Getting appointments

Sorry all but feel the need to rant, saw my oncologist on the 18th, was hoping to be discharged, but no. He has concerns and wants me to have a whole body and brain CT, I received an appointment to see him on the 23rd Dec within 3 days, CT appt, no, chased it myself as I have had issues like this before, X-ray have the referral but are waiting to “prioritise” nearly a week on rang again today, appointment clerk gives me an appointment for the 30th Dec, I pointed out that was a week after I’m seeing the onc specifically for CT results.

Clerk “checked” the request and pushed it up to the 18th.

I am having similar issues with an appointment for an EMG not yet resolved.

Am I just impatient or is this a valid moan, waiting and worrying is hard enough, I really am losing faith with the interdepartmental communication don’t know how to make it better, looks like I might be stuck navigating the system for some time to come.???

Hi Pattymi, 

I am sorry you are going through this anxious time, I am sure some of our users will be along shortly in order to offer their support. 

In the meantime please do call oursupport line at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about what you have experienced and offer a friendly ear.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant

Hi Pattymi

I have had exactly the same problem! You are not in the North west of England, by any chance?

I should have had a CT scan (first one since commencing treatment) around the 11th December. I received a letter for clinic appointment for 16 December,a week later I receive appointment for CT on 19th December! I rang them up and unless the Consultant asks for it to be done sooner, that is the only date!

When I informed the Onc Secretary, I was then offered an afternoon appointment on 23 December for the results!

I have declined that as it is so close to Christmas and if it’s bad news I need time to get my head round it. To avoid any anxiety/disruption to my child, who is anxious without this cancer business, I have had to get appointment for 7 January.

Every appointment I have attended in clinic, has not gone well due to poor, or lack of, communication. It has caused SO much additional stress.

Questions I have about a proposed treatment have remained unanswered, but consultant just says “you don’t have to have it”. I need information about what will happen if I don’t have it and I want to know the long term side effects! None of this has been discussed.

I feel that I am told what treatment they want me to have, my concerns are not taken seriously, they are not happy that I am trying to get on with my life (incurable), so need to decide if side effects are manageable for me, to have quality of life!

Sorry moan over.

I had mastetomey april27th, pathology results may10th! Stage 2highly hormone receptivehers2pos.,was in lymph glands 2 removed! Told i would get appointment for oncologist 2/3 weeks! Treatment chemo radiotherapy,heception then all being ok hormone tablets blockers! I dont see oncologist until 23 rd june! Am just devasted!Reasons given for delay staff issues!!! Also told chemo will not now be at my local hospital will need to travel…Am 63+ disabled! GP fuming wrote too oncology no help! I am frightened!!!