Getting slightly concerned

Am now 4wks post op, after mx & anc (8/22) and diagnosis confirmed as ILC grade 2/3. Am waiting to have my first appt with Onc on Wed nxt week and still have no idea when chemo due to start. After speaking to one of the BC nurses I got the impression could be waiting a further 2wks+ after appt before anything happens. Is it normal to take this long?
Can anyone give me an idea of what’ll happen during the appt as well? Are there any questions I should be asking? Will they do anymore tests? Already had bone & CT scans done & thankfully they showed clear of being anywhere else, for now at least. As far as I know heart scan also showed I’m good to go. Is there anything I could be doing to prepare either for the chemo or the lovely SE’s this is going to bring? I try not to think too much about these as I know the benefits should out-weigh them in the long run.

I’m feeling totally unprepared, or maybe it’s just the total fear setting in for what’s coming next!!

This is probably half of what I was going to ask, but I’m sure there’s somewhere more appropriate to post the rest. If there’s any advice anyone can offer, it would be very much appreciated. Many thanks xx

Hi Frenchfrancy, all the waiting is horrible isn’t it? I had my op on 22 march and started chemo on 1 may. When I met with the onc they explained the process or having bloods beforehand etc, ran through all the potential SEs and i signed the on sent form, i also of taken to see the chemo ward which was glad for as I cried by felt more prepared when I actually started. Didn’t get start date then, they wrote ith that. The waiting is the worst, I had my last chemo yesterday and although have had bad days it had boot been as bad as I feared and indeed a lot of h stuff I bought in preparation is still unopened in the cupboard! When yo get your date join the thread for people starting that month, the support yo get from others is great and makes you realise you are not alone! Good luck with it xx

Hi There. All your concerns are normal. It’s the fear of the unknown and waiting that makes us anxious. I too had an mx and ANC and started chemo nearly 9 weeks after. I’m now halfway through and I lie if I said it was a breeze but its all doable.
Everything will be explained at your onc appointment and your meeting with the chemo nurses then you’ll begin to feel more on control. Take care and good luck
Emma xx

Hi,
Just to reassure you, I had surgery 12th December 2012 but didn’t start chemo until 5th February. My first appointment with onco was basically to see if I was willing to have chemo, and sign the papers, which told me what regime I would be on (Fec-T). I wasn’t aware I had the choice seeing as how I was Grade 3, with nodes affected - and I didn’t know it then, also vascular Invasion!!!
Shortly after that appointment I got a letter inviting me to our chemo day case ward. They explained how things worked, gave me my start date and I also had my blood test. Two days later I was having my first chemo.
Here is a link to a list of top tips for chemo, on the chemo thread:
breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/top-tips-help-get-you-through-chemotherapy
Wishing you well
Poemsgalore xxx

Thank you all for replies. It has helped to put my mind at rest a little. I have always been under the impression that time is of the essence regards treatments so its good to know its one less thing I should be worrying about. Will be more at ease I think once I’ve seen the Onc in a couple of days & have a plan set out in front of us. I have always been the sort of person who likes to know what’s happening so one if the hardest things I’m finding is how little control I have over what’s going on right now. It’s been very upsetting but am slowly realising that I have to adapt on a day to day basis & can no longer plan things, at least for a while anyway. One thing 2 of you mentioned was the visit to the ward beforehand which I hadn’t even thought about. It sounds like a really good thing to do so the shock factor isn’t quite so overwhelming. Am also finding the worries over SE’s are starting to grab hold and am dreading them more each day. Thank you for the link as well poemsgalore, very useful and I’m sure will be invaluable in the coming weeks & months. Have also now found a thread for September start on chemo so will not be doing this alone.
Best wishes to you all
xxx

Hi FF - I was diagnosed in May 2011 and faced everything you face now and I got through it all as you will!