Got a date for reconstruction!!!!

OMG - got a call today from hospital for my reconstruction!! Thursday 19th August!
Am really pleased but also well scared too, didn’t think it would be so soon as don’t have my last Herceptin till 26th July.

I’m going to have a LD flap plus expander implants - if anyone’s got any advice or tips for me that would be fab.

It just feels like the final bit to this horrible jigsaw - hoping can then begin a new “normal” life.
Suz

Brilliant I bet you are excited and nervous. Which hosp are you going into. What kind of reconstruction are you having. Hope all goes well. Take care.

Carolyn x

Hi Suz
I had a LD recon with expander 8 weeks ago and a breast augmentation to my right breast at the same time.
Had saline top up 6 weeks after surgery and due another top up in a month. Am now a 38C/D instead of my former 36a.
Results are wonderful and scarring is fading fast.
Tips - use a satin fitted sheet on your bed. It really worked and will help you move around when you get home. A V shaped pillow is also a good idea. Eat plenty of fruit as painkillers make you constipated.
Had my op on a Wednesday morning and came home on the Sunday. Drain and catheter came out on the Saturday morning.
Surgery took 6 and a half hours and was not without pain but it will be worth it in the end. I now feel and look like me again.
All the very best.
Sue xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sue - glad you are getting on okay after your op - I’m having the same as you - LD plus expander.
Really quite scared but think its the right thing to do.
Great tips - specially the satin sheet - found that a real problem after MX so good tip - glad your stay in hosp not too long.
Didn’t know about the catheter - that sounds quite painful & uncomfortable - was it ok? Can cope with drains but not sure about that - assume you;re not able to get up out of bed hence the catheter? Is that the nor for everyone do you know?

Suz xx

Hi Suz

I have had two LD flaps done - two separate operations for various reasons (I was so pleased with the first, I begged for a second!)

Re: catheterisation
On both occasions I was catheterised because the operations were 3 hours plus each, but this was done when I had been knocked out. Amusingly, on the first LD op I was specifically told to keep my pants on under my gown, and I woke up to find myself catheterised and with my pants neatly placed in a plastic bag - with my ID label on them - on my tummy!

Needless to say, the second time I said I would not go to theatre with them on.

The catheter was not painful at all. In fact, waking up from an op, looking down at two breasts (when before there had been just one for over a year), connected to patient-controlled morphine and being catheterised was utter bliss! And I stayed like that overnight until late morning the following day. Just make sure you drink plenty of water - you will be constantly encouraged to do so.

Re: drains
On both occasions, I had two drains from the front of the breast and two in my back. The front ones came out in a couple of days because they were collecting <30 ml per day. The drains on my back stayed in for 5 and 7 days respectively as they were collecting much more.

The drains are not painful, just a tad uncomfortable, and when I was walking around I had them in a pillowcase. The drain tubes are long enough for you to be able to stand at a basin or in the shower and for the receptacles to just sit on the floor, so there is a fair amount of freedom. And when the drains are taken out, just breathe calmly - I took a massive inhale and then they were removed on the exhale (a bit like giving birth!). And on one occasion I was offered gas and air (again, like having a baby) which I accepted.

I hope the above helps, and I wish you all the very best.

Bubs xx

Oh thanks Bubs for that - think you might have reassured me a bit about the catheter - my consultant hadn’t even mentioned that to me so reading about it on here was a bit of a shock - being a bit dense now but what is the reason behind it? I thought they would want you to be up & mobile asap?

Had drains when i had my mx which was okay - the worse bit was when they removed them, which i really didn’t like - such a strange tugging sensation!

I suppose drains & cathether must fade into insignifcance upon looking down & seeing a breast! I am excited about having it done, but also scared in-case it goes wrong or doesn’t “match” the other one & end up lopsided.

I’m a bit of a worrier at the best of times but hoping longtime this will be the right decission.

Has your shoulder & back been okay? Have you noticed any loss of movement? I do quite a bit of sport so don’t know how thats going to affected after th opp with no back muscle.

Thanks again for you help.

Suz xx

suz,
i had an ld flap, recon and a reduction and uplift on the other side on March 19th. I have no long term problems with shoulder and arm movement and tomorrow i start a rehabilitation programme at the gym just to increase the strength…Im in the police force so cant go back to work until i can prove that the strength is still there.
A V pillow is a must and im not sure i would have coped without mine - take it into hospital with you! I was surprised at how much my back ached in the beginning and it was something that nobody had ever mentioned. I guess it makes sense with them taking a muscle away, just keep a hot water bottle at hand and that made all the difference. Also take the pain killers at regular intervals even if you dont think you need them.
hope it all goes well!!

deed
xx

Suz
I had my ld with implant recon in Feb on a Tues , 3 drains + catheter. Catheter was removed Wednesday and I had a shower. Drains out Thurs, Fri and Sat. Home on Sat. Back still numb and back to almost normal usage with my arm and shoulder.
Its so fantastic to see two boobs instead of 1.
Still waiting to get my implant increased to match other side and will get nipple and tattooing end this or beg next year.
Oh so worth the weeks discomfort - would do it again tomorrow if needed.
Just relax and think of two boobs
Lizziemum

Hi ladies,

When i had my reconstruction in october (ld with expander implant) I was not cathetorised. My consultant even told me before the op he didn’t deem it necessary. Just wonder how many others had the op without having a catheter?
It was also one of my particular worries, but thankfully it didnt happen.
Rosie x

Hi Suz

Hope you have reassurance now and will look forward to the end result.
I only had one drain from the breast. My back is fine and I do not have any problems with movement.
Best of luck. You will not regret it.I am having my other breast lifted to match the recon one to make it more pert!!!
Having nipple recon and tattooing at a later date.
Love
Sue xxxx

Hi Suz

The reason for being catheterised is (a) it is a relatively long operation (my second LD flap lasted about 6-7 hours as there was a minor hitch - nothing for you to worry about, it was something very individual to me) and (b) it is a way for them to monitor your urinary output, which is very important (kidney function)

And although they want you “up and about” asap - (I can vouch for that because the following day two physios were on my case by about 10 a.m. and getting me out of bed after the catheter was removed, which isn’t painful by the way) - it is most welcome just to lie there overnight and not worry about having to get up (for the loo.

No problems whatsoever following both LD flap ops re mobility or back strength. After the first op I was back at dynamic yoga within 2 weeks (a bit of self-physiotherapy!) and back at tennis 2 weeks after that. After this last op in November, I didn’t return to tennis because it was just so cold, but I was back at yoga very rapidly, as before, and can honestly say there is just no difference at all, although we are all very different.

Sadly I cannot return to tennis at the moment because since chemo and being on Tamoxifen my hands are just so exceedingly painful and to grip a racquet would be difficult.

Bubs x

Hi all,
Thanks for all your tips & advise, will definatley get one of these V pillows as lots of you has mentioned that.
Will try to stop worring now about the cathertar, sure it will be okay!
I’ve got about 10 weeks to wait, so will keep you all posted on how it goes! Just can’t wait to have 2 boobs again!

Suz xx

Hi Suz

All the very best. Its great buying pretty bras again.

Sue xxx

I had a LD Flap reconstruction and skin saving mx op in march and was never catherised even though my op took 7 hrs. Had 3 drains when I woke up, but like the others I am very pleased with the result and would recommend it. The only problem I had was a seroma on my back where they took my muscle and fat when still needs draining now but is slowing down and only needs draining every 3 wks instead of every week. Got full movement back very quickly as well.

Hi, also had ld flap without implant and skin sparing mx in feb, 3 drains, which I carried in a large rigid gift bag, good for nervous visitors! Had catheter due to lenghts of op. Did all my post op exercises and had also problem with seroma on my back. Reconstruction is softening now. Very fond of my v shaped pillow. Nipple recon&tatooing and possibly surgery to match the other side to follow. Good luck!