Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting another job

7 REPLIES 7
Weetricia

Re: Getting another job

Lindalou,

You should speak to your HR personnel at work as cancer is specifically covered under the Disability Discrimination Act.No one should be allowed to bully you in the workplace.

Sam_BCC

Hi Lindalou

I am sorry to read you are having such a difficult time at work. Breast Cancer Care have various publications about employees rights when being diagnosed with breast cancer. These publications are under the employer charter and you may find it helpful to have a look at them. If you go to the following links you can read them on line.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/A5_EMPLOY_booklet.pdf

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/employ_policy_briefing_1.pdf

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/employ_charter_0.pdf

I hope these are helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

lindalou1952

Hi Can anyone give me any advice I have gone back to work having had six months off due to a operation for DCIS in Jan 2009. I am feeling that tired after only doing two hours at a time it seems that I cannot manage anymore. I have asked the pensions and work allowance people if i could get the money made up to what i was earning last year but they said i cannot get it. I am also having someone who is constantly making me feel small they did that ever since i started last Feb 2008 and i feel like i cannot cope with anymore. I have no confidence now but i need to earn the money otherwise i would pack the job in tomorrow also the bosses know of this person and her attitude towards me Please help Lindalou

cherub

I'm doing voluntary work one afternoon a week as I wanted to get away from the business we run from home and try to boost my confidence. It's with a charity that deals with homelessness and housing issues (I find some people automatically assume you want to be a volunteer with a cancer organisation if you have been in this situation). The clientele is challenging at times (teenage single mums, substance abusers etc), but the support workers in the office are cheery and full of life so I like it. TBH, if I was offered a couple of mornings paid work I'd consider it for some extra money. As far as voluntary work goes,the training is good and I'm booked on a week long food hygiene course, plus a few sessions learning about housing issues. I'm also going to do a refresher in IT stuff as I've never used Powerpoint for anything. They are trying to get a basic cookery course off the ground for men who have been housed after being in hostel accommodation and have asked if I'd be interested in maybe teaching some sessions as I'm currently putting together a cookery website and blog as a training project for my business and the copywriting course that I'm on. This is a whole new world for me, I used to be an admin manager in the arts and heritage sector; prior to that I worked in a Japanese bank as an assistant to 2 economists. When I worked in banking and admin management I lived in London and my working life was really stressful. I'd never want to go back to that.

sandra44

Congratulations on your new job ! I think that after diagnosis and treatment it certainly changes your slant on work/life balance. It certainly did for me....after finishing active treatment in May I spent the summer starting up a home baking business selling at local markets and now have my produce going into shops. Can take on as much or as little work as I like and hours to suit me and most importantly I'm enjoying it. Don't think I would ever have just gone for it before this cancer milarky,every cloud and all that......

Good luck to all going back to work or starting new jobs and ventures.

Sandra x

Reanne

I am glad you have found another job - your old one sounded so stressful. Since diagnosis, I find it hard to become enthusiastic about my work and find it very stressful especially as I have a two hour commute each way. Like most of us, we are quick to moan, but not do anything to make changes. I so admire you doing this. Yes, money is important, but not at any price and as for fewer holidays, if you are so stressed, holidays are spent recuperating from work rather than enjoying them. I should practise what I preach - may just do that!

Good luck

veggiebean

Good for you!

I'm thinking about going back to work next year when my daughter starts school. It's been 4 years since I worked so I must admit I'm a bit nervous about it all but I found your post very encouraging so thanks!

Veggie

Darwin

Getting another job

I posted a fairly depressing story the other week re poor treatment and bullying since returning to work. While that still goes on I have applied for a new job - 3 applications, 3 interviews - job offer on first interview. I was open from the outset about my illness and absence.

They respected that and offered me a job based on experience.

The job is not as well paid, has less holiday and not such a good pension arrangement but has done wonders for my self esteem - there is still life in the old dog yet! It will provide me with a gap before I start applying for other jobs or I may find that financially and emotionally it suits. In any event it has given me the confidence to continue working. It is not the answer for everyone - I know but it is certainly very encouraging and I've already cracked open the champagne!