Getting my fitness back!

Hi ladies…previous to my diagnosis I was at the tip of my fitness and has PT once a week, along with about 4 circuit training sessions! …I’ve had a mastectomy and reconstruction…it’d the Braxton implant I’ve had…sort of mesh type implant…any ideas if I’d be able to do circuits again with weights?? I miss exercise and think it will pock my moods up a bit xx Rachael x

Hi Rachy65 

Thanks for using our forum.  Our moderator Anna asked if we could respond to your question. 

We can and we hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 5pm this evening if you would like to talk things through. 

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

Hi Rachy65

Anna our moderator thought it would be helpful if we posted a response as well as hearing from other forum users.

You do not say how long ago your breast reconstruction was. How you exercise would depend on this.  There is evidence that regular physical activity has a range of health benefit including impacting on emotional well-being. It sounds as if you were physically very fit before your diagnosis so it’s understandable you are missing it now.

Having a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, including a breast reconstruction, should not prevent anyone from being physically active. The type of exercise may need to be modified and it’s important to build up gradually when returning to exercise after a break.

It’s likely you have been advised to avoid lifting until the initial healing has taken place (this is usually around six weeks) and you have probably been given some specific post-surgery arm exercises to do daily. If you have a breast care nurse, do ask what they advise on increasing you level of activity and in particular circuit training with weights.

Our Moving Forward event has a session on exercise usually delivered by a physiotherapist.

Also we have recently launched Breast Cancer Care’s app (BECCA) . You can get simple and relevant suggestions each day to help you adapt to life after breast cancer treatment. It includes tips about diet, lifestyle, hobbies and wellbeing.

Do feel free to call our Helpline if you would like to chat anything through.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer.

Hi…thankyou so much for the reply, this has helped me alot

Hi all I had a lumpectomy in June and just go I’d had radiotherapy. I have continued walking 3/4 miles daiky when possibke through this. However due to letrozole I want to protect my joints and woukd like to know when I can start weight bearing exercises again, starting with light weights of course. Someone suggested asking for a sleeve to be measured as I had lymph nodes removed and they recommended not doing any exercise without this. However when asking breast cancer nurses I am not getting any answers. Any ideas anyone?
Angel62

Awh thank you Optimissy64 really appreciate the advice. I’m like you and just get on with stuff and hate not being able to lol. I listen to my body and rest when needed but need to get back to some form of normality. How do you get the free DVD I’m not much good at finding my way round this site lol.
You take care hun
Angel62 x

Hi Angel

I’ve always been a fit and active person. Before diagnosis I was in the gym, yoga and combat classes 4-5 times a week.

I was diagnosed in September 2014 and had a mastectomy with immediate implant and 27 lymph nodes removed (26 positive). I returned to yoga after 3 weeks and continued 5 times a week throughout chemo. After chemo I returned to combat for a while before needing more surgery because of implant problems. Once all settled down I have been back at yoga, swimming, aquarobics, dog walking and horse riding!

I had a DIEP reconstruction 3 weeks ago and it’s driving me nuts not being able to do much this time. I’m stretching and walking but intend to return to yoga, Pilates, Aqua and swimming as soon as I can drive.

I think a lot depends on your level of activity before treatment but you must take it slowly and build up the exercise.

Regarding the sleeve, I was advised that you only need one if you are diagnosed with lymphodema. I did have some hand and arm swelling after my first implant was removed and got a sleeve. But when the final implant was put in the lymphodema went away probably because the muscle and tissue, which had been bunched up, was stretched again allowing lymph to flow freely.

For the DVD and other resources go to the main site and select from the menu:
Information & support
Download & order publications
Browse & order
Filter - health & wellbeing

Good luck
Dawn x

Awh thank you so much Dawn for this information. I will check without now. I used to walk or jig every day so I started a running club the other night with my friend and was really surprised I did considering what I have been through the last 4 months. Defo going to continue with this. Thank you for the advise re the sleeve. Someone also advised to wait a dull 6 months before low weight bearing exercises…so bring on the New Year…fresh start

Angel62 x

After all that folks…the DVD is no longer available ???

No probs x