1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glasgow/Ayrshire area

Re: Glasgow/Ayrshire area

Welcome Lynn!

Are you having chemo at Beatson? They are lovely there and will look after you well. Feel free to PM me about treatment there if you want to. Hope your side effects (SEs) are small ones.

If you feel up to it, you'd be very welcome at our lunch on 25th Feb, though this may well be a chemo week for you, so will understand if you can't. Otherwise, feel free to leave messages on this thread any time and we'll meet you once chemo is done.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
would it be ok for me to join this forum? i am new to all this starting my chemo on Thursday live in Dunbartonshire area ??

Like the new pic Margaret, your hair's looking nice.
S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

It's on my calendar! Thanks,
Margaret x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks from me too. See you all then.

Lynn

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheers for booking it Revcat, looking forward to it. Al x

Thanks Cat, all sounding good. As you are now demonstrating some excellent organisational skills I feel my role as planner-in-chief may be in jeopardy 🙂 This can only be a good thing as people often refer to p-ups in breweries when I start arranging anything.

S
X

OK ladies! We are booked in at Soho for Sat 25th Feb at 1:30, in my (real) name ... except they spelled my first name the Welsh way not the Scottish way on the email... what's that about?! Nearer the date will PM round details.

PS Wonder if we could copy the Shropshire girls idea and bring our diaries with us so we can book the next date at when we're together?

Guest user
Not applicable

Sounds good to me too, thanks Cat.

Looking forward to it.

Emma x

A few PMs later and our list is now...

RevCat
Sheil
Lynvee
Bonnielass/Emma
Scottdolly
Bob/Al
Gordok/Karen
MaryM/Margaret
Lizz/Biff
jreedy/Jo
Ray

Definite maybes
Anne Marie
Caroline M
Lorna

Unknown yet

00Jan

So, if no change by tomorrow evening, I'll book for 12 people at Soho for 1:30pm on 25 Feb... will think of a suitable codename!!!

(Edit 4/2/12 to add Ray to list)

Ab fine with me Cat. I think I even remember where it is.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Sounds great to me, cheers Cat.

Al x

Sounding like Soho ticks most of the boxes... inexpensive, veggie options and fizz for those who wish it (the soft drinks were fine too!) plus they don't seem to worry if we linger... shall we opt for that if no one says otherwise?

Tell you what... if no other suggestions in 48 hours I'll bite the bullet and book it! I've PMed some others further back up the list to see what they think.

Guest user
Not applicable

Somewhere that does fizzy stuff sounds good to me too Lynn! Here’s a couple of menus for people who haven’t been to these places before -

Menus for Soho http://www.sohoglasgow.com/menus/adm.php which is on Miller St. They have a “2 course and a cocktail” menu for £12.95., or an express lunch menu (2 courses for £6.95 or 3 courses for £8.95).

And for La Vita which has also been suggested a couple of times:
http://www.lavitapizzeria.co.uk/uploads/PDF/TM_Lavita_George%20Sq%20Glasgow.pdf

Sorry if the links don't work but google Soho and La Vita and I'm sure you'll find them!

If anyone has a preference or doesn’t like the look of these menus, speak out! I can’t even remember what I had to drink at Soho last time (presumably too much!), but I’m sure they will have something with a bit of sparkle. We probably need a decisive person to decide on a venue and book it. Who is feeling decisive? 1.30pm, for 10ish people?

Hope you're having a better week Sheil. Last week was a nightmare for me too, so I'm hoping that this one is better for us all! And look forward to seeing you at a Glasgow lunch soon Lulu (and at an Edinburgh one even sooner!) – hope your last chemo hasn’t been too nasty to you.

The list for the 25th again. If anyone else wants to add their name to it, please do!

RevCat
Sheil
Lynvee
Bonnielass/Emma
Scottdolly
Bob/Al
Gordok/Karen
MaryM/Margaret
Lizz/Biff
jreedy/Jo

Al x

Paul is the name of the manager at soho. And yup cat barca was our first meet... Think if there's 8 or over you have a set menu... But they do cava!

Enjoy ladies I'm looking forward to joining you all sometime soon xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies - I'll go anywhere really, but if at all possible i'd kinda not like to do weatherspoons, only because the veggie stuff isn't too great and they don't do a sparkly. If we're considering costs then i thought soho was big value - happy to go with the flow.

Lynn
x

Hi Sheil

Re: Stobhill... alas not, would have liked to but impossible with pre-existing work commitments.

Re: Princes Sqaure, I wondered if Barca (tapas and cava) might be a possible? Seems to be fairly British cuisine despite its name... so good for you lushes 😉 and OJs for me!! Good offer via 5pm when I looked yesterday.

Am also very happy enough with Wetherspoons - think you can book, and usually they don't seem too bothered how long you stay so long as you are spending money!

EDIT: Just read back over the thread and Barca was, I think, the first place you went? Some menu restrictions for groups evidently...

Hi Cat and all

We did go to a Princes Square place the first time I came for lunch, the name is not tripping off my tongue though. I was too busy blethering to remember what the food was like. Anyone else??

Any thoughts on the Wetherspoon's Counting House just off George Square, they are always pretty cheap, but this one can be very busy and not sure if we could book. We could always try the 'cancer card' she said half-jokingly?????

I still am OK with anywhere as long as it has wine, especially as I'm now restricting my intake to weekends only!! Just thought it might be worth considering for cost purposes.

And just wondering if anyone here is going on the Moving Forwards thing starting Thursday at Stobhill??

S
X

Enjoy your party Lulu!

Jo - be great to see you.

Just wondered if anyone knows any of the places in Princes Square (off Buchanan St) about half way between Central and Queen St? http://www.princessquare.co.uk/standard.asp?p=1239 I think some have offers via 5pm.com or whatever it's called! Not the cheapest but with deals probably OK?

Guest user
Not applicable

That sound great. I have a 40th bday party that night but could come along for a few hrs in the afternoon. I will keep u posted.

Jo x

I'm a def no for 25th... Got an engagement party the same day so think I'm going to that instead, but hopefully see you all next time.

Have fun.

Lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Don't mind where we go (not fussy with my food!) but as long as it's not too far from the station and if possible fairly inexpensive as I am watching the pennies!

Sheil, feel exactly the same re friends. My family have been great and continue to support me through all of the mammos and appts but one friend in particular has been pretty rubbish. I get the feeling that since my treatment is nearly over (herceptin in my case) that she feels it is the end of the process and the empathy and support can cease. Eh no! For me it feels like just the start of it, with all of the emotional/psycological stuff (and in some cases still physical) going on. This is where all of the worry and uncertainty begins. Very hard!

Looking forward to seeing you all again though, and some new faces as well.

Emma x

Guest user
Not applicable

Cat - I've edited your list to add Biff/Lizz as I think she can make it too. So we're at something between 9 and 12 people? Any more thoughts on a venue anyone?

RevCat
Sheil (venue fixer in chief)
Lynvee
Bonnielass/Emma
Scottdolly
Bob/Al
Gordok/Karen
MaryM/Margaret
Lizz/Biff

jreedy/Jo?

Maybe Lulu
Maybe 00Jan

Al x

Hi Sheil, hope this week's better for you.... seems a lot of us have bc anniversaries around now one way and another so definitely a good time for a get together

So, being bossy boots that I am, I think the current list for 25th Feb is:

RevCat
Lynvee
Bonnielass/Emma
Scottdolly
Bob/Al
Gordok/Karen
MaryM/Margaret
jreedy/Jo

Maybe Lulu
Maybe 00Jan

Others?

Hi from me too Jo
Please come - it is good to get together with others going through the same thing. I am realising they are the only ones who really understand.

My sisters are normally quite understanding, but we went out for dinner on Friday and as well as just having first year mammo which I'd just had results, I was feeling a wee bit more sensitive than usual. Results were fine but I read here about all the lobulars that are missed on mammos so still a bit unconvinced.

Having just come back from weekend in Madrid which was nice but spoiled somewhat by my really sore feet and joints - side effect of aromatase inhibitors - but means that BC was in my head the whole time - when I mentioned the joint pain one of them said - don't you think its just your age, I have sore knees too!

Aye well...... I'm just a hypochondriac really.

I also get the feeling that they prefer to think I'm all better now too and are not helluva interested.

I'm certainly having an off week - hope I'm a bit cheerier by our gettogether.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jo. We're meeting next on the 25th Feb. Would be great if you could come along. Not sure where we're going yet but somewhere for lunch and drinks, probably at 1.30pm. Al x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi folks

When are u meeting next? Would love to come and join u as I am struggling a bit and think just having a chat with others that understand would help. I find friends and family no longer want to talk about it as I am ment to be 'better' now. It certainly doesn't feel like it is over.

Regards jo x

Thanks Lulu, you are, as ever, a star.

Hope your final chemo goes OK for you and that you feel more like you again soon. Maybe we need a 'central belt' gathering in Stirling at some point where the two 'clans' can meet properly? Or is that just me showing my English ignorance?!

Just bumping ths for jreedy as Jo is looking for support in t glasgow area.

Lu x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Karen, and welcome! It will be good to meet you at the next lunch.
La Vita looks like its pretty handy for the stations and I think it was suggested by Lulu for one of the lunches last year but we ended up going somewhere else. So might be worth a try? I think La Vita only give you 2 hours from the booking time (?), but we can always move on for drinks somewhere else if we need more time.

Other ideas for places to eat: the place we went to last but one was another Italian (Soho, on Miller St) and they didn’t seem to mind that we stayed there for hours and hours and hours. Or there’s the other places we’ve been to before - Browns, on George Square and Barca in Princes Square (tapas/cava bar). Or somewhere new....which is where I get stuck cos I’m not from Glasgow!

Any other takers?

Al x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies, I'm new to joining you but I will be there. There is a restaurant just at george square next to queen street station called la vita, the food is lovely, its over three floors. I'm sure you could find on internet. There is loads around that area. Rev cat, love ur picture, I look forward to meeting you all, karen x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think Liz/biff is hoping to come too. I guess once we've decided on a venue and got a rough idea of numbers, we can always adjust the numbers up or down nearer the time. I can have a wee look on internet later and see if I can come up with any potential venues to help out the venue fixer aka sheil! Anyone else got any thoughts? Al x

Soundind good for the Feb meet...

RevCat
Lynvee
Bonnielass/Emma
Scottdolly
Bob/Al
Gordok/Karen
MaryM/Margaret

Maybe Lulu

Who've I missed?

Do we need to PM 00Jan or others?

(Edit - name errors corrected)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Happy New Year to everyone! Just to say count me in for the meeting in Feb, would love to come along, all being well.

Hope everyone had a great festive season and will hopefully see you all soon.

Cat, you are looking great!

Again, as others have said, if any ladies from elsewhere in the Central belt would like to join us - you would be made very welcome! I know there are some more Stirlingshire ladies out there somewhere??!!!

Emma x

Looking good cat x

My oh my, that is a style!! You are looking fab. Like the pose 'with attitude' too!

lol Sheil, the curls are no more - chopped off this morning in favour of what the nice man called 'a style'... I posted the picture by request from another thread, new one again tomorrow.

Margaret nice to 'hear' your voice and hope to see you soon

Oh Cat look at you! Nice hair!

And hi again Margaret, would be great to see you again.

S
x

Guest user
Not applicable

25th should be OK
Margaret x x x

I was going to say we 'even let Edinburgh people in' but didn't want to get done for sectarianism 🙂

Good point Sheil & Bob. I've just tried to change the thread title but don't know if it will revert back next time someone posts?

Guest user
Not applicable

Indeed Sheil, I sneaked in on the Glasgow lunches despite being an east coaster! And there are ladies from Stirling and other central belt places who come too. I just get the train across from Edinburgh. All welcome! X

Also - should we highlight that its not just for Glasgow/Ayrshire people, but for anybody who can make it to Glasgow on a Saturday lunchtime.

S

Guest user
Not applicable

Hoping the date will be ok for me,

Lynn

Guest user
Not applicable

Bumping to see if anyone else can make that date.

Hope you're feeling ok Lulu.

Al xx

You just go ahead and I'll see how I am.... don't know how I'm gonna feel when Chemo is finished but will try and make when iv finished at some point

Lxxxx

Hi Lulu
Would you feel up to it at another date, a bit earlier or later, I'm sure we could change it at this early stage, or would you just prefer to wait until you've got the chemo well behind you?

Hope you're feeling not toooo yuck at the moment.

S
X

Happy New Year to you all......will prob be able to make the 25th... Location I am easy with..I know you have previously met in Browns which is good distance wise from the stations....glad you came back posting Rev Cat as a bit of a lurker I always read your very sensible and comforting posts xxx

Christine I see there is an Aberdeen thread I know that's still pretty far from Inverness but think much closer than Glasgow or Edin.... But not sure if they have ever met or are planning to but here's the link....
http://share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/anyone-in-westhill-aberdeenshire--t34518.html

There is a forum for younger women in Glasgow (well Cumbernauld) for women between 20 and 45 and it's excellent it's for two days and they put you up in a lovely hotel with pool and sports facilities and provide a yummy dinner as well as support from women in a similar situation and very useful workshops covering things like reconstruction, fertility, intimacy, lymph oedema, menopause etc it's on fri 23-sat 24 march.... Here's more info for you and any of the other Glasgow girls....
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/information-support-sessions/younger-women...

Prob won't make 25th feb as will onky be a couple of weeks after last Chemo but should be fit and well for the one after that hopefully

Lulu x

Hi Karen
Be great to have you at next gathering, wherever it is. Sorry you've joined the gang though.

Christine, hope you can find a wee gang to get together, it really is nice to hang out with folk in similar situations. Shame you're so far away.

S
X