Getting antibiotics to take abroad

Hi Folks

I went through active treatment last year (mx with immediate recon and ANC, chemo, rads). This year I’m going to have fun!

I’m off to SA at the end of the month and, as some think that long-haul flights can trigger lymphodema, I’ve had myself checked out and have been given a mild compression sleeve to wear for the journey. The physio I saw also suggested asking my GP for some antibiotics to take with me in case I get an infected cut or insect bite on my ‘at risk’ arm.

I’ve rung my surgery to inquire about this and have been told that because it is for travel, I will have to pay for a private prescription. Not a huge problem - it’s only £7.50 - but will I then have to pay for the anti-bs at the chemist? Has anyone any ideas how much they will cost?

Is this normal practice? Experiences and thoughts gratefully received!

Dx

I’ve got some just-in-case anti-bs twice in the past 2 months before long haul holidays…and had to use them twice (am so clumsy!)… I didn’t have to pay for them - my GP just added it to my Tamoxifen prescription…

Maybe just book an appointment with your GP and see if you can blab some free ones!!

It’s not for travel, it’s for lymphoedema, you could just as easily need them if you went to Centreparcs in this country or the Norfolk broads or the Lake district and got midged. Or a BBQ in your own back garden. It’s common sense to have them in your bag with you.

The thing about travel-drugs costing is meant for stuff like yellow fever injections etc that you really don’t need unless you go abroad, but you do have a high risk for lymphoedema and related problems after your surgery, wherever you take your body, and the recommendation is you should be given them so you shouldn’t have to pay. Maybe the physio can get a hospital doc to prescribe if the GP is being stroppy. But make an appointment and see the actual GP, you don’t have to tell reception team what it’s about, it’s not their business; this sounds to me like some stupid clerical jobsworth belittling or trying to override a clinical decision which is actually a standard protocol for people with lymphoedema. My guess is the GP would love to help keep you healthy and wouldn’t dream of making you pay.

Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit that I was a bit taken aback by the response. It wasn’t an instant receptionist response though - my request was put down in the ‘Dr’s book’ and they rang me back with the answer, so I don’t feel like making an appointment to be told the same thing.

However, I think I feel a letter coming on…
Dx

Possible an Email to the physio, copied in to breast care nurse or lymphoedema care team? I sure you shouldn’t have to pay.

dj, that’s outrageous
i agree that just seeing your gp in person should solve the problem - it’s probably just ones of those chinese whispers miscommunications & you don’t know what the admin staff wrote down
you shouldn’t need a letter from the physio - just tell the gp what the physio said!!
save your letter-writing brain for now & make an appt - & have a lovely holiday

Thanks all.

The letter will take less time than making an appointment and taking time off work - it also gives them an opportunity to ‘review their procedures’.

I’ll let you know the outcome!

Dx

I have also had antibiotics from my GP when travelling, just in case of problems. They have been issued on a normal prescription.

I have antibiotics prescribed as well, on a normal prescription. I have had 2 prescriptions over about 3 years so far, as the tablets went out of date fairly quickly.

Good luck
Anne

I was given antibiotics last year on prescription, for a holiday, which I didn’t need. Going away again next month and taking them with me again as still in date. My LD nurse also suggested I might get some antihistamine tablets as well, just in case. I asked GP and she was happy to do a prescription for those too. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Hi

Just an update. Letter was written and delivered last Weds, hadn’t heard anything from surgery, but went to pick up prescription on Friday. I wasn’t asked to pay and so thought ‘result!’ - however, when I took it to the chemist they said that the NHS bit hadn’t been filled it and it was a private prescription. The antibiotics came to a grand total of £5!

Roll on over a week and I was getting a bit peeved (when I remembered about it) that there hadn’t been any response to my letter, however, I had a phone call from one of the Drs this afternoon. He asked if anyone had been in touch about it, then apologised for the delay - he’d been away for a long weekend.

He explained about normal NHS guidelines (at length), but then said my case was different because of the lympho risk - that bit of the message hadn’t been passed on. We had a chat about how things could have been handled differently and it’s going to be discussed at the next practice meeting. Oh - and antibiotics are now on my repeat prescription list for whenever I want them!

Thanks for all the messages of support. Off to start packing in a min. :slight_smile:

Dx