Getting my self in a bit of a state

Hi, I went to see the nurse a week ago as i have had a lump for about 6 months but i don’t like to worry people and as my husband couldn’t find it i thought that it was in my head, well nurse said that yes there is a lump and need to go and see the dr which i did on wednesday this week she said yes there is a lump and it is about 2cm hospital phoned me that afternoon and i go on monday have they made this early because i am holiday on thursday for a week or is it because they are worried??? Also i am getting a lot of pain in my left arm and shoulder it feels i my arm is a dead weight sometimes, lump is in the left breast should i mention to the dr or will this just be wasting there time telling them this, Sorry getting my self in a bit of a state about it. please can any one let me know what they think. :~)

Sorry to hear that you have had to be referred to the breast clinic, it’s a very worrying time and the waiting for appointments is horrendous. I think the fact that you are going on holiday is the most likely reason for your quick appointment. Do mention the pain in the shoulder and the dead arm - if it’s irrelevant then no harm done.

I won’t say don’t worry cos we all do, but remember that 9 out of 10 lumps turn out not to be cancerous. At this stage it’s also best not to do too much research into breast cancer cos there is so much information, a lot of it very very frightening, and it’s way too easy to read too much and scare yourself rigid.

Let us know how you get on and I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the all clear.

Hi Marina

referring to your title - you are bound to be getting yourself in a bit of a state. This can be a worrying time, with so much going through your head.

Under current guidelines depending on the symptoms you are presenting with you have to be seen within a certain time period. It may be that your GP has referred you as an urgent case. When you do go, I would ensure that you tell them all the symptoms that you have had, so that they have a clear picture of the situation.

You have to stop telling yourself that you are wasting their time/worrying them - this is your body, and it is important that it gets the best treatment.

I hope you get on ok on Monday, do you know what tests they will be doing on Monday? - please keep posting and let us know

Margaret x

Hi Mariana,
Its good that you are being checked on Monday and of course it does mean that you should be able to go away knowing that the lump has been checked.
I would certainly tell them everything that you have mentioned above, about the pain in the shoulder and the arm. It is certainly not a waste of time. You will be providing extra info which may help in the diagnosis.
When I went along to the doctors having discovered a tiny cyst I marked it with felt tip pen in case they couldn’t find it!!!
All the best for Monday do let us know how you get on won’t you.
Magsi x

Thank you for your kind words, I will put a mark with a felt tip just in case they can’t find it that is a good idea Magsi thank you.
I just don’t know anything about breast cancer as not had to deal with that cancer in my family, we have skin cancer and non hodgkin’s lymphome which my father died of 3 years ago. Not knowing if 2cm is small for a lump, but anyway just have to wait and see.
They have said that i could be at the hospital for about 3 hours, my husband has taken the day of work to take me. I am going to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.
Marina x

Try not to worry too much Marina, which is much easier said than done.
I knew nothing about bc before I was diagnosed then suddenly it became a steep learning curve.
You may find it easier to take on informtion as and when you need it. It can be overwhelming and quite scary to read too much.
I am really glad that your husband is able to go along with you for support on Monday. Its good to have another person with you, if only to take in what you are being told, which can go over your head at the time.
Some people find it helpful to take a notebook along with questions they want to ask, or to write down things they are told.
Magsi x

To be honest how a nurse can give you a size of lump as well as the time it has been there is beyond me. Only a mamo and scan can do this so i wouldnt go on the things nurse says till you get the test hun could be smaller or a cyst

Good luck

joanne

Hope you are ok Marina.

the mags girls have given good advice - don’t frighten yourself unduly - be gentke on yourself over the weekend

take care j