Insurance is a minefield. BCC have a list of reasonable companies but they all expect you to have a letter from your team stating you are fit to travel or having it written in your hospital or GP's notes....enjoy yourself. When I was a nurse lots of my ladies went on holiday pre treatments.
I had an insurance policy with Saga, phoned to declare my BC surgery and they are saying they won't cover my holiday. I am so annoyed. I am healed, the BC had not spread. I am going to have chemo and rads when I get back, but that is my choice to go ahead with them. Have had to take out another insurance policy with insure Pink. Grrrrrr.......
If you already have insurance then you should be covered. It's only going to be expensive if you need to take out a new policy. USA hols are more expensive than the rest of the world because of the cost of healthcare there - so a short trip to Turkey shouldn't be too bad, even if you need to insure now. If you are taking out a new policy I'd advise you to make it cover everything including things related to the cancer - because you can bet they will try to find a loophole to say a health issue is cancer related if they can.
Hi S - you sound as though your holiday is doing for you exactly what I want for me and the family! I have annual insurance with Saga so hopefully will be covered.
am feeling lots more positive after reading posts (yesterday was a really weepy 'why me' day)
thank you Revcat, Chascat, Taurus45, Keyfeatures, Carrie35, mb4658, south pool and Amysmum xx
I went on holiday between chemo and rads - to the USA for my brother-in-law's wedding. It did push my rads back bay 2-3 weeks, but nothing dramatic and the med staff were all supportive of it.
I did take out cover including BC, as I had just started taking tamoxifen and I didn't want the insurance company to try to wriggle out of anything if I broke a leg or what ever and I know hospital treatment in the US is pricey. I ended up insuring with Freedom Travel Insurance, as they were one of the few I found to cover me, although more may have been willing to if I had spoken to them rather than just using the websites.
Definitely go for it - it will do you good to relax in the sun for a week or so.
I finished chemo 6 weeks ago & am currently on holiday in Turkey. My Onc agreed to delay my rads a month for me to come away on a pre booked holiday. I have insurance with my bank & because I booked pre diagnosis I am fully covered for this holiday. I can definitely recommend, the sun shining, the food is fabulous & I am getting lots of rest.
Thank you all so much for your advice. Isn't it rubbish how life throws things like this at you. I never though I would get BC, nobody I know has it, and although I have a good husband and fantastic supportive daughters, I do feel alone at times. It's just not knowing.
Good luck to you all
That was me a year ago - diagnosed 9 Sept 2011 and already had a holiday booked for first week in Oct. Surgeon's first theatre slot was 10 Oct so she encouraged me to still go on holiday; I came home Sat and had op Monday. I told my insurers but said that I didn't want cover extending to cover this diagnosis, as there was nothing likely to happen relating to this, but I still had insurance for other eventualities/baggage/accidents etc. Following SNB and WLE I've had chemo and radio and am now half way through a year's course of Herceptin .... and tamoxifen for good measure too! Have since had another holiday following radiotherapy. If I had the OK from the medical team I'd get yourself somewhere nice ....... it's not going to get any better here! Best of luck with the rest of your treatment.
Hi Kayteeb53 - I squeezed in two holidays before my chemo. It meant delaying the treatment for a bit but it was within a window the oncologist was happy with. Obviously seek advice from your onocologist but I agree it is great to get away. I really enjoyed my holiday and it gave me some mental strength and calmness for the tough times ahead. Good luck with it all and I hope you get the chance to get away for a bit.
I agree with Revcat, check it out first.I was diagnosed in Sept 2010 4 days before I was going away for a month!
Still went, told insurance company, as long as I was covered for anything else.Was so confused got to the airport in my slippers!!
2 years on I am again on holiday this time for 6 weeks dog sitting for friends in Cyprus. It does get better as time goes on.Hope all goes well for you. xxxx
As Revcat says you will be able to go on holiday before rads but expect to pay more prior to finishing treatment. I've just finished chemo and rads and personally chose to wait until all treatment had finished as wanted to be able to draw a line in the sand and not be thinking that I was coming back to more. I used All Clear travel insurance and they were very reasonable x
So sorry you have had to join this club no-one wants to join. I think the short answer is, yes you can have your holiday - but speak to your team to check they are happy about this. You will also need to let your travel insurers know - and may well find either you need to pay extra or they will specifically exclude breast cancer from your cover; some large firms just won't cover you. There are some specialist insurers (insure pink is one) but it's not something I've really looked into, and have only travelled in Europe to places covered by EHIC and with insurance that excludes bc. You may not want to take that (albeit small) risk, and I am not for one moment advocating being foolish.
Hope you get some 'good' news, and are able to get away and have some R&R before the rads begin.