339280posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back for 2nd appt - help needed

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Going back for 2nd appt - help needed

Umph - yeah, we all rely on medical people expecting and trusting them all  to know best. After having already had a mastectomy 8 months before, I'd felt a small lump in my other breast. The ultrasound nurse was dismissive saying it was just a group of cysts and nothing to worry about - my consultant, however, wasn't so dismissive - thankfully, as it resulted in another mastectomy.   

I'm glad too that you persisted. It may just be calcium deposits. But better to err on the side of caution. We sometimes have to put our foot down with medics if we have the confidence and nowse to question them.

Hope you stay okay, Delly xx

Highlighted

I'm so glad you persevered. It would have been easy to go away and worry needlessly. A good outcome.

H

Hi Thank you all
I have been back and saw the consultant himself and not his registrar....... He apologised for her behaviour and stated that she was no longer on oncology!!!!!!!!!!!
He spent a long time explaining and reexamining, the outcome was that although my breast looks like it may have pagets there are not enough symptoms and no lump so I have to keep an eye on it and go back if needed......it may just be ageing :-(
He did state that his registrar should not have been dismissive and definitely should not have fobbed me off with going to Boots and getting evening primrose oil
So at this time I can breathe a sigh of relief

Hi and sorry for not replying to you sooner. I hope you have managed to get another appointment or to speak to the helpline. Please don't think you are overreacting or being a pain. Your symptoms are understandably worrying and its worth pushing to get confident in their diagnosis.

Dear H

I am sorry that you havent had any response to this post and hope that you are doing OK.  If you would like to talk to someone about any concerns or worries, or you have any questions, please do give our fantastic Support line a call, 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

H

Going back for 2nd appt - help needed

Hi I was referred by Gp for urgent 2 wk appt.... I have dimpling around my left nipple,the skin feels crusty and it itches.my nipple feels like it is being pulled in and is painful. I also have lumps in my upper right breast
I went and had a mammogram and ultrasound and was seen by a surgical registrar
I was told I had dense breasts and it was my age..... I'm 47......it was probably eczema and to moisturise!!!!!!!!
My mammogram showed lots of white with s clump in the centre on my left breast
The registrar did not fill Me with confidence as she kept asking about periods even though I told her several times I had a hysterectomy 10yrs ago
Long shot is they sent me away saying I had nothing to worry about
I called the following day and spoke to nurse who has insisted I go back
I feel they will think I'm being a bit of a pain
I am convinced this isn't just an age thing
Anyone else had this......I really need some guidance..... Having s bit of a wobble :-S