Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granocyte, does it work for you?

7 REPLIES 7
elinda45

Re: Granocyte, does it work for you?

Hi Sandra

the sore mouth and fatigue are not down to just a lowered immune system. Any fast growing cells including those in the mouth and through the gut can be affected. Also don't forget your red blood cells - they will be dropping down too and this can make you feel tired. The blood test you have each time before chemo will also be a check to ensure you're not becoming too anaemic. My red cell count dropped quite a lot over the period I had chemo.
Chemo is a toxin for the body too so that will give you fatigue as well.

The injections are amazing really. I had one time when I was not given it as my consultant was away. I asked to have it but was refused and ended up in hosptial for 5 days with neutropenic sepsis. Any side effects pale into insignificance compared with that!

All that said, it is incredible how our bodies cope and recover.

I hope all your treatment goes well.
Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, Sandra

I wasn't offered an injection for the WBC so didn't know anything about it until you mentioned it. I will be asking when I go for my No. 2 next Thurs. I had bone pain in my thighs but not that bad, no mouth proplems at all apart from the taste buds for the first few days. Hope you don't get any more SE

Love Carol

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sandra,
I had the One dose GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) injection the day after each chemo, the injections are a haematopoietic growth factor it stimulates the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells and are sometimes given to help boost white cells .G-CSF stimulates the bone marrow to make white blood cells more quickly after chemotherapy . This shortens the length of time that you are at risk of developing a serious infection.
The injections did help keep my bloods good and high enough not to have any delays in chemo, but they also use to give me flu like symptoms, unfortunately for me i still suffered quite a lot with mouth problems ,mainly ulcers /and oral thrush ,i also had a couple of throat infections , my mouth problems use to start on day 4 like clockwork , so i soon knew how i would be with each chemo. i had anti biotics for the throat infections, Difflam mouth wash to gargle 8 x a day which helped along with some antifungal lozengers for the oral thrush ,also used Bongela to help with the ulcers. I did try sucking ice throughout chemo infusion but it didnt work for me unfortunately though i know it does for some people.
The injections didnt help me much with the fatigue either im afraid which just seemed to be accumative with each dose, I only had the One dose GCSF injections after each chemo so it was given slightly different to yours so your expierences may be very differnt,
I think i was just very unlucky with mouth problems it was proberly the worst SE for me along with the fatigue, not everyone suffers with mouth problems though so please try not to worry as you may be fine, everyone reacts differently and everyone gets different SEs .

You take care be kind to yourself , and i hope any SEs you may have are few.
Lots of hugs
Linda x

libby_2010

Hi I had Neupogen on days 5,6,7 after 2-6 chemos as after the 1st my WBC and were down and although they remained good after that with injs my onc wanted me to stay on them right through.I had hip pain ( legs and pelvis after 1st inj) and only mildly after that.It started within the 1st 24hrs Certainly I was able to do an aerobics class which clashed with day 6 inj.Sandra hope the back pain settles soon Re the sore mouth my understanding is that the chemo affects all our cells and those that renew quickly like all through our gastro-intestinal tract starting in the mouth are the ones to be hit hard . I think mouth ulcers are due to low immune system but poor taste means the taste buds have been hit by the chemo.Certainly I started chemo when there was snow on the ground and had to have swine flu jab before I started but got through with no infections other than a split thumb 'pad' which got infected and I had a-b. Good Luck Sandra. Jackie

sandra4

Hi Ladies,
Glad you mentioned about the bone pain, because l have already got pain around my lover back, l don't like looking up side effects, l sometimes think when you don't feel 100% you imagine all sorts of pains, but this pain started late this afternoon. Look forward to it going in a couple of days then?
Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, had both neupogen and neulasta, main side effect bone pain as most white cells are produced in your large bones, ie hips. Mine kicked in after about 24 hrs and lasted a day or two. They also made made me nauseous. No neutropenia after the jabs, the nadir with fec is between day 7-14 usually. Hope you are ok.

Guest user
Not applicable

Sandra,
I had my 4th FEC on Friday, and now due 4 TAX. I have had the injections for all FEC and they will continue through the TAX. The only real side effect I had was bone pain during the first two courses of injections... if I can remember, the pain kicked in about day 5/6. Primarily in my back but only lasted a few days.
I have never had a low blood count, so they work for me.
Good luck for the rest of your chemo.
Marguerite

sandra4

Granocyte, does it work for you?

Having just started chemo, l have been given an injection of Granocyte for 10 days after each chemo.

I was wondering how many others have been given this, and for how long?

My thoughts are, the side effects like sore mouth are surely caused by low immune system, as is fatigue, to which l put down to chemo, but is it because our white blood cells are low?

After my 10 days l will know the answer!

Are there any ladies that have not had the injections? And if so how bad were the sore mouths, fatigue and general well being?

And those ladies that have had the injections, do you think they have helped? With regards to not having so many side effects?

Hugs
Sandra xxx