideline, butFI feel that prevention is better than cure. I have lived in the shadow of breast cancer for a long time now, with three family members affected. For the last few years I have been wondering if/when I will get it and, I have to say, since starting Tamoxifen I feel that I have made an empowering decision, fighting off cancer before it even appears.  I did consider the potential side effects very carefully. Fortunately I haven't had any yet and even if I do I'm going to try and finish the treatment, as prevention is so important to me. It's a very personal decision and I think you will know what to do.

I wish you all the best.

Heart

stressy_messy

Haha all the beast lol, I mean best 🙂

stressy_messy

Hi jane5, I think the best thing to do is to ask one of the nurses on BCC, you can send them an email.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/ask-us-your-questions/ask-nurse?utm_source...

Not sure the link will work but all the information is on the homepage.

My mum died of BC she was diagnosed at 44 and I was diagnosed at 45. My BCN said that my daughter fits the criteria to be referred to genetics and they will decide  what risk  she  has and if she can be tested.  If she doesn't get tested then I'm hoping she will  be monitored and get early screening . She's only 26  so not in any rush. I personally do think there is a link in my family for BC but think we probably don't have the genes .  I was worried she would ask me about taking Tamoxifen when it was in the news a few months ago, I wouldn't want her to take it at her age because of the side effects, of course she might not get any i'm just going on my own experience, but when she is older it might be an option for her.  I think it's very important to know your boobs and know what to look for and check. I think that if I hadn't been so breast aware because of my mum I may not of noticed something wasn't quite right until much later.

All the beast Melx

Lucy_BCC

Hi Jane
Along with the valuable information you have here please do feel free to call our helpliners to talk your queries over, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000
Take care
Lucy BCC

Guest user
Not applicable

Genetic Testing

Sorry guys I have another question.  The people on here seem to know more than my Doctor!  I hope I'm posting in the right place.  

I had a disagreement with my mum about genetic testing.  After alot of thinking I've decided to talk to my dr about putting me on tamoxifin.  I don't have breast cancer but have a family history and high breast density.  I've been told on here that if you have moderate to high family history the dr could put you on this drug.   My mum totally disagrees with me taking this as she was on tamoxfin after being diagnosed with bc.  Mum said that as her genetic test came back negative I'm not at high risk and I'm at the same risk of getting bc as the general population.  I don't agree with this as I had a mammogrom at the age of 38 due to my family history.

2 aunties diagnosed in early 40s, mum diagnosed 10yrs ago, my nan who passed away before I was born and my dad lung cancer.  

Am I right at thinking I am at high risk due to family history, even though genetics were negative? 

many thanks