Had my biopsy on 14th February and results on 17th, I saw surgeon on 26th and they were going to book me in for following Tuesday. We had already unlocked a short break to Brean (Sun break cheaply), so was allowed to go and had my surgery on 17th March. Some years ago my sister had similar and holiday fell during her chemo and they worked around her. I have a cruise booked for end of September so hopefully every thing will be finished by then. Still need to sort holiday insurance for June and September but hopefully ok as with Barclays bank however they wouldn't cover me for thyroid cancer.
Hi holiday ladies, I got a booklet from ?Macmillan re holiday insurance and it has a list of local numbers attached. Perhaps this is available elsewhere. I'm in Newcastle, Tyne.
I have holidays booked and informed them when I had my biopsy, was told that any treatment would be worked around holidays. Know I have to have radiotherapy so hoping I I will start that by middle of May or it will have to wait till I return from holidays. Still waiting to see ontology so don't know if they will want to do oncotype school test.
re travel insurance - I searched on a couple of comparison sites specifically for people with pre-existing medical conditions - think I went with AllClear but there were quite a few. I had three medical conditions to tell them about - BC, Peutz Jeghers syndrome (a genetic condition) and anxiety and depression and the quote came back at about £35 for a week in Madeira inc cancellation cover. My partner has travel insurance through his bank account and they said something like an extra £70 to provide cover for me. It does all depend on different aspects such as whether the cancer has spread, stage of treatment etc but there are a lot of companies out there doing cover.
I would also say go on holiday if you possibly can - usually a few weeks doesn't make much difference and, as someone else said, it can take that amount of time to get test results, the MDT to come up with a treatment plan etc. Let us know how you get on x
Hi Lou, do you know who your holiday insurance was which through your travel agent?
We need insurance for June but have been told by insurers they will not quote until 3 weeks after my chemo has finished and it all feels like such a rip off. Almost like they are dong me some kind of favour!!
Thanks - Lou xxxxx
Hi AnnieA, my consultant told me to go on holiday. She said it would be better to worry in the sunshine than here. She also said to build myself up for the future - in hindsight for the crap that was to come. She was right as the days were very busy and the nights, when the worry goblins come out, manageable . I had a month away. Pathology took 2 weeks, and the team meeting was the following week, so I would be hanging around anyway. Went without insurance but it was in the EU. I am unable to get any cover to visit my son in Arizona who wants to pay for my airfare there before treatment starts. Hope this helps. Good luck. X