Grrrr - watch out for import charges on head coverings

Just thought I’d warn everyone about this. I spent £30 over the Internet on four scarves, turbans etc from a US company, including express delivery. I thought I was getting them at a reasonable price, but now I have got a bill for an extra £22 for import tax. I am very cross. Just don’t want it happening to anyone else.

I had the same problem and kicked up a right stink with fedex who sent me the bill and they have waived the charge as goodwill. Still waiting for a response from the US company.

HI CRYST & Chrissie I ordered goods from Usa CO, poss the same one , on 14th Jan 08, after many e mails (from which I got no reply from) eventually had to phone , yet still no feedback. One last very theatening e mail , then an acknowledgement , Sent FED EX but would not charge me !!! I had already paid bill on my credit card a month before ,SO VERY BIG of them to let me have FREE FED EX. Do you think we should be naming and shaming, at least to prevent our fellow BC mates the same problem … Bobbie

Hi,

Corsa did you get your goods? I did - delivered very quickly by fedex, but then got the tax bill from fedex a few weeks later. They had already paid the tax on my behalf so I didn’t even get the pleasure of telling Customs what I think of them. I ordered from Headcovers.com. The stuff looks OK (haven’t had to wear it yet), and their website does actually say that I could be charged import tax, so I don’t know if it is worth complaining to them. Of course I didn’t take any notice of that at the time - it is such a paltry sum of money, and not as if I am importing arms or high technology items or anything. It sucks. Chrissie, how did you complain to fedex?

Just to follow up on this and let you all know that Fed-ex is my new best friend. After I phoned to query the charge they investigated and have waived it as a goodwill gesture. They were brilliant about phoning me up and keeping me posted while they were looking into it and spent ages explaining it to me. I have never known customer service like.it. (How unlike British Gas, but that’s another story.)

Just to warn you all again though - although it was a very small value of goods it was liable to import duty and the customs people really do whomp it on, charging tax on the shipping as well as the cost of the items, plus a charge of their own. So please beware if buying from abroad.

I bought from Headcovers and wasn’t charged any tax - does the charge kick in over a certain amount, or is it only on certain items?

Hi All

Me too. I found headcovers excellent and great stuff too when you need it. I was never charged by Fedex or anyone else.

Cheers

Dilys