cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigs and chemo ? Advice please

20 REPLIES 20
whiskers2013

Re: Gigs and chemo ? Advice please

Hi Rowan, so glad to hear you've come out the other end of your treatment and managed to keep a small bit of normality 😄 I'm finished now also (appart from recon) and am certainly making up for lost time and opened my own nightclub/live music venue this year. Very hard work but this is my life and I'm taking it back 😄 Oohh @sisterphonetica I would of loved to have seen Kate Bush but didn't get the time 😞 hope you have an amazing time 😄
Rowan44

I have now finished the active phase of my treatment chemo and radiotherapy all done now , I managed to go to quite a few gigs during my treatment I felt tired sometimes but was still able to enjoy seeing bands and friends I had no ill effects from going and in the main timed them to be on the "good week "
sisterphonetica

My Oncology Nurse is positively encouraging me to travel from Glasgow to London to see Kate Bush! I'll be on day 24 though as my chemo schedule isn't quite on track due to some issues with appointments at the beginning. SO, it's worked out nicely. Once in a lifetime!

southpool

hi fellow gig goers. I thought I would post & let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Last year I went to the 3 day Sound City Festival in Liverpool 6 months after finishing chemo & lasted to 11pm each night. This year 12 months on I have managed to stay out until 2am each day & seen over 21 bands!!

Hang on in there girls it gets better!

S x

Stelwah

Great to read this thread, thanks all. Am booked to go to Download festival for the day and also gig in Milton Keynes Bowl in July, crossing everything I'll feel well enough to go as just had my chemo extended from 6 rounds to 8. Agree entirely that you still have to try and live as normal a life as you can, whilst balancing not putting yourself at too much infection risk.
rosie14

Good for you! I amhoping to fly from Cyprus(home) to UK to see my 93 year old father in two weeks. I have had one session and due for 2nd next Thursday. The worse thing for me has been the tiredness. I will be wearing a facemask on the plane and have my antibac wipes ready. The oncologist said he would give me a course of antibiotics to take with me.
Rowan44

An update 🙂 I had my third FEC just over a week ago , by Wed I was almost back to normal with good energy levels and few side effects there was a 3 day festival that we wanted to go to in Wales , I had already paid ( it was sorted before my diagnosis ) we hung off saying for sure that I would'nt  go as treatment was so close. I took the plunge and upgraded to VIP passes so we were able to sit close to the stage and get a good view . I have had an excellent time enjoyed seeing friends and also went to the beach before the bands started so fresh air as well ! 

I made sure I rested when I could and had a wonderful time, it gave me a much needed boost to be able to go 🙂

Nicola6

Hi I was an August Maisie but unfortunately didn't have the same experience as other replies first 3 were ok but after that going to gigs etc was a definite no no, I didn't have the energy and was too ill, finished chemo in December followed by rads at end of jan and still couldn't think about it , so although you have to stay positive and want to carry on your life as much as possible just be aware everyone is different and the chemo does build up so don't be disappointed if you can't go but good luck and hope your one of the lucky ones xxx
Rowan44

Thank you Southpool yes on my third week after my first course I felt back to normal and so now we are looking at various options to see some bands that fit in with a week three slot ! Thanks for your comments life does go on and I need to be as normal as possible through treatment and beyond 🙂 whatever that is xx
southpool

Hi

I am an April 2012 chemo bunny & regular gig goer. I regularly went to gigs at small & large venues during chemo. It did find I needed to sit down as my treatment went on. I went to Festival N6 3 weeks after my last FECT & managed fine, dancing into the early hours. It was important to me to maintain normality & not feel deprived, so would recommend going for it. Two years on from diagnosis & I go to more gigs than ever, if it looks even vaguely interesting I go!

Good luck.

s x

whiskers2013

Hi Rowan, I'm the same as piggsy and finished 6 fec-T November 12th and finished 15 rads January 4th. Haven't posted for a while but always pop by to see how everyones doing 🙂 I'm an events manager and promoter by profession so the need to attend gigs was a must for me also. I even managed to put on a local outdoor Rock festival halfway through my chemo. I found it important to continue with my life and who I am as much as possible. I think ultimately it kept me sane 😄 I think as long as your sensible then hell to it, we need our treats and having something to look forward to gives you a boost 🙂
piggsytrotter

Hi Rowan

I'm a July Junkie and was on FEC-T, had last dose on 8 Nov. I must admit that I didn't ever take any special precautions against infection and I was fine. I went to a couple of gigs/concerts, one at Bristol Hippodrome and another an open air event with portaloos. I was fine.

I was extremely lucky, the worst side effect I had was fatigue. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do a festival with camping but really can't see a problem with gigs/concerts. OK so you don't know what germs people sitting around you may have, but you could say the same about walking down a crowded street.

I chose to ignore the fact I had cancer and lived my life as normally as possible, and was able to do most things that I wanted. I had to dip out of a few evenings out with friends towards the end because I felt so tired, but that was about it. It is cumulative, so maybe try and fit gigs in during the first 4 cycles. The tiredness did carry on for about 5 weeks after last dose.

Some people seem to be more prone to infection than others, but I was told that because I was fit at the start of the treatment I would probably be OK, and they were right, so fingers crossed you are too.

Rowan44

Yay 🙂 thanks I was hoping to get a response from someone that had done it ! Good to hear.What chemo regime were you on ? I on FEC -T I am day 13 after my first course and apart from feeling tired haven't had much side effects so obviously thinking that a gig is doe able shame I can't find one next week they all seem to be March and April at present . Good point about being able to sit if you need to x
whiskers2013

Hi Rowan, I too am a massive gig goer. I did go to a few gigs but made sure it was in the 3rd week when my blood count was at its best. I did miss out on a few gigs in my bad week's but didn't want to chance it. I just stayed out of the pit and at my last gig the lovely venue staff let me sit in the VIP section as I was a bit weak and they had ran out of seats 😄 depending on venue may be worth calling them and seeing if you can go in the disabled area as these tend to be less crowded and have available seating if like me you struggle to stand for long periods 😄
Rowan44

yes Ro21 I felt ok after my first FEC  well enough to go to one  which put the idea back on the table and hence why I am asking others what you all think , I dont want to take unnecessary risks tho but have heard that people have gone to concerts etc while having chemo .

the devil is in the detail would have to hope that the gigs dont sell out and take it that I may not feel well enough to go

Ro21

Interesting dilemma, presumably you need to buy the tickets well in advance.
I'm on FEC-T 3+3 and have just had the 1st T on 3/2/14. Whilst having the FEC I would say I felt well enough to go no problem but since having T completely the opposite. Everyone experiences different side effects and they also change with different cycles of the same drugs.
Eating/drinking as well as possible, avoiding other infectious situation, use of hand sanitisers I think I probably would take the chance but be prepared to leave/move if I felt it was necessary. I'd also accept that if I felt unwell I might have to not go even if I'd got a ticket so I'd make sure there were more than 2 of us going so I didn't feel I was spoiling someone else's night . X
Rowan44

Yes it is i hope i can get the balance right lol , I was interested to hear the BCN said avoid seated gigs and cinema .. Mine hadn't really offered up an opinion apart from general stay away from crowded places advice
skinnyminx

It's like a balancing act isn't it?  Trying to stay sane and not go completely stir crazy whilst trying to maximise the benefits of the treatment.

Rowan44

Thanks yes I have a flu jab every year and have had the pneumonia one too . I do feel a bit housebound and paranoid at present not sure what I can and can't do but can't imagine 6 months of no gigs at all . Like you say tho it don't want to have an infection or delay treatment
skinnyminx

I guess it all depends on your attitude to risk and I agree it's important to carry on doing stuff you enjoy.

Personally I had FEC-T during the winter when seasonal flu/swine flu and colds were at their height (a few years ago).  I went out during my third week after each chemo session as I was advised that's when my immunity should be strongest.  However I always armed myself with a bottle of hand sanitiser.  I didn't go anywhere particularly crowded, rather I did things like lunching with friends where I knew that if anyone had a cold they had the good grace to stay away.  Apart from that, I largely stayed indoors at home.  It all felt a bit 'paranoid' (and boring) at the time but it paid off as I'm pleased to say I got through chemo without contracting any bugs so each session went ahead as planned with no delays which was good - and I'm still hear, several years later. 

Interestingly my BCN did warn against 'seated only' events such as seated concerts, cinema, theatre, as you have no control over who may be sitting around you, how much of streaming cold they have at the time and how many germs they breathe/sneeze over you in the course of a 2-hour film for example.  If you went to an event where you can move around that might actually be preferable.  Just a thought.

By the way I presume you've had at least one flu jab (I had two, which was the protocol for chemo patients during that season). 

All the best, try to enjoy yourself whatever you decide.

Rowan44

Gigs and chemo ? Advice please

Hi ,

taking a bit of a straw poll here , I am on FEC-T chemo had my first dose 11 days ago

I am a bit of a rock chick love going to live concerts and there are a few coming up in the next few months I don't want to miss ....

I know we chemo folks need to be extra careful in crowded places  but I wanted to know if anyone went to anything like a rock concert  or is it too risky ??? Guess it depends where in the cycle I am in terms of immunity

I need to do things that make me happy and this is the main thing I do

thinking of small venues or seated only concerts

would appreciate any advice those who have been through this thanks

Rowan44